Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-22-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
My opinion was Cronin and the program should be judged by last year and this year. Last year was a terrific season and a loss to a good UCLA team in the 2nd round. Ultimately it wasn't what I wanted and hoped for better, but it was a solid year.

This season has been mostly good. It was a great year up to losing to WSU at home. It's not that that 1 loss is the difference between a good year and a bad year, but it highlighted the other losses we've had against good competition. That WSU put this season on notice. Lose at WSU, lose in the conference tourny and lose in 1st weekend of the tournament and this season is a failure. I think for this season to be considered a success the Cats must:

1) Advance to the sweet 16 or:
2) Win out (beating WSU on the road and winning the conference title and tournament)

Anything less than that is a failure. I have hope for this but it's pretty slim now. I'm concerned by Cronin's substitutions and not keeping Washington on the floor for a scoring punch. I'm concerned about the misuse of Broome this season. Cronin will need to change in order for this season to be a success.

As for next year...less optimism. But if Jacob stays, Cumberland improves, Broome gets to play his game and the bigs improve a little....could have a solid season. SHould be enough for the NCAA tournament but I wouldn't bet on a sweet 16 at this point. Have to see.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 AM   #12
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
i thought we'd be so much better this year because of Broome. Either he hasn't adjusted to the game at this level as well as I thought or the coach is stubborn and won't play his best players the most.

Maybe it's just that Caupain/Jenifer and KJ/Cumberland were better than Jenifer/Broome and Cumberland backed up by ???
I think one thing is for certain.

This team misses the leadership and winning ways of Troy caupain.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #13
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I think one thing is for certain.

This team misses the leadership and winning ways of Troy caupain.
I have harped on this since day 1. The leadership he provided, whether you liked him or not, was outstanding. I always loved TC.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #14
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think so far the season is similar to last year. There is still a good chance it can be better. Cronin is on record that we are going to have to score points in March...and that defense can only take you so far. You have to get buckets.

It's time to make that switch after watching the last two games. We need to make the switch and get comfortable with it now for the next three games so we have a chance @ WSU and in the tourneys.

Free up Kyle and Cane to play. Take them out if they make a couple of dumb mistakes but then coach them up and put them back in. We can't be sitting them for 10 minutes at a time. We need these guys offensive games to be sharp heading into the stretch run. We can't be subbing all the time...it just breaks up the flow and doesn't allow for players to get comfortable.

If Cronin doesn't do this...and all that talk about scoring in March was just coach speak...I think he will have officially hit his peak as a coach.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #15
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think so far the season is similar to last year. There is still a good chance it can be better. Cronin is on record that we are going to have to score points in March...and that defense can only take you so far. You have to get buckets.

It's time to make that switch after watching the last two games. We need to make the switch and get comfortable with it now for the next three games so we have a chance @ WSU and in the tourneys.

Free up Kyle and Cane to play. Take them out if they make a couple of dumb mistakes but then coach them up and put them back in. We can't be sitting them for 10 minutes at a time. We need these guys offensive games to be sharp heading into the stretch run. We can't be subbing all the time...it just breaks up the flow and doesn't allow for players to get comfortable.

If Cronin doesn't do this...and all that talk about scoring in March was just coach speak...I think he will have officially hit his peak as a coach.
I look at projected seed and teams we would play in the second round and we really should be fine. I just want all our confidence to be on an all time high going into the tourney by beating WSU twice.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #16
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I have yet to feel that regular season big win though this year. Last year beating ISU and ending their streak and beating Xavier at home will make that regular season hard to beat.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:24 AM   #17
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
My opinion was Cronin and the program should be judged by last year and this year. Last year was a terrific season and a loss to a good UCLA team in the 2nd round. Ultimately it wasn't what I wanted and hoped for better, but it was a solid year.

