Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #381
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I would just love to see him develop a move going over the other shoulder. he would be unstoppable.
100%
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #382
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I hope they are all putting in the work everyday. It's really on each player if they want to improve. Would love to have a year similar to last year, with a couple more tourney wins
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #383
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
100%
Jake I watched him from floor level seats and the amount of overplay he gets is crazy. he throws up some ugly shots to be able to go to his dominant hand. Strangely enough some still go in. If he learned to drop step and go back the other way he would kill the opposition.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:06 PM   #384
UClaw89

UClaw89 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=waterhead;167514]I hope nobody confuses what I was saying about Kyle shooting 3's and this particular issue.

His 2 point FG% (and overall shooting %) has increased dramatically over the years. Even with more attempts. I understand he's not a volume 3 guy and his % from there could be inflated due to that. But he is a volume 2 guy and his % is getting better and better AND better every year.

I hope he has better shot selection next year...if he does I could see his FG % going up again. This year he made a good % even with some bad selections.[/QUOTE

I don't think Kyle should shoot any threes. We have other guys who can do that Jaron, Jacob and the new PG. We do want to see him get more agressive around the basket. I think we can safely say he is a thoughtful person which makes him somewhat reserved. Hopefully he will learn to loose that in the of a game and become a maniac like he did for a couple of minutes at the end of the UCLA game. Is this resonating with anyone?
UClaw89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:19 AM   #385
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I hope they are all putting in the work everyday. It's really on each player if they want to improve. Would love to have a year similar to last year, with a couple more tourney wins
I have been pretty impressed with what Mike Rehfeldt gets accomplished in the off season. He is one of the best in the country IMO. Most of the guys seem to put in a lot of work. The results of all but one or two guys has been impressive over the last couple of years. It's hard to make those transformations if you aren't dedicated. My hat goes off to the players as well...they have to put in the hard work.

I would like to start seeing more work on skills in the off season but we rarely get to hear too much about what players are working on...we just get the weight room stuff.

Oh...and I can't wait to see Broome in action. It's been a long time since we've had a dynamic PG running the show. Looking forward to seeing what Williams brings to the table as well. Not that I am not excited about seeing Moore or Nsoseme play.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #386
waterhead
Senior Moderator

[quote=UClaw89;167565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I hope nobody confuses what I was saying about Kyle shooting 3's and this particular issue.

His 2 point FG% (and overall shooting %) has increased dramatically over the years. Even with more attempts. I understand he's not a volume 3 guy and his % from there could be inflated due to that. But he is a volume 2 guy and his % is getting better and better AND better every year.

I hope he has better shot selection next year...if he does I could see his FG % going up again. This year he made a good % even with some bad selections.[/QUOTE

I don't think Kyle should shoot any threes. We have other guys who can do that Jaron, Jacob and the new PG. We do want to see him get more agressive around the basket. I think we can safely say he is a thoughtful person which makes him somewhat reserved. Hopefully he will learn to loose that in the of a game and become a maniac like he did for a couple of minutes at the end of the UCLA game. Is this resonating with anyone?
I think that may be a bit much. I can understand the philosophy of wanting to try to get it down low first...especially against inferior opponents. But when we play against a good defense I prefer to go ahead and shoot the open shot when it comes up. He makes a decent % so I wouldn't shut him down all together from 3.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #387
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
[quote=waterhead;167585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UClaw89 View Post

I think that may be a bit much. I can understand the philosophy of wanting to try to get it down low first...especially against inferior opponents. But when we play against a good defense I prefer to go ahead and shoot the open shot when it comes up. He makes a decent % so I wouldn't shut him down all together from 3.
Yeah and if Clark is getting post touches, sometimes Washington just needs to be above the 3 pt line to get his man out of the way. Why people are so hell-bent on having the old Cronin 2 post players who don't shoot outside offense is beyond me.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #388
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Here is my main thing with Kyle. His confidence not to shrivel up in big games. Concerning his 3's...here is how it looks.

RI...2-3
ISU...1-3
But...2-4
Temp...1-3
Hou...1-3
Uconn...3-5
UCF...2-5
SMU...1-4
UCF...1-2

44%. He made 14 of his total 15 threes in bigger games. Over 90% of his makes were in big games or closer games...and at a good %.

Here are some games Kyle didn't attempt a 3.

Albany
Penn State
Samford
Lipsicomb
Tex South
Farleigh D
Marshall
Tulane
ECU
Tulane
SF
SF

So what I like about Kyle is his confidence to shoot in big games and make a good % of them. Other players will get nervous and defer shots to other players or they will take more 3's against bad competition. I don't want him to not shoot in big games if other players are going to defer. We keep hoping Evans will shoot more as an example. It's going to be easier for Kyle to find 2's against inferior opponents and sometimes against better teams or better D's he's going to have to take an open shot from 3.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #389
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Here is my main thing with Kyle. His confidence not to shrivel up in big games. Concerning his 3's...here is how it looks.

RI...2-3
ISU...1-3
But...2-4
Temp...1-3
Hou...1-3
Uconn...3-5
UCF...2-5
SMU...1-4
UCF...1-2

44%. He made 14 of his total 15 threes in bigger games. Over 90% of his makes were in big games or closer games...and at a good %.

Albany
Penn State
Samford
Lipsicomb
Tex South
Farleigh D
Marshall
Tulane
ECU
Tulane
SF
SF

So what I like about Kyle is his confidence to shoot in big games and make a good % of them. Other players will get nervous and defer shots to other players or they will take more 3's against bad competition. I don't want him to not shoot in big games if other players are going to defer. We keep hoping Evans will shoot more as an example. It's going to be easier for Kyle to find 2's against inferior opponents and sometimes against better teams or better D's he's going to have to take an open shot from 3.
I did not include the last 5-7 games because that is when I think Kyle took a different approach or perhaps was restricted. He passed up his normal open looks and his % went down as a result IMO. I don't think Kyle decided because he went 0-1 in a couple of games that his confidence was shaken and decided not to shoot as many. This is my opinion and nothing more
Old 03-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #390
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

RI...2-3
ISU...1-3
But...2-4
Temp...1-3
Hou...1-3
Uconn...3-5
UCF...2-5
SMU...1-4
UCF...1-2

Albany
Penn State
Samford
Lipsicomb
Tex South
Farleigh D
Marshall
Tulane
ECU
Tulane
SF
SF

His stats are not padded by shooting against patsies AT ALL. In fact it is the exact opposite.

Last edited by waterhead; 03-30-2017 at 11:19 AM.