Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-04-2017, 05:01 AM   #1
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
Way-too-early disparity

Quite a few projections have us around 24 or barely in the top 25.

A few have us near the top 10.

We have to be the biggest wildcard for most annalists.

I know im bias, but I personally think 24 is insane. The people that said that low are smoking some good stuff, or just don't know anything about this team.

Cats didn't exactly finish strong, but like some others said on here, its not like they lost to bad teams.

Seems alot of these low opinions put alot of stock into what we lost.

While we will lose D, I don't think they is any denying the O will be vastly better than we have seen in almost 20 years.

I am not at all worried about the D. Cronin has proven, if nothing else, that he gets the most out of his guys on that end of the floor.

I think 16-14 is fair jumping off (still think its low but im bias).

these 24 picks need to get a clue.

This is a team that could be top 10 or more all year if things fall into place the right way.

Guess we are going to have to work our way up as a surprise.

These clowns opinions mean 0 luckly.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 AM   #2
HExus

HExus is on a distinguished road
It really irks me the more I think about it.

Not that their opinions impact the results on the court, but these morons opinions are what recruits see.

When they keep pushing the idea we are somehow a "mid major" now, and we continually get over looked.

Bearcats are a top 10 team all time and deserve that respect.

Yet teams like Gonzaga who have 0 titles and just made their first one get more respect now. Thats your "power" team now.

Cats need a big season to shut these morons up. Seriously. I'm going to be severly disappointed if they don't make a serious run next year.

If they can, with the addition of the facility upgrades, maybe we can land some decent recruits for once.

So over the media agenda.

ESPN is at the top of that list. Have the cats at 24, and they toot that mid major crap the loudest.

They are also the driving force behind all the realignment.

Bull crap propaganda.

I've had enough.

Last edited by HExus; 04-04-2017 at 05:14 AM.
HExus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
We gotta beat good teams consistently or win something. last two good teams we played, we lost by a good amount. not saying it's where we should be ranked or that it's fair but it's the reality.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HExus View Post
Quite a few projections have us around 24 or barely in the top 25.

A few have us near the top 10.

We have to be the biggest wildcard for most annalists.

I know im bias, but I personally think 24 is insane. The people that said that low are smoking some good stuff, or just don't know anything about this team.

Cats didn't exactly finish strong, but like some others said on here, its not like they lost to bad teams.

Seems alot of these low opinions put alot of stock into what we lost.

While we will lose D, I don't think they is any denying the O will be vastly better than we have seen in almost 20 years.

I am not at all worried about the D. Cronin has proven, if nothing else, that he gets the most out of his guys on that end of the floor.

I think 16-14 is fair jumping off (still think its low but im bias).

these 24 picks need to get a clue.

This is a team that could be top 10 or more all year if things fall into place the right way.

Guess we are going to have to work our way up as a surprise.

These clowns opinions mean 0 luckly.
I could see our regular season being around the same or even a little worse just because we have some new blood at the helm...chemistry could be an issue early on. One of the other important things to think about is that we won't be playing in our true home arena all year where our advantage would typically be the highest. We could hover around 15-25 for most of the season.

With that being said I think we will have a better team come March once our team gets comfortable with the new PG. I hope it happens much sooner than that. We will have play makers on the perimeter as well as inside. I could see us making a big push late in the season after stumbling a few times early to mid season. All in all I like our tourney chances much better next year than this past year. Hopefully we have enough talent to overcome some early chemistry issues and stay ranked and relevant all year with a chance at the regular season conference title. I think we can win our tourney and have better success in the dance than the past 20 years or so.

Or we could get smacked around by the committee again...lol! Unless we pick up some offensive help inside after Clark and Washington leave...this could be our best opportunity to make that big splash recruits want to see.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I could see our regular season being around the same or even a little worse just because we have some new blood at the helm...chemistry could be an issue early on. One of the other important things to think about is that we won't be playing in our true home arena all year where our advantage would typically be the highest. We could hover around 15-25 for most of the season.

With that being said I think we will have a better team come March once our team gets comfortable with the new PG. I hope it happens much sooner than that. We will have play makers on the perimeter as well as inside. I could see us making a big push late in the season after stumbling a few times early to mid season. All in all I like our tourney chances much better next year than this past year. Hopefully we have enough talent to overcome some early chemistry issues and stay ranked and relevant all year with a chance at the regular season conference title. I think we can win our tourney and have better success in the dance than the past 20 years or so.

Or we could get smacked around by the committee again...lol! Unless we pick up some offensive help inside after Clark and Washington leave...this could be our best opportunity to make that big splash recruits want to see.
Keep in mind that by November, Cane will have been practicing with the team for over a year. The team has been building chemistry with Cane the entire past season. It will certainly be different from Troy running the point, but I'm not too sure I'm worried about overall chemistry. I don't expect Williams, Moore, or Nsoseme to play much next year, so everyone on the court will have been together for a little while now.

