Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 07:05 AM   #421
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
The game last night improved our offensive efficiency but lowered our defensive efficiency, now at #37 ( up from I think 44?) and #15 ( down from #11), respectively via KP. The offense is probably right where it should be. Need to get the defensive # up, I think we are way better than the #15 defense in the country.
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 AM   #422
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
The game last night improved our offensive efficiency but lowered our defensive efficiency, now at #37 ( up from I think 44?) and #15 ( down from #11), respectively via KP. The offense is probably right where it should be. Need to get the defensive # up, I think we are way better than the #15 defense in the country.
I have watched 3 recent games now where it seems like the starters were pulled in favor of the bench when we had a good lead. Only to put the starters back in all three times because the lead was cut.

All 3 of these games affected our defensive efficiency because we were doing just fine before those points and after the starters were put back in. I really want to get the bench minutes and to avoid injury if possible.

Our starters won't be pulled all at once in close games in March or any other time. They will get breathers. If we sub one or two guys I don't think our defense takes those Kenpom hits to efficiency. I would imagine this might be the last game we see an early blowout.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #423
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
I think with Washington and Cumberland out there, it hurts your defense. They are mainly out there for offense (which we need).
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #424
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I have watched 3 recent games now where it seems like the starters were pulled in favor of the bench when we had a good lead. Only to put the starters back in all three times because the lead was cut.

All 3 of these games affected our defensive efficiency because we were doing just fine before those points and after the starters were put back in. I really want to get the bench minutes and to avoid injury if possible.

Our starters won't be pulled all at once in close games in March or any other time. They will get breathers. If we sub one or two guys I don't think our defense takes those Kenpom hits to efficiency. I would imagine this might be the last game we see an early blowout.
I agree, if you play the bench, it going to hurt your overall numbers but you just hope it helps in the long run. If someone gets in foul trouble in a tourney game they have to be ready.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 AM   #425
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Not really worried about the defense in the postseason since the starters will play most of the game. I am MUCH more concerned about running good offense and not resorting to standing around and just running 1-4 flat sets for Troy at the top of the key. You can't just stop running anything and expect to get good shots...particularly with a team where no one can consistently beat their man off the bounce.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 AM   #426
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Not really worried about the defense in the postseason since the starters will play most of the game. I am MUCH more concerned about running good offense and not resorting to standing around and just running 1-4 flat sets for Troy at the top of the key. You can't just stop running anything and expect to get good shots...particularly with a team where no one can consistently beat their man off the bounce.
Yah...we should be able to run just about any type of set we want when you have bigs who can shoot from the perimeter and are also good low block scorers. We have the ability to knock down 3's from all 5 positions. If it's late in the clock we should be able to clear the lane out and let either Troy or Jacob start from the top of the key and either drive or shoot a pull up J.

Bottom line is we can't change the philosophy so much on the road. We are top 11 at home shooting %. We tighten up on the road so much.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #427
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I agree, if you play the bench, it going to hurt your overall numbers but you just hope it helps in the long run. If someone gets in foul trouble in a tourney game they have to be ready.
I agree. You need your bench to be ready. But you need your starters to be able to play 32 - 38 minutes if needed. If you take your starters out but the other team leaves their starters in, their starters are better than our bench. Advantage: other team. This is what happened with SMU. The announcer said just that. It was a very valid point. Unless we shoot less jump shots, and get them in foul trouble. But the last two years on the road against them, we have been unable to take advantage of our depth.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #428
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
I agree. You need your bench to be ready. But you need your starters to be able to play 32 - 38 minutes if needed. If you take your starters out but the other team leaves their starters in, their starters are better than our bench. Advantage: other team. This is what happened with SMU. The announcer said just that. It was a very valid point. Unless we shoot less jump shots, and get them in foul trouble. But the last two years on the road against them, we have been unable to take advantage of our depth.
Interesting I have looked at "starter minutes" from players in the AAC. Our top minute guy is ranked like 20th in our own conference in minutes played per game. They should be "rested" more than most teams out there.

You would think guys like Troy, Gary, Evans, Washington, KJ, etc are really high minute guys...but they really aren't in the grand scheme of things. There are other coaches wearing their players down a lot more. We should not be at a disadvantage here in March.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:03 PM   #429
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Interesting I have looked at "starter minutes" from players in the AAC. Our top minute guy is ranked like 20th in our own conference in minutes played per game. They should be "rested" more than most teams out there.

You would think guys like Troy, Gary, Evans, Washington, KJ, etc are really high minute guys...but they really aren't in the grand scheme of things. There are other coaches wearing their players down a lot more. We should not be at a disadvantage here in March.
I'm not worried about them being rested. I'm worried about them not being used to 35 minutes
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #430
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Just did my initial Reddit poll and this is assuming Notre Dame wins.

I can see us going anywhere from 17-19, but I can't see a single way we fall out of the top 20.

Let me know what you think:
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote