Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2016 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #1401
culverrd

culverrd is on a distinguished road
For goodness sake Mick just grab 2 grad transfers already and fill the spots. Its absolutely no risk but the reward and benefits could be huge for this team in the long run. Its a no brainer.
culverrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #1402
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by culverrd View Post
For goodness sake Mick just grab 2 grad transfers already and fill the spots. Its absolutely no risk but the reward and benefits could be huge for this team in the long run. Its a no brainer.
I think the trick is finding someone who can play on the wing and is worse than Kevin Johnson. We all know Johnson will start at the 2 over Cumberland. So in order for Cumberland (not Johnson) to get minutes, we have to get a bench only guy. Cumberland has to play. And he will. But it will be as a backup 2/3. There's basically no way Cronin would bench Johnson for him I don't think. So in order for both of those guys to stay in the rotation, we need someone who is willing to accept a limited role. That's not easy to do. So instead of reaching out to an Andrew White type, we have to find someone worse. Bc if we got someone good enough to command minutes, it'd be obvious that Johnson should be the odd man out. And Cronin wouldn't have that. Even if Johnson shoots 30%. Bc Johnson is a SR and a captain (and bc our coach doesn't use stats). Being a program guy trumps talent for Cronin. So it's challenging to actively pursue players who can be good enough to get spot minutes, but are bad enough to firmly stay behind a guy who has posted a 10.0 and 10.7 PER in his 2 years of playing time but has been named a captain regardless of the actual production.

*At least that's how this observer has seen things go down this spring.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #1403
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
wondering if XU signing Bernard is a reaction by Mack considering Myes Davis is being charged with Domestic violence. He may be done at X if convicted.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #1404
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Chris Mack was at Cvg this morning. Took every ounce of me not to say anything to him.

Also, Larry Davis was at the airport too and he said he is out on the recruiting trail. I told him to bring em home!
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #1405
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I think the trick is finding someone who can play on the wing and is worse than Kevin Johnson. We all know Johnson will start at the 2 over Cumberland. So in order for Cumberland (not Johnson) to get minutes, we have to get a bench only guy. Cumberland has to play. And he will. But it will be as a backup 2/3. There's basically no way Cronin would bench Johnson for him I don't think. So in order for both of those guys to stay in the rotation, we need someone who is willing to accept a limited role. That's not easy to do. So instead of reaching out to an Andrew White type, we have to find someone worse. Bc if we got someone good enough to command minutes, it'd be obvious that Johnson should be the odd man out. And Cronin wouldn't have that. Even if Johnson shoots 30%. Bc Johnson is a SR and a captain (and bc our coach doesn't use stats). Being a program guy trumps talent for Cronin. So it's challenging to actively pursue players who can be good enough to get spot minutes, but are bad enough to firmly stay behind a guy who has posted a 10.0 and 10.7 PER in his 2 years of playing time but has been named a captain regardless of the actual production.

*At least that's how this observer has seen things go down this spring.
I would think we could find a walk-on who would almost fit this description...lol!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:24 AM   #1406
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
wondering if XU signing Bernard is a reaction by Mack considering Myes Davis is being charged with Domestic violence. He may be done at X if convicted.
If Mack can just decide to get a guy that quickly, that doesn't say a lot for our coaches. They've been coming up empty for months trying to find a guy like Bernard.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #1407
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
If Mack can just decide to get a guy that quickly, that doesn't say a lot for our coaches. They've been coming up empty for months trying to find a guy like Bernard.
Mick most likely could have signed Kevin Noulowe or even Solly Stansbury. They just weren't a fit for the program. I'll trust their decisions as to why that is, but we could have done the same think Mack just did but passed.
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #1408
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Mick most likely could have signed Kevin Noulowe or even Solly Stansbury. They just weren't a fit for the program. I'll trust their decisions as to why that is, but we could have done the same think Mack just did but passed.
Agreed. Those players are playing at Delaware State and Richmond. Obviously we didn't care to have them. The one I thought looked good was the big guy from LA Tech that went to ISU. Oh well. We will be fine.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:07 AM   #1409
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Noulowe isn't a wing and Stansbury wasn't eligible this upcoming season.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:15 AM   #1410
culverrd

culverrd is on a distinguished road
Exactly Noulowe is a Juco he would be taking up 2 years that isn't what we need unless he blows you away with potential and like Jacobkdoyle said Stansbury wasnt eligible this year. We need grad transfers who provide depth and quality practice bodies that dont take any 2017 scholys. No risk possible high reward guys that dont effect our 2017 recruiting class at all...

It shouldn't be that hard we dropped the ball on Bernard. Mack out recruited and grabbed him easy or we are just dumb to see that he is literally no risk whatsoever in signing him for a grad transfer year and who knows what he could bring to the team if its nothing and he gets no playing time who cares we probably will pocket the scholys like we do every freaking year and waste them...
culverrd is offline   Reply With Quote