Next year needs to be an eye-opening year for the national folks. Analysts, committee voters, recruits, etc. need to take notice. I'm talking Top 10. Like you said, Clark and Washington leaving after next year is a big worry. Evans may declare for the draft after next season, too. I think it's fair to think 2018-19 will be a bit of a rebuilding/reloading year. For that to go over smoothly, we've got to capitalize on next year, so that we're able to bring in solid recruits/transfers for 2018/2019, and continue momentum.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Keep in mind that by November, Cane will have been practicing with the team for over a year. The team has been building chemistry with Cane the entire past season. It will certainly be different from Troy running the point, but I'm not too sure I'm worried about overall chemistry. I don't expect Williams, Moore, or Nsoseme to play much next year, so everyone on the court will have been together for a little while now.

Next year needs to be an eye-opening year for the national folks. Analysts, committee voters, recruits, etc. need to take notice. I'm talking Top 10. Like you said, Clark and Washington leaving after next year is a big worry. Evans may declare for the draft after next season, too. I think it's fair to think 2018-19 will be a bit of a rebuilding/reloading year. For that to go over smoothly, we've got to capitalize on next year, so that we're able to bring in solid recruits/transfers for 2018/2019, and continue momentum.
I think this is certainly a good point but he will have the ball in his hands the most and if he likes to be the main attraction it could be a slight problem with some of the other guys who want to score. Chemistry is not a given. I think it was Chad that quoted Broome as saying something to the effect "It's not in my makeup for me to score less than 15 PPG".

That's not what Troy was about...but if the other guys get plenty of opportunities it should be fine. That will probably have to come with higher tempo. Obviously Gary has never demanded the ball and we all wish Evans was more aggressive looking for shots. I don't necessarily want this to be the Cane and Kyle show...guys who want to shoot every time they get the ball. We will need balance again. Cumberland should be plenty aggressive with his touches.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #7
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Not worth getting worked up over. I'd imagine the official preseason rankings will include UC somewhere in the Top 25 but if you're thinking we're going to be Top 10 I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think somewhere around 20 is the most likely landing spot for us. We can talk about Cane Broome all we want but the reality is that none of us have ever seen the kid play against big time competition and we haven't seen him play in Mick's system. Until he gets on the court and starts playing in games that matter it's all just speculation. No one with a vote that counts is going to put UC in their preseason Top 10 based on that speculation.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #8
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Not worth getting worked up over. I'd imagine the official preseason rankings will include UC somewhere in the Top 25 but if you're thinking we're going to be Top 10 I wouldn't hold your breath.

I think somewhere around 20 is the most likely landing spot for us. We can talk about Cane Broome all we want but the reality is that none of us have ever seen the kid play against big time competition and we haven't seen him play in Mick's system. Until he gets on the court and starts playing in games that matter it's all just speculation. No one with a vote that counts is going to put UC in their preseason Top 10 based on that speculation.
That's fair. We should be mostly concerned about an opponent to play this year for OOC that way we can climb the rankings.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #9
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post

I don't think it's too much speculation to expect "big" things from Broome when we have heard rumblings from inside the team as to who might be the most talented player on the team. If you practice against the guys on our team...one of the best defenses in the country....and people "in the know" are touting your talents...I'm not too concerned about him flopping.

I am concerned more with team chemistry than his abilities. Cronin is going to get him to play D and take care of the ball as best he can. He's going to take him out of the game if he's running his own game plan. Cane will learn and I think he and this team will be rounding into form mid to late season.

I don't know what the voters will think pre season...but that will take care of itself as time goes on.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't think it's too much speculation to expect "big" things from Broome when we have heard rumblings from inside the team as to who might be the most talented player on the team. If you practice against the guys on our team...one of the best defenses in the country....and people "in the know" are touting your talents...I'm not too concerned about him flopping.

I am concerned more with team chemistry than his abilities. Cronin is going to get him to play D and take care of the ball as best he can. He's going to take him out of the game if he's running his own game plan. Cane will learn and I think he and this team will be rounding into form mid to late season.

I don't know what the voters will think pre season...but that will take care of itself as time goes on.
I don't think it's unfair for us as optimistic UC fans to have high hopes for Broome, I just don't think the people voting on the Top 25 polls are going share the same enthusiasm to vault us to a preseason Top 10 ranking.

It's a very small sample size but Cane's numbers when his team played against better competition weren't nearly as good as when they played within their league. Again, very small sample size but he scored 8 against OSU, 12 against Rutgers and 7 against UConn. I'm very optimistic on Cane but he needs to get on the court and play in this system before I'm going to crown him as the next great UC point guard.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote