Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be outcome of the UConn game?
UC wins by 21+ 8 30.77%
UC wins by 13-20 13 50.00%
UC wins by 1-12 3 11.54%
UConn wins 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #261
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogsack View Post
I'm surprised nothing was mentioned on Cane's sick play after the free throw miss in the second half. He chased the ball down in the corner and made a great pass to the open man (who proceeded to miss the bunny). Cane stripped the ball on transition and threw down a 2 handed dunk......who knew Cane could dunk! That's special....something JJis incapable of!
Broome dunked in one of the Cayman Islands games I think it was.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:25 AM   #262
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Just got done watching.

Cumberland is really good. He's becoming very complete.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 AM   #263
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
It was interesting to hear Lunardi talking about our seed chances. Right now we are a 3. Even if we win out he doesn't see us moving back to a 2. He didn't rule it out though. WSU as a 4 right now could flip flop with us if they beat us again in regular season. If we met again in the finals...the committee could easily just flip flop our seeds again without much thought if they wanted to.

So if we win out regular season...we are a 3 seed basically.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 AM   #264
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just got done watching.

He gets us a lot of easy buckets when he assists. Cumberland does the work and then makes it very easy on someone else. Best passer on the team. Cane is similar with his assists...he creates a lot of them.

This is opposed to just passing the ball to another player in our standard sets and someone making a shot. Jenifer and Evans get more of those.

Now if we can just get more of his 3s to fall.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:37 AM   #265
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just got done watching.

His overall game is certainly improving. I would like to see him be more consistent from the arc. When him and Evans knock down some 3's we are a much better offense.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 AM   #266
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Kyle seemed a bit dejected last night. He wasn't his typical vibrant self. We need his positive energy out there. I hope it's just a one game thing.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:55 AM   #267
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Cane also had a horrible missed gamble in the press allowing the ballhandler to blow by. Then Kyle compounded the mistake by being flat footed in the lane and giving up an easy layup. It was just one bad play, but I think representative of the reason why Mick doesn't play them together. We can talk about their offensive potential all we want, but I believe defense is the reason they don't play as much as many here want them to.

A play I was surprised Broome didn’t get pulled for but now it makes sense cause Jenifer was sick.

I was dumb at the time it happened and thought mick was letting him play through the mistake.

But against Wichita state we were +3 with the best 5. Last night +7 in 3 minutes.

I understand what you’re saying, but we also shouldn’t act like we still don’t play solid defense with the best 5. We also make mistakes when neither are out there on defense.

Outside of Gary, Cumberland, and Evans our guys make defensive mistakes. Moore has a terrible habit of giving up baseline and has slow feet side to side. Jenifer struggles with quickness. Brooks fouls a ton.

And if we had bench players that were good enough to get a lot of minutes vs the top teams I could see it. But I don’t feel like we are there. Moore and Nsoseme aren’t ready for the big games, I’ll never believe we are better with those 2 in over Broome or kwash.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 AM   #268
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
On top of Moore's shooting it was nice to see Tre Scott have some meaningful contributions on both ends of the floor. If he can be that big who can give us a few extra minutes off the bench every game without disrupting our offensive flow, that would be huge. Only downside is that he's shooting under 50% from the foul stripe during conference play. He started the year off much better.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 AM   #269
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
just flat out never going to happen. and those of us thinking maybe something would change are idiots.
I am one of those idiots and I probably still have just a little bit more idiot left in the tank (for this year only)...lol!

I know history is repeating itself but if it weren't for coming out of the horses mouth I wouldn't even consider it a possibility.

When Cronin says "We are going to need some play makers in march" I learned it has to mean something so much different to him than us. Like...he doesn't mean guys like Kyle or Cane. He means the other guys are going to magically become elite play makers by shear will I guess. Like Evans is going to become Brunson or Jenifer is going to play like Young etc. Maybe not to that degree but he is expecting more than they can give us. He has tried to feature Evans to a fault. You can't force a guy to become SK. You have to realize limitations and try something different at some point.

We beat an awful team last night and we didn't learn much other than he is still not going to let Cane and Kyle play for 30 minutes through certain mistakes...whatever they are. Whatever his reasoning is (even if he is right) I don't like our chances nearly as much in March if we can't use them for as many minutes as they can stay on the court.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:20 AM   #270
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post
On top of Moore's shooting it was nice to see Tre Scott have some meaningful contributions on both ends of the floor. If he can be that big who can give us a few extra minutes off the bench every game without disrupting our offensive flow, that would be huge. Only downside is that he's shooting under 50% from the foul stripe during conference play. He started the year off much better.
It was nice to see. I just don't know how much stock to put in it. Uconn was awful and I haven't seen these two guys (or any bench guys outside of Cane for that matter) really put together multiple good games against the best competition.

Tre looked pretty darn good. Moore was loose and when he is he can knock down some shots. But it has to translate to bigger games. It's a nice step in the right direction I guess.