Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #511
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I think you and others are assuming a lot in thinking Cane will produce like that. From his stats at Sacred Heart and what I have seen he is good at creating offense for himself, but not other players. On the other hand, I don't think Jenifer has excelled at either. So while I do think Broome should start, I don't think he's the type of player to dish to open players.

and ill keep asking. if he can't dish to open players and refuses to which seems to be the claim, why is his assistrate exactly the same as caupains was last year. it does not add up to me.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #512
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and ill keep asking. if he can't dish to open players and refuses to which seems to be the claim, why is his assistrate exactly the same as caupains was last year. it does not add up to me.
Not sure what stats you're looking at. Broome has 24 assists and 20 TO's on the season. Jenifer has 24 assists vs. 5 TO's in six more minutes played
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #513
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Not sure what stats you're looking at. Broome has 24 assists and 20 TO's on the season. Jenifer has 24 assists vs. 5 TO's in six more minutes played
im looking at assist rate

Assist Rate (ARate): This is assists divided by the field goals made by the player’s teammates while he is on the court.

broomes is 24.4. jenifers is 20.4.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:40 PM   #514
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

If you're looking straight at assists per minutes played, which I'm assuming you have to be, I'm not sure what you're really trying to argue. Caupain was a lot of things but a distributor of the ball and creator of offense was never his strong suit. So if he's only producing as many assists per minute as Caupain did and as Jenifer is with four times as many turnovers you really need to come up with a better argument
Old 12-10-2017, 01:42 PM   #515
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im looking at assist rate

Assist Rate (ARate): This is assists divided by the field goals made by the player’s teammates while he is on the court.

broomes is 24.4. jenifers is 20.4.
This is a dumb stat if he's not the one getting the assists..... which I don't think he is
Old 12-10-2017, 01:46 PM   #516
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is a dumb stat if he's not the one getting the assists..... which I don't think he is
But it indicates he's making the offense move better and there's more ball movement. If he drives into the lane, kicks it out to Evans when they crash down, Evans swings it to someone open because a different defender had to move on to him, and that player makes the shot it's not an assist for Broome but he made the play. Broome has a vastly superior ability to get into the lane compared to Jennifer.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:53 PM   #517
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Tbh, I was arguing devils advocate without looking at stats and going off the famous "eye test". But pointing out stats where he and Jenifer have played essentially the same minutes and have the same # of assists and Broome has four times as many TO's as Jenifer, it makes the argument for Jenifer to start very easy and why Cronin continues to do it.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #518
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Lots of problems to address...I just hope we can.

21 turnovers is beyond bad for us. Each of the last two teams we played was aware that Cronin loves Clark (I do to)...but when that is being taken away we need to move to plan B. It's hard to advertise what your plan is and then watch the opponent take it away. I have never seen Gary miss so many bunnies in my life...but most of them were not from a play call. Many of them were just 2nd chance missed opportunities. Gary is far from the problem but forcing it to Gary might be. We have a well rounded team so we can't get caught up in forcing certain players the ball right now. I thought getting it to Gary a lot might be a good idea...but the other team is already aware of it so...

Washington is in struggle mode. He doesn't know what a good shot or decision looks like anymore. I don't worry too much about Gary, Jacob and Jarron over time. Yes they can each have a bad game...but we will get good production from them over time.

Cane looked really awesome getting to the bucket for layups with a couple of and 1's to boot. We need that type of player in the game. He will get assists but he was doing pretty well getting to the bucket so who cares.

Where was Moore? WTF? Williams came in for about one stupid play and was pulled (which he should have been). How can you keep him in the game with a first play like that? Worried about the center spot right now too.

We just played an awful game. It seemed like every other possession was going to end in us not getting off a good shot between TO's and poor decisions...oh and WAY too many open shots and bunnies getting missed. WE had open 3 looks but missed. We missed so many bunnies.

I am not sure we can chalk this up to "per usual" kind of thing. Gary usually makes his bunnies and I am not sure why Cumberland started bricking 3's or why Evans was in TO mode. Fixing any of those things would have won us the game. We could have won that game by 10+...but we just killed ourselves time after time. I don't see that as a coaching problem...the players just kind of imploded in this one.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #519
cincrulz11
Epic Member

0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 1 assist, 1 to.

15 points, 3 rebounds, 1 steal, 1 block, 0 assists, 2 to.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:57 PM   #520
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Eye test indicates that Jenifer is physically incapable of competing and leading an efficient offense against elite teams. Unless we're working with a Devan Downey/Erving Walker type-talent, I'd rather we don't recruit sub-6 foot point guards going forward.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote