Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Who will be the team leader?
Washington 12 46.15%
Broome 2 7.69%
Evans 5 19.23%
Clark 4 15.38%
Cumberland 1 3.85%
Team effort 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Leadership Role

We are losing a big time leader on the court in Troy Caupain and in a smaller sense Kevin Johnson. I think Troy was very much a glue guy and a player the team looked to in tough situations. He also helped energize the team when we needed it. Kevin knew the Bearcat culture inside and out and worked his butt off on D. They will be missed.

So who is going to step up and assume the role this year?

Washington is a vocal player and has done a very good job of patting guys on the back when a good play is made or picking them up when needed.

Broome will have the ball in his hands the most and we could use him stepping into the Caupain type role.

Evans is in his 3rd year and should be in line to be a leader this year if he has it in him.

Clark is in his 4th year and it would be nice to see him take on a more vocal role if he can.

Cumberland will be a soph and seems like more of a guy who will get it done on the court more than being a vocal guy but who knows.

Other...it will be a team effort...there will be no clear leader.

Last edited by waterhead; 08-02-2017 at 11:33 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Lol can you change "Nobody" to "Other"? Nobody just sounds so bleak haha.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Lol can you change "Nobody" to "Other"? Nobody just sounds so bleak haha.
LOL good idea...you're right

I was thinking team effort but "nobody" sounds bad
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
It is always best if the leadership can come from your best player. If Jacob can step up and assume that role, that will be best for this team. I would like to see Gary be more vocal but I'm not sure that is his personality.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
It is always best if the leadership can come from your best player. If Jacob can step up and assume that role, that will be best for this team. I would like to see Gary be more vocal but I'm not sure that is his personality.
I agree. I sure would love to see both of them take charge a little more in huddles etc. They don't have to be "rah rah" guys but we need guys who can say "this is what we need to do right now" when the time comes.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #6
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
LOL good idea...you're right

I was thinking team effort but "nobody" sounds bad
Haha I got it after seeing your post. I went to vote first and was like damn lol.

If it was "All" or "Other" or whatever you could vote for Quadri Moore or Jenifer if you really wanted to.

I voted for Clark. 4 year starter. He's been around the block. He has himself at the point where he can play through anything and still make an impact on the game. He's very unselfish too. That's a good quality. His laid back demeanor might actually help this team too imo. Everyone is so geared up for a quicker pace with Broome, but Clark's steadiness can help keep things in check if we get going a little too quickly and start turning it over or making bad decisions. Clark showed more moves in the post last year than I remember from him in his FR or SO season too. He's become a guy who can demand the ball and get a bucket. It may not be his style to scream and yell and get everyone all fired up, but he certainly leads by example. Any young guy here, or any recruit on a visit or whatever could look to Clark on how to be a class act.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Leading by example is not a bad thing. Clark can tough it out like the best of them.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Haha I got it after seeing your post. I went to vote first and was like damn lol.

If it was "All" or "Other" or whatever you could vote for Quadri Moore or Jenifer if you really wanted to.

I voted for Clark. 4 year starter. He's been around the block. He has himself at the point where he can play through anything and still make an impact on the game. He's very unselfish too. That's a good quality. His laid back demeanor might actually help this team too imo. Everyone is so geared up for a quicker pace with Broome, but Clark's steadiness can help keep things in check if we get going a little too quickly and start turning it over or making bad decisions. Clark showed more moves in the post last year than I remember from him in his FR or SO season too. He's become a guy who can demand the ball and get a bucket. It may not be his style to scream and yell and get everyone all fired up, but he certainly leads by example. Any young guy here, or any recruit on a visit or whatever could look to Clark on how to be a class act.
Very good points about Clark. He is rock steady. Doesn't give up...doesn't complain. Doesn't back down. He has made big plays on both sides of the ball when it counts.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:06 PM   #9
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:

He showed more moves, but he didn't score any more than the year before (+.4, although averaged a couple fewer minutes, so better %)...seems to have settled into the role of hitting the boards, playing "D" and getting his 10 points. That's an important role. I would like to see him up his point production...maybe 12-13 pts./game, but if others increase their production, i'll take what Gary has.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #10
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
I believe Clark's the inspirational leader and Washington is the on floor cheerleader.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote