Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #131
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Right. This is not about Embry Riddle! It's about a scrimmage and 2 exhibitions for two guys who have been tasked BY THE HEAD COACH to become more aggressive not less aggressive. I am sure Kyle and Jarron were not tasked with the same thing yet they came out guns blazin. Perhaps they didn't get the memo from coach to get the other players involved.

If you are working on something in off season or practice to become more aggressive then what better time to try that than before the season starts against inferior opponents to get used to it and see if it works?

And since when did "I am a little concerned" become a huge overreaction to something? I am a little concerned that they may not have it in them...but I also think they will be just fine because they are already great players. No big deal...we have aggressive players out there...not everyone has to be.
Washington's best game was the scrimmage where he played with all starters. Who else was he going to get involved there?
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #132
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I said it before and I'll say it again. Some players are naturally aggressive and some aren't. But its not like all aggressive players are good and all others are bad. You dont have to be aggressive to be good.

Gary and Evans are who they are and thats damn good players. They make the right play each time and don't worry about their own stat sheet.

KW and Cumberland are more naturally aggressive, sometimes choosing to take their own shot instead of maybe the better overall play. KW has forced up bad shots with 3 defenders on him multiple times in his career here while somebody is standing wide open in the corner for a 3. But you take the bad with the good cause thats who he is as an overall player.

Absolutely nothing wrong with either type of player. For every time I think I wish Gary would have been more aggressive I think I wish KW would have passed that. Its ok, its part of the game.
I get all of this stuff and I agree. If it were not for coach telling them he wants them to be more aggressive...I would say let them play their game. But I guess coach thinks he can get more out of them without seeing diminishing returns. Maybe he's wrong and it's just not in their nature...who knows. It's all good...Clark and Evans are studs either way.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #133
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Notice...I didn't say the sky is falling. Or those two will never amount to sh&t. I said I am a little concerned so far. I hope they make me look stupid for saying it.
You already do

Sorry you walked right into that one!

If we get to the Cayman Islands and Evans is just going through the motions, I'll join you in that concern.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM   #134
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Washington's best game was the scrimmage where he played with all starters. Who else was he going to get involved there?
He scored 15 points in 15 minutes in the 1st exhibition.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 PM   #135
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You already do

If we get to the Cayman Islands and Evans is just going through the motions, I'll join you in that concern.
I knew that was coming after I posted...lol
Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #136
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I knew that was coming after I posted...lol
Haha
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 PM   #137
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You already do

I don't think Evans is ever just going to go through the motions. He plays hard all the time. He said himself he has tried to learn a little by watching Jarron. If he can incorporate just a little bit more of that ability to get in the lane...he will be that much harder to stop. If he doesn't...well...at least he tried.

I agree we can't draw conclusions at this point. I am just looking for signs really.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #138
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
This is just an FYI aggression chart LOL! Scrimmage and exhibition

Kyle 50 points in 57 minutes for .88 ppm
Jarron 52 points in 85 minutes for .61 ppm

Gary 26 points in 75 minutes for .35 ppm
Jacob 24 points in 80 minutes for .30 ppm

Ellie 28 points in 48 minutes for .58 ppm
Williams 41 points in 73 minutes for .56 ppm

In my best Allen Iverson..."were talking about exhibition?" "Exhibition...not regular season" "Exhibition?" Come on Waterhead!!

Last edited by waterhead; 11-07-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #139
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Waterhead has specifically mentioned this topic based on what he's seen so far.
That’s on me then
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #140
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
That’s on me then
It looks like this exact subject came up in Friday's pre game interview with Cronin. The question was posed to Cronin if he was concerned that Evans didn't get many shots off in pre season (after being asked to be more aggressive this year)? It sounded like a question from Chad but I can't be sure. Maybe my just asking the question this early is not so outrageous after all.

Cronin blew it off a little but also offered some tips at the same time on how Jacob can get more shots off. Rebounding and finding more ways to get open. So he was aware of it...but didn't think it was time to worry just yet. That's fine...but far from a ridiculous question to ask IMO. He said Jacob will be ready to play in big games...and I agree. But being ready and being more aggressive are two very different things. This topic was never about Jacob being able to play well in big games. It was about whether or not he would embrace the idea of being more assertive this year.

The jury is out and we will need more games to tell but the pre season was not the best sign IMO. I hope he gets it going Friday night.