Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #41
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer151 View Post
Tradition is definitely important regardless of how long ago it was. It's much better to talk about having national championships and final 4's than to not be able to talk about that. However your point is still valid on some levels. First off if we are going to land high major kids the schools we are recruiting against will have similar traditions to point to as well. Kids today care about being on TV, going to the tournament, playing time, how many kids the program has sent to the NBA, style of play, facilities, geography, and many other specialized areas. If you dont have those things your tradition wont mean much especially if its over 50 years ago. Tradition we have. It's the other things that concern me going forward. We have sent one player to the NBA in Mick's tenure. Our arena and locker rooms are crap. We are not in a P5 conference. Just fixing those three things right there would have a much higher impact on recruiting than program tradition in my opinion.
Thank you. Exactly what I was trying to say. I'm not trying to diss our history/tradition. I'm aware it's a big deal. My point is it's simply not as important as current things going on, such as what you've mentioned.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #42
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
I know a popular topic here is Micks ability, or lack thereof, to find shooters. I think its going to be even more important the next 3 years for Mick to find these guys. The offense will revolve around Gary for 3 more years, and Mick is going to have to make teams pay for doubling. Having guys that can knock down the 3 off the dbl team is going to be critical for this team going forward. Hopefully Troy Kevin Cobb and Evans can be these guys
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:32 PM   #43
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
This is a great thread.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #44
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Hopefully Troy Kevin Cobb and Evans can be these guys
And the 3 that are currently here are 76-190 from 3 in conference play. Exactly 40%.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #45
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
This is a great thread.
Agreed. Nice discussion with valid points all across the board. Nobody being too harsh and no overreacting/taking things personally. More like these please!
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #46
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
Cronin is not present at games or practices (drills), not even close to 24/7.

Clark is not 6'10". If JL embraced role, no telling how good he could have been. KJ was mini cobb in some big wins last year. Bishop also much more consistent and apparently healthier last year.

Bottom line, we lost a lot more than just SK. We lost two 4 year seniors who had leadership and played majority of career in BEast and coach of year for majority of season.
Who the hell is bishop?
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #47
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
I agree with most of what's being said. In summary, we're currently a "good" program, but we all want to get back to being "great." We can agree on that.

One thing I'd like to say though: Can we cut the crap about how amazing we were in the '50s and '60s? That literally has nothing to do with today. Nothing. I'll give you the Huggins years as recent success that we're striving to get back towards, because that's still relatively fresh, but no programs tout success from 50+ years ago. Yes, that era is what built the program, but a heck of a lot of programs used to be stellar and are now literally nothing. We still compete year in, year out. You know who else won titles in the '50s and '60s? CCNY, La Salle, San Francisco, Loyola Chicago, and Texas Western. Where are they now? After how abysmal we were in the '80s, it's a miracle that we've made 18 of the last 23 NCAA tourneys.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. We could certainly be a better program right now, but we also could be a lot worse. We've had a lot of ups and downs, as every program has, other than say UK, Duke, Kansas, and UNC. Just because we were dominant in the '50s-'60s never meant we were going to be stellar forever.
come on man. Oscar has statue outside gym and is at games courtside. NO player under Huggins could sit next to big o and look good.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #48
Bulldog01
Banned

Quote:
I personally think our recruiting has been alright. We have good players. And next year when we know for sure how to use them all, I'm expecting a 27-4 type regular season with a top 3 NCAA seed. We CANNOT whiff on the 2016 class though like we did in 2011. That would be unacceptable to me.
Recruiting has been cool. Development of the players has been horrible. Not to mention it seems every year couple players were ineligible or transfer
Old 03-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #49
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Cincinnati is second in the league in shooting percentage. Yeah look it up. The last 4 games they have 4 players averaging double digits so things are taking a positive turn offensively and next season the team returns every major contributor.

This season likely will make five in a row the program makes the NCAA. It's time the school invests in the program and markets it. The head coach has done his job with a very poor budget, below average facilities and minimal marketing and selling of the program.

The future is bright and now it's time for the boosters and admin to go all in. I completely agree about recruiting but the school needs to do its part to give the staff the competitive edge it needs as well.

Last edited by bearcat jeff; 03-06-2015 at 09:05 PM.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:28 PM   #50
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Big O is a living legend. His name still comes up all the time in the basketball world. I know all the recruits watch NBA and see what Westbrook is doing. When you watch OKC the announcers bring up every game that in February, Russell had 30 PPG 10 APG 9 RPG. He is the 2nd person ever to do that in a month. The other is Oscar, and he did it 12 times. His name still carries a TON of weight and his accomplishments are brought up regularly. They showed him with Bill Russell at the All-Star festivities just this year too.
C'mon! Oscar averaged (averaged!) a triple double for an entire freaking NBA year! And really, he more or less (don't quibble about a tenth of a rebound here or half an assist there) did it for five freaking years!!!

That said, prospective recruits don't give a rat's ass about that ancient history...hell, to today's high school kids, the Korean War is on a par with Julius Caesar...Vietnam Nam might as well have been just after Lincoln...they never experienced a world without iPhones for God's sake. Make some noise in the tourney today, not back when their grandpas were listening to Elvis, & they will come.
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote