Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be outcome of the UConn game?
UC wins by 21+ 8 30.77%
UC wins by 13-20 13 50.00%
UC wins by 1-12 3 11.54%
UConn wins 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2018, 02:30 PM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I'm sorry but what are we basing this off of? Who's to say Cane wouldn't have been able to score given the chance to actually play? All he has done in close games against good competition is prove he's our biggest prime time player who doesn't hide when the lights are on.
he just said the other day cane can't play against good teams because he can't finish around the rim vs them.

just ignore it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
Quadri's #1 fan

Quadri's #1 fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree if we lose we should definitely be worrying but if we win I don't see how it could possibly give us confidence we'll win in March.
I never said it should give us confidence. If you lose it means this team isn't mentally strong. All of these big games going down to the last second should really make us worry I guess. I'm hoping that in March we have players that will step up and play like it's their last game, and maybe we will have all of our best players play well. There has only been a single game all year where we were absolutely out played and were never in it, and it was our first road game against our biggest rival. The only way this game will give me confidence is if Broone starts and does well. I think we win by 14, but I'm hoping it's more. Their defense needs to get back on track, and if it doesn't then we're bound to have a disappointing March. Also we can only hope Cronin get's his head out of his a** with all these substitution, and not letting the players play.
Quadri's #1 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #23
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
he just said the other day cane can't play against good teams because he can't finish around the rim vs them.

just ignore it.
No, I said he can dribble past guards but can't finish against the bigs waiting for him to block his shot. That's defense 101 against a guard like that. And yesterday he beat the defense once and got blocked pretty badly going one on four the other time he tried to take it himself. My point on Cane has always been he's good but has to play within what he can and can't get away with at this level. He can't and won't consistently score putting his head down and driving against defenses even at the AAC level of competition
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
I'm sorry but what are we basing this off of? Who's to say Cane wouldn't have been able to score given the chance to actually play? All he has done in close games against good competition is prove he's our biggest prime time player who doesn't hide when the lights are on.
I'm basing it on the length of Houston on defense and the fact they literally held and pushed every play. He nor anyone can get past a guy holding him. Cane is a lot of things but strong isn't one of them. He's not powering through anybody and a smaller guard wouldn't have been effective shooting in traffic. That's why Moore played and why Jacob ran point

Also, he's what a 55 percent free throw shooter? Why play him when all your points have to come from the line?

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 02-19-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
No, I said he can dribble past guards but can't finish against the bigs waiting for him to block his shot. That's defense 101 against a guard like that. And yesterday he beat the defense once and got blocked pretty badly going one on four the other time he tried to take it himself. My point on Cane has always been he's good but has to play within what he can and can't get away with at this level. He can't and won't consistently score putting his head down and driving against defenses even at the AAC level of competition

what happened the other times he took it to the rim yesterday?
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #26
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
what happened the other times he took it to the rim yesterday?
In transition he scored....no one would ever argue he can finish in transition. In the half court I remember him driving twice. Once he snuck a shot in under an arm and the other one of four guys blocked him.

We don't play fast pace nor was anything vs. Houston going to be transition. You can disagree all you want, but play in, play out, half court offense, Cane won't be a high level scorer if he tries to just dribble to the hoop and finish against defenses waiting to collapse in on him. Maybe he can find an open guy, but it's simply not an offense Mick will ever run or allow a guy to run unless we're trailing and nothing else is working.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 02-19-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I admire your ability to stay positive. I really want to remain that way. But I'm just so depressed about the team. Unless we change it up, we will continue to drop these big games. It's that simple. And our coach hasn't shown in the past that he's willing to change. So it's just hard to expect the results to be different. We have Washington and Broome for a reason. Use them both. Period.
I thought we talked a lot about how he has changed over the course of the past few seasons, especially with the recruits he is targeting. People do tend to stick to their roots, obviously you want/have to evolve to a certain point, but there is nothing wrong with focusing on what made you good in the first place. I think Mick is trying to figure out this offensive thing, it might not be working all that well sometimes, but when in the past would we have used our 3 as the PG. I agree with everyone stance on cane, he clearly gives us our best chance to win. And if there is one thing I find frustrating right now about Cronin is his unwillingness to admit that, or whatever you want to call it. Cane has also been going through a rough patch up until this game. But I just can't on board with the whole, we aren't what we thought we were train. I still think this is a very good team, capable of winning big games. Jut because a couple didn't go our way, doesn't change my thinking about that. We were a couple shots away from beating Fl, and Wichita state; and even Houston.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I thought we talked a lot about how he has changed over the course of the past few seasons, especially with the recruits he is targeting. People do tend to stick to their roots, obviously you want/have to evolve to a certain point, but there is nothing wrong with focusing on what made you good in the first place. I think Mick is trying to figure out this offensive thing, it might not be working all that well sometimes, but when in the past would we have used our 3 as the PG. I agree with everyone stance on cane, he clearly gives us our best chance to win. And if there is one thing I find frustrating right now about Cronin is his unwillingness to admit that, or whatever you want to call it. Cane has also been going through a rough patch up until this game. But I just can't on board with the whole, we aren't what we thought we were train. I still think this is a very good team, capable of winning big games. Jut because a couple didn't go our way, doesn't change my thinking about that. We were a couple shots away from beating Fl, and Wichita state; and even Houston.
Team is still good, just need to adjust the weaknesses good teams have managed to show and exploit
Old 02-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #29
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
In transition he scored....no one would ever argue he can finish in transition. In the half court I remember him driving twice. Once he snuck a shot in under an arm and the other one of four guys blocked him.

12:56 of first half

15:01 of 2nd half

7:15 of 2nd half

were in the half court. so he drove it 4 times in the half court resulting in 3 scores and a block out of bounds.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #30
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

We don't play fast pace nor was anything vs. Houston going to be transition. You can disagree all you want, but play in, play out, half court offense, Cane won't be a high level scorer if he tries to just dribble to the hoop and finish against defenses waiting to collapse in on him. Maybe he can find an open guy, but it's simply not an offense Mick will ever run or allow a guy to run unless we're trailing and nothing else is working.
So put in the guys who score 0 points. That's always the solution. And that's why we lose these kinds of games. Why did we bring Washington and Broome in? Bc we realized in order to beat good teams we needed guys who can score? That's what I thought...yet every time we play one of those teams, we MUST sub one of them out for over half the game in favor of guys who score 0. There is no point in trying to change what we do, if when the moment is there, we are too afraid to try to outscore a team. It ends up being the same thing as it was when we didn't have guys like that. It's depressing. We will get knocked out in the tournament as soon as we play a team with good offense. Bc instead of running good offense ourselves, it is our reflex to put 2 guys on the floor who contribute nothing in order to stop them from scoring. But you never totally stop teams like that, and now you're just playing 3 vs 5 on offense.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote