Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #181
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
The reason the AAC doesn't get a lot of top 75 recruits is because the conference sucks. Outside of the top 3 what top recruit would actually come play in this dumpster of a conference if they have a better option. Not to mention that there is no exposure.
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #182
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected1 View Post
The reason the AAC doesn't get a lot of top 75 recruits is because the conference sucks. Outside of the top 3 what top recruit would actually come play in this dumpster of a conference if they have a better option. Not to mention that there is no exposure.
I love your upside.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:28 PM   #183
Protected1
Banned

Protected1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I love your upside.
Thanks
Protected1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 PM   #184
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
I love your upside.
Cincinnati does play on national television for 85 percent of there games. Agree about the conference even though it's getting better. This is why most of the time we get athletes with shooting and offensive issues. Still Cincinnati and cronin is doing something right. He might be the best recruiter of diamond in roughs in the nation.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #185
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
Cincinnati does play on national television for 85 percent of there games. Agree about the conference even though it's getting better. This is why most of the time we get athletes with shooting and offensive issues. Still Cincinnati and cronin is doing something right. He might be the best recruiter of diamond in roughs in the nation.
This^^

I was going through highlights of the year so far, and it is crazy how balanced we really are. Also, how incredible evans and clark are in defending. Id feel safe saying they are the best defensive duo in the country. All without hardly fouling.

I almost tear up thinkin about clark being a senior lol
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #186
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I get it. I'm just saying the whole argument is predicated on the idea that our recruiting is subpar. And it needs to be tweaked. The tweaking already happened though. Years ago. That's why it's not a coincidence that we're good now. We started opening ourselves up to landing transfers and getting headliner HS kids with BB IQ and more offensive ability. We also started filling out the roster to build up the pipeline. So here we are. We're getting the production of a 5* from guys with over 100 games of experience. We have 4 guys who have scored over 1,000 points in D1. What more could you want? There's a misconception that all these other programs are rolling in McD talent. It's really only 2 places. That's why I brought up that interview with Self. Look at Purdue this year if you want, Florida when they won, UConn, Butler, Villanova, Michigan State, etc. Senior-laden teams are worth something in this sport. We have a system that builds to that. Obviously I'd like to make deep runs, send players to the NBA, and sprinkle in a top player who can put us over the top. But I just don't think we need to dream about it all day bc we're in some cold reality where we get scraps. That just isn't that case. We have players up and down our roster who would get snatched up in a second by proven winning coaches if they were to become available.

I get that people just love to talk about it. It just seems like it is discussed at times as if it is separate from what we actually see on the court. I mean, for 2018, I don't give a crap how many stars Logan Johnson is...it seems the sites can't even agree on that. He looks like a beast athlete who will be a pest in the AAC for years, especially as he fills out. His brother is in the NBA on a big contract, so who says he can't make it there too? And factor in that he is in a culture where every player is motivated and pursuing their dream. It's a healthy environment to work on your craft. So I'm just using him as an example...but is he a one and done? No. But spending a year with 2 SR PGs and a long list of guys who have won a hell of a lot more than they have lost in the locker room has to make him better. Practicing with these guys every day has to make him better. Working as hard as our guys do with Rehfeldt has to make him better. So by year 3, who gives a crap how many stars he was coming out? He'll be a seasoned winner with all the support and tools he'll need to succeed.

I'm to the point where I'll just trust who we get bc I know that every player we offer has winning traits and is being brought in bc there is a clear path to a shot at a successful career. Evans even said it himself in a video..."It's weird how our coaches can find guys that all fit in and have the same goals" or something like that. The more I see how our program operates, the more I believe that culture transcends any rating system.

So long story short, I don't think our recruiting is broken so I apologize if hat I go back to one thing when I see the strategies being discussed on how we can be better or why we simply can't be.
Look at UK this year, the 5 star powerhouse. On Saturday against Florida their starting line up going into this year was ranked: Kevin Knox (11), Nick Richards (18), PJ Washington (15), Hamidou Diallo (10) and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (31).

Gilgeous Alexander may start over Jennifer but probably not Broome (not to get into that argument), but other than that, our entire starting 5 would start over their entire starting 5. And each one of those kids that were all ranked in the top 20 in last years rankings. Jarred Vanderbilt (12) would get serious minutes on our team once he gets into shape but besides him, the rest of those kids would be riding the bench. Will they be better NBA players than ours, sure I guess. But luckily for us, thats not the criteria.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #187
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
Look at UK this year, the 5 star powerhouse. On Saturday against Florida their starting line up going into this year was ranked: Kevin Knox (11), Nick Richards (18), PJ Washington (15), Hamidou Diallo (10) and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (31).

Gilgeous Alexander may start over Jennifer but probably not Broome (not to get into that argument), but other than that, our entire starting 5 would start over their entire starting 5. And each one of those kids that were all ranked in the top 20 in last years rankings. Jarred Vanderbilt (12) would get serious minutes on our team once he gets into shape but besides him, the rest of those kids would be riding the bench. Will they be better NBA players than ours, sure I guess. But luckily for us, thats not the criteria.
If UK would guard anybody they would be fine but he hasn't been able to convince them that they can't out score everyone.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #188
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
If UK would guard anybody they would be fine but he hasn't been able to convince them that they can't out score everyone.
I guess my larger point was that the recruiting rankings are largely based upon NBA potential. The top 25-50 guys may come in, play 1 year and go to the pros, but it doesn't make them a better player at 18 than Gary Clark is at 22. If our goal is to make deep runs in the tournament and win one, we can do that just fine by having players who develop within the program as evidenced by this season. To advance, you need impact players. It doesn't matter how old they are so long as they still have eligibility. We have 2 guys, Evans and Clark, that would start for damn near any team in the country, and 2 more that have days where they look better than Evans and Clark in Washington and Broome.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #189
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I guess my larger point was that the recruiting rankings are largely based upon NBA potential. The top 25-50 guys may come in, play 1 year and go to the pros, but it doesn't make them a better player at 18 than Gary Clark is at 22. If our goal is to make deep runs in the tournament and win one, we can do that just fine by having players who develop within the program as evidenced by this season. To advance, you need impact players. It doesn't matter how old they are so long as they still have eligibility. We have 2 guys, Evans and Clark, that would start for damn near any team in the country, and 2 more that have days where they look better than Evans and Clark in Washington and Broome.
Yeah I completely agree. That's what I'm saying with a guy like Logan Johnson coming in too. Obviously it's risky bc you can't miss on these kind of guys very often. I know we've brought it up before, but the 2011 and 2012 classes really were responsible for why we had a dip on the court a few years ago. But for Johnson, we can bring him in now, teach him how we do things, and then cut him loose big time as an upperclassman, when he'll be more physically mature. The hunting for 5* players option would be to hope to God we can land a PG one by any means necessary in the 2020/2021 classes. Then get the production we need in year 1. That's just not really a route we can afford to take. Coach has said himself that we'll take anyone we can get. But we're not going to sell the farm to do it.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #190
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I agree completely. We are not a one and done [program which is more then fine with me. The creation of P-5 has mandated this type of approach. My issue is many of our own fans continue to move the bar. Its not enough to win we now have to do it with a certain flair. Winning isn't entertaining enough. SMDH!!! That is why big time recruits don't want to play for us. We are Boring. Anyone out there that thinks winning is boring I really don't have a problem with him going elsewhere.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote