Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
rbmac61

rbmac61 is on a distinguished road
Offensive Performance

We won. That's most important. Typical first game with young players looking a bit undisciplined, especiall the young point guard. Mick will settle them down.
A long standing concern is the imbalance between offense and defense. Strong and disciplined on D. Mick has a quick hook if they don't give their all on D.
But O. Seems like the same old pass around the perimeter and take a shot. Glad Savannah St got tired to give us easy baskets. But I continue to see way too many 3's when the bigs are standing under the basket. This will need to change when we play the big boys.
Again, its only the first game. Get that O moving and passing. And penetrating. Some the the subs, Jennifer, did a nice job driving to the basket.
That was not a great zone D we faced and there needs to be way more patience in getting the ball inside.
rbmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #2
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmac61 View Post
We won. That's most important. Typical first game with young players looking a bit undisciplined, especiall the young point guard. Mick will settle them down.
A long standing concern is the imbalance between offense and defense. Strong and disciplined on D. Mick has a quick hook if they don't give their all on D.
But O. Seems like the same old pass around the perimeter and take a shot. Glad Savannah St got tired to give us easy baskets. But I continue to see way too many 3's when the bigs are standing under the basket. This will need to change when we play the big boys.
Again, its only the first game. Get that O moving and passing. And penetrating. Some the the subs, Jennifer, did a nice job driving to the basket.
That was not a great zone D we faced and there needs to be way more patience in getting the ball inside.
It was a zone that’s the shots you get when you face a zones
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
rbmac61

rbmac61 is on a distinguished road
True. If all Mick wants to do against a zone is shoot threes....
We seem to have a really good 3-baller mentality. When you live by the 3 you die by the 3 on those nights when the rim gets tight.
Looking for some aggressive play to drive it inside on a zone. Then dish it off to Clark and big Kyle. They were standing there while the rest pumped from the 3 pt line. I hope I'm wrong but if we go cold against UCLA, X or the Wheat Shockers....we will regret not having developed a penetrating offense against zones.
rbmac61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It was a packed 2-3 zone... you can complain about the turnovers and transition 3 defense but dude, we want our guys hitting 3's when they are wide open. Cane Broome hit 5 alone from the same spot in the key.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #5
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
True. If all Mick wants to do against a zone is shoot threes....
We seem to have a really good 3-baller mentality. When you live by the 3 you die by the 3 on those nights when the rim gets tight.
Looking for some aggressive play to drive it inside on a zone. Then dish it off to Clark and big Kyle. They were standing there while the rest pumped from the 3 pt line. I hope I'm wrong but if we go cold against UCLA, X or the Wheat Shockers....we will regret not having developed a penetrating offense against zones.
When teams run a zone it’s extremely hard to rebound especially against us cuz of our size. I would have liked to see Kyle be more agressive on the offensive boards he would have got more points that way, I’m not sure how we ended the game, but at the half we had 20 second chance points compared to their 0. That’s because you can’t rebound the ball defensively well in a zone especially without size.

The only problem i saw on offense was turnovers.

Cane needs to be the guy that settles us down, in the second half he did not do that for us today.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Williams didn't have problems getting to the bucket. I would advise him against shooting so many 3s when he can get in the lane every other time he touches the ball.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #7
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Williams didn't have problems getting to the bucket. I would advise him against shooting so many 3s when he can get in the lane every other time he touches the ball.
I'm not sure if Williams made a 3 since the red and black game. He's probably around 50-60 percent on his 2s though (guessing). He's got my green light to drive... I would hold him back on 3s just a little.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #8
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
It was a zone that’s the shots you get when you face a zones
The shots you settle for. Can get better shots but its harder. If teams couldn’t get better shots, every team in the country would play zone.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:09 PM   #9
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
It was a packed 2-3 zone... you can complain about the turnovers and transition 3 defense but dude, we want our guys hitting 3's when they are wide open. Cane Broome hit 5 alone from the same spot in the key.
Exactly, I don't see why people are mad about the 3s we shot pretty well from deep. You take out the 0-10 to start the second half and it was a great game from beyond the arc. And yeah I was like why do they keep letting him shoot these lol
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Exactly, I don't see why people are mad about the 3s we shot pretty well from deep. You take out the 0-10 to start the second half and it was a great game from beyond the arc. And yeah I was like why do they keep letting him shoot these lol
I don’t think people are mad, more concerned. If every time you see a zone, you shoot 30+ 3s, there’s a good chance you lose. It’s been a problem for years. I’m not going to go back and look, but I would guess games where we shot 30 3s, we don’t have a good win %
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote