Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2018, 12:14 PM   #371
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
It's interesting that some bracketologists are ignoring the NCAA bracket preview. For instance, Lunardi has Florida instead of Oklahoma as a 4 seed. That doesn't make much sense to me, if the goal is to predict what the selection committee will do. Some have an automated algorithm, or predict results for the rest of the year. But if you're predicting the bracket using current resumes (as Lunardi does), why would you not match the committee's own bracket?
he figured his stuff doesn't really match the committee at the end of the year, so why start now!
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:21 PM   #372
lumberjack

lumberjack has a spectacular aura aboutlumberjack has a spectacular aura about
https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/2/11...tion-committee

Look who thinks we are a favorable match up. It does not look like this link will work. You can access the article through the site.

Typical

Last edited by lumberjack; 02-12-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Now the link works
lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #373
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post

Look who thinks we are a favorable match up. It does not look like this link will work. You can access the article through the site.

Typical
Kentucky would be lucky to score 50.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #374
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjack View Post

Typical
I don't think these teams realize what they're up against...until we're up by 20 and they're left reeling and wondering what's happening.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:40 PM   #375
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Knox is their only consistent player. We would dominate them defensively.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:45 PM   #376
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
This Jay Bilas comment is getting a lot of coverage:
Quote:
A road win over Rider is valued the same as a home win over Villanova. Both are Quadrant 1 wins.
Jay is simply wrong. Two teams being in the same quadrant does not mean they are valued the same. It just means they passed the first sorting algorithm together. RPI Groups are meant to be used as aggregates, not to analyze individual games. Over an entire season, Group records generally are a good unbiased way to initially rank teams. If a team has only Group 1 wins that are of similar quality to @Rider, then there is a problem. But realistically, everyone's Group 1 games will be a mixture of teams in the top, middle and bottom of the Group. Complaining about the extremes is shortsighted. The new system is way better than the old one.

Last edited by sedziobs; 02-12-2018 at 02:49 PM.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #377
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

Jay is simply wrong. Two teams being in the same quadrant does not mean they are valued the same. It just means they passed the first sorting algorithm together. RPI Groups are meant to be used as aggregates, not to analyze individual games. Over an entire season, Group records generally are a good unbiased way to initially rank teams. If a team has only Group 1 wins that are of similar quality to @Rider, then there is a problem. But realistically, everyone's Group 1 games will be a mixture of teams in the top, middle and bottom of the Group. Complaining about the extremes is shortsighted. The new system is way better than the old one.
Lots of that on social media. I agree with you the more I think about it. No matter the cutoff, you'll be able to say "How can Villanova count the same as _______".
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #378
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

but to his point, using the rpi for the quadrants is a problem because the rpi is such a bad metric at determining how good your team is. buffalo and rider have no business being quadrant 1 wins.

if you applied the same rules for each quadrant and applied it to kenpom, then i think that tells a much clearer picture of how good your wins are.

his problem is with the rpi.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:31 PM   #379
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
his problem is with the rpi.
I understand his main position, and I agree that RPI is vastly inferior to Kenpom. I think he's overreacting and misleading people though. If you replaced Rider with Fresno St, you have the same problem with Kenpom.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #380
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I understand his main position, and I agree that RPI is vastly inferior to Kenpom. I think he's overreacting and misleading people though. If you replaced Rider with Fresno St, you have the same problem with Kenpom.
but didn't the committee show that they kinda just go by the overall group 1 and 2 wins and didn't really dig too far into where within the group they were?