This season has been mostly good. It was a great year up to losing to WSU at home. It's not that that 1 loss is the difference between a good year and a bad year, but it highlighted the other losses we've had against good competition. That WSU put this season on notice. Lose at WSU, lose in the conference tourny and lose in 1st weekend of the tournament and this season is a failure. I think for this season to be considered a success the Cats must:

2) Win out (beating WSU on the road and winning the conference title and tournament)

Anything less than that is a failure. I have hope for this but it's pretty slim now. I'm concerned by Cronin's substitutions and not keeping Washington on the floor for a scoring punch. I'm concerned about the misuse of Broome this season. Cronin will need to change in order for this season to be a success.

As for next year...less optimism. But if Jacob stays, Cumberland improves, Broome gets to play his game and the bigs improve a little....could have a solid season. SHould be enough for the NCAA tournament but I wouldn't bet on a sweet 16 at this point. Have to see.
Yep...I'm with you. And to add to it, I just want our players to win something in their 4 years here. Clark has no AAC Title, no AAC Tournament Title, No Sweet 16 (and beyond), and a losing record overall in the postseason. That needs to change for him this year. At least some of it. We had a 3 game lead with 6 to go in the AAC, and now it's looking like we may have to share the title with 2 other teams. That's disappointing no matter how you slice it. So we need to win this thing outright, win the conference tourney, or make it to the second weekend. After all, we were picked to win the league and we were Top 15 to start the year. It shouldn't be too much to ask for our guys to walk away with something in their time here.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #18
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I look at projected seed and teams we would play in the second round and we really should be fine. I just want all our confidence to be on an all time high going into the tourney by beating WSU twice.
We will go 0-3 against Wichita if we try to do what we did on Sunday.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #19
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

I'm with you and agree with everything except point 2 you provided. If we win out and win the conference tourney but then done make it past the first weekend this season is a disappointment to me. Any team that's ranked in the top 15-10 most of the season that doesn't make it to the sweet 16 should be disappointed. Making the tourney or winning your first game is no longer impressive.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #20
ME80

ME80 is on a distinguished road
Okay I have had a few days now to "cool down" so its time to respond. Obviously this week the forum has turned very negative to the season, the future and the coach. Some of it is warranted some is not.

First of all on the negative:

I absolutely hate when coach gives his "statistics". On the show the other night he talked about what they have done in their wins and what they didn't do in their losses. I believe this is apples and oranges. The stats he uses for the wins are definitely better because they are against lesser competition. Better teams will find a way to score no matter how good your defense is. There will be games that we just need to be able outscore the better teams. With this said UC did shoot 48.1% for WSU game, had a better FT percentage, outrebounded them, had less turnovers, and only was outscored by 2 in the paint. Granted these stats were all very close. The killer in my opinion was that two of arguably best scorers were carelessly aggressive, committing 7 turnovers on some questionable drives, many of which should have been passed back out.

Cane Broom definitely needs to see more time. Jennifer turns the ball over less but he has lost the ability to stress the defense of better teams. Holding the ball, being too cautious and not getting some penetration causes what should be called a "team turnover", getting too late into the clock and being forced into a bad shot.

With the negative out of the way I believe that Cronin still gets an unfair shake around here. I know I will be the target here but the arm chair quarterbacks definitely come out after losses. I break down the 4 losses this way.
X: Coach definitely needs to come up with a different way to prepare his players for that game emotionally. X always comes out on an emotional high
Florida: 21 turnovers, some literally unforced, gave that game away
Houston: Outrebounded and out muscled along with a lousy shooting night, probably played his starters way too many minutes
Wichita State: Stats very even, my thoughts on why they lost are above

Ended up arguing with other fans around me at the game Sunday. Before the game everyone is bitching that Cronin didn't give his starters enough rest the other day against Houston, then proceeded to bitch every time a starter was taken out. If I remember it correctly coach went back to the starting 5 at one point in the first half and subsequently had three bonehead plays in a row from Evans, Cumberland and Washington. I think if this team is asked to play this intense defense they definitely need to use the bench. I truly believe that when they play too many minutes it affects their shooting at the end of the game. If the feeling is going forward that you cannot depend on the bench they will need to resort to more zone to give a periodic break.

This season is not over as many believe.
ME80 is offline   Reply With Quote