Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #121
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
Beat the person that's guarding you -get into the lane= high percentage shot/ foul shots or offensive rebounds. 3 pointers usually are lower percentage shots/ don't draw fouls and don't create offensive rebounds.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #122
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I actually don't mind who does the scoring really. If Gary and Jacob want to keep doing what they have been I will be just fine with that. They can defend and fill up a stat sheet. We have other players who prefer to be more aggressive. I am sure Kyle and Jarron won't mind and I don't think the offense will work quite as well if all of them want to maximize their touches.

I guess I was just looking at this from a standpoint of Jacob and Gary building some value for their pro careers. If they are happy with the status quo...so am I. I would just hate to see them get overshadowed because they are willing to defer to other players. They are such good all around BB players who would probably stand out more (to scouts) on teams with fewer options to score.

Again, I will be just fine with them "letting the game come to them". With that being said I think our offense could work a little better if Evans were able to penetrate just a little more so he can get the defense moving and open up other players. He would also draw a few more fouls and probably get a few more easy buckets on the year.
Please stop! This is nonsense! We played f*cking Embry-Riddle.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #123
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Please stop! This is nonsense! We played f*cking Embry-Riddle.
The other night KU played Pitt State and won 100-54. BUT Devonte Graham only had 6 points and made only 1 shot from the floor in 23 minutes!! Oh no!!!!!!!! I bet that message board is lighting up with people who are just a little concerned about the situation! He just wasn't into the game at all! He deferred to his much less experienced teammates! They really needed him to step up this year too bc they lost Mason. Oh well, I guess he's just happy with the status quo!

^Do you see how ridiculous that would be? Take out the exclamation points and sarcasm, and that's pretty much what you sound like about our star players.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #124
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I said it before and I'll say it again. Some players are naturally aggressive and some aren't. But its not like all aggressive players are good and all others are bad. You dont have to be aggressive to be good.

Gary and Evans are who they are and thats damn good players. They make the right play each time and don't worry about their own stat sheet.

KW and Cumberland are more naturally aggressive, sometimes choosing to take their own shot instead of maybe the better overall play. KW has forced up bad shots with 3 defenders on him multiple times in his career here while somebody is standing wide open in the corner for a 3. But you take the bad with the good cause thats who he is as an overall player.

Absolutely nothing wrong with either type of player. For every time I think I wish Gary would have been more aggressive I think I wish KW would have passed that. Its ok, its part of the game.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #125
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The other night KU played Pitt State and won 100-54. BUT Devonte Graham only had 6 points and made only 1 shot from the floor in 23 minutes!! Oh no!!!!!!!! I bet that message board is lighting up with people who are just a little concerned about the situation! He just wasn't into the game at all! He deferred to his much less experienced teammates! They really needed him to step up this year too bc they lost Mason. Oh well, I guess he's just happy with the status quo!

^Do you see how ridiculous that would be? Take out the exclamation points and sarcasm, and that's pretty much what you sound like about our star players.
This topic of Gary and Jacob being more aggressive has been brought up way before these games. Think people are referring to their aggression in general, not these games. Really no reason for a vet to take an exhibition serious.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #126
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again. Some players are naturally aggressive and some aren't. But its not like all aggressive players are good and all others are bad. You dont have to be aggressive to be good.

Gary and Evans are who they are and thats damn good players. They make the right play each time and don't worry about their own stat sheet.

KW and Cumberland are more naturally aggressive, sometimes choosing to take their own shot instead of maybe the better overall play. KW has forced up bad shots with 3 defenders on him multiple times in his career here while somebody is standing wide open in the corner for a 3. But you take the bad with the good cause thats who he is as an overall player.

Absolutely nothing wrong with either type of player. For every time I think I wish Gary would have been more aggressive I think I wish KW would have passed that. Its ok, its part of the game.
I agree, it’s a mindset. Can still be a good player even if you are not as aggressive as Kenyon or Hicks. It’s just a different style of play. Sometimes you see people develop it but most of the time you don’t. Think everyone sees Jacobs athleticism and skill and wants him to be a Kenyon like, take over the game type player. And if he doesn’t he is still really good
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #127
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
This topic of Gary and Jacob being more aggressive has been brought up way before these games. Think people are referring to their aggression in general, not these games. Really no reason for a vet to take an exhibition serious.
Just seems like that convo has really ramped up since the scrimmage and exhibitions.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #128
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Waterhead has specifically mentioned this topic based on what he's seen so far.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:59 AM   #129
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Waterhead has specifically mentioned this topic based on what he's seen so far.
Right. This is not about Embry Riddle! It's about a scrimmage and 2 exhibitions for two guys who have been tasked BY THE HEAD COACH to become more aggressive not less aggressive. I am sure Kyle and Jarron were not tasked with the same thing yet they came out guns blazin. Perhaps they didn't get the memo from coach to get the other players involved.

If you are working on something in off season or practice to become more aggressive then what better time to try that than before the season starts against inferior opponents to get used to it and see if it works?

And since when did "I am a little concerned" become a huge overreaction to something? I am a little concerned that they may not have it in them...but I also think they will be just fine because they are already great players. No big deal...we have aggressive players out there...not everyone has to be.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #130
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Notice...I didn't say the sky is falling. Or those two will never amount to sh&t. I said I am a little concerned so far. I hope they make me look stupid for saying it.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote