Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Who will be worse, Memphis or USF? Also will either have enough for a team?
Memphis will be so much better than USF it's not even funny. And that has not a thing to do with Memphis. USF is that bad. They'll be one of the worst teams in D1 basketball.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM   #32
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Stop expecting things from Tulsa. They suck. Returning sucky players doesn't mean you won't suck. Frank Haith literally destroys everything he touches. They've gotten worse as his players have come in. He's an awful coach. They are bad. They will continue to be bad until he is gone. I know I joke about Haith a lot, but he really is that bad. They'll be incredibly lucky to go 8-10 in the league. Not every team gets better every year.
Agree. Just because a team is young, doesn't mean they will improve in my opinion. ECU will be the same also
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #33
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Memphis will be so much better than USF it's not even funny. And that has not a thing to do with Memphis. USF is that bad. They'll be one of the worst teams in D1 basketball.
Last I heard Memphis had 2 scholarship players and one of them is transferring. They may be better but they will still be terrible
Old 04-11-2017, 03:44 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Agree. Just because a team is young, doesn't mean they will improve in my opinion. ECU will be the same also
Kind of like us from 2014-15 to 2015-16. We were obviously better than Tulsa is now, but just an example of returning players not meaning a whole lot if they aren't that great. Again, we were better, so no disrespect to those teams of ours. But we were kind if maxed out. Ellis, Thomas, etc didn't have much room left to grow. That's how Junior Etou is imo.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #35
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Last I heard Memphis had 2 scholarship players and one of them is transferring. They may be better but they will still be terrible
Damn I didn't know it was that bad for Memphis. Big spring for them.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #36
SMOOfan98

SMOOfan98 is on a distinguished road
SMU fan here:

Ponyfans is always a ton of rumors, which is what free boards are, but to clarify:

McMurray will not redshirt, unless something crazy happens, but haven't heard anything other than a rumor about that (He will be a Junior). Semi coming back is a 50/50. He is already considered "old" so another year won't matter, Semi enjoyed playing college ball this year and isn't in a "have to go situation." So it all depends on his draft grade. While I agree that his stock probably wouldn't go up a ton(there is still room for him to improve his game/stock AND next years draft is much lighter and could move up 10-15 spots just because it is not as deep. Last I heard, most people in the know felt good about the odds of Semi being back, but too early to know.

We are very guard heavy next year. Shake, Jimmy Whitt(who will start, looks real good in practice), Foster, Douglas(4-star freshman), McMurray(in December), along with Emelogu off the bench.

We are in the grad-transfer big man market (few good options) to go along with two 3-star big men coming in(one HS, one prep)

If Semi is back we should be real good (at least a Top 25 team), if he is not, we will likely be a bubble team.

Last edited by SMOOfan98; 04-11-2017 at 03:54 PM.
SMOOfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #37
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Wow so by playing 3 games McMurray burned his SO year and only gets to play a little over half the year as a JR? Crazy. He could have as few as 23 games between 2 years of his eligibility.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:21 PM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOfan98 View Post
SMU fan here:

Ponyfans is always a ton of rumors, which is what free boards are, but to clarify:

McMurray will not redshirt, unless something crazy happens, but haven't heard anything other than a rumor about that (He will be a Junior). Semi coming back is a 50/50. He is already considered "old" so another year won't matter, Semi enjoyed playing college ball this year and isn't in a "have to go situation." So it all depends on his draft grade. While I agree that his stock probably wouldn't go up a ton(there is still room for him to improve his game/stock AND next years draft is much lighter and could move up 10-15 spots just because it is not as deep. Last I heard, most people in the know felt good about the odds of Semi being back, but too early to know.

We are very guard heavy next year. Shake, Jimmy Whitt(who will start, looks real good in practice), Foster, Douglas(4-star freshman), McMurray(in December), along with Emelogu off the bench.

We are in the grad-transfer big man market (few good options) to go along with two 3-star big men coming in(one HS, one prep)

If Semi is back we should be real good (at least a Top 25 team), if he is not, we will likely be a bubble team.
I hope he does come back. I hope that SMU is great. It is always a lot more fun season when there are a lot of good teams to play. (Like the big east days). I think you guys lost a lot losing brown and moore. Those guys were as solid as it gets, and seemed like they were there forever
Old 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #39
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Damn I didn't know it was that bad for Memphis. Big spring for them.
I sometimes listen to gary Parrish radio show sometimes. Cbs college bball guy from Memphis, he says it's the worst Memphis team in his lifetime and he's 40 something years old. not a great situation according to him
Old 04-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #40
SMOOfan98

SMOOfan98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I hope he does come back. I hope that SMU is great. It is always a lot more fun season when there are a lot of good teams to play. (Like the big east days). I think you guys lost a lot losing brown and moore. Those guys were as solid as it gets, and seemed like they were there forever
Yeah, we really hope he does too, but he is a GREAT kid so I just hope he makes the best decision for him. I would understand either way.

Brown and Moore will be loses for sure. Real good players. Brown was a swiss army knife do it all player, but I don't think we will feel his loss as much, just because Foster is such a similar player and we will have such a deep backcourt. Moore is really gonna hurt, because his versatility and our lack of frontcourt experience. Gary Clark is that kinda player for y'all, like Moore, who doesn't stand out on the stat sheet every night, but has real solid numbers and does everything you need.

Quote:
Wow so by playing 3 games McMurray burned his SO year and only gets to play a little over half the year as a JR? Crazy. He could have as few as 23 games between 2 years of his eligibility.
Yeah.. it really is a bummer, wish he had sat out all year. If he wanted to redshirt, we would let him, but everything I have heard is that he wants to/is working to be ready for December.

Last edited by SMOOfan98; 04-11-2017 at 04:32 PM.
SMOOfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote