Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2017 Recruiting Profiles

Old 04-21-2017, 06:20 PM   #31
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Jacob, you are our KU insider. Is this guy the real thing? Now I'm not going to turn down a five-star unless he's a big trouble maker. Because you got to get the talent somehow.
I had not seen MD chicks message. But I'll also like to hear what Jacob has to say
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #32
kskenyon4
Elite Member

kskenyon4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Jacob, you are our KU insider. Is this guy the real thing? Now I'm not going to turn down a five-star unless he's a big trouble maker. Because you got to get the talent somehow.
If Bragg becomes a bearcat I will be stoked - Cronin does a lot of things well and one of them being not sugar coating what it will take to be a part of his program. If we go after him hard and get him, I will trust the coaching staff that Bragg will know exactly what he has signed up for. If he doesn't, chances are we have concerns and we'll get someone else.

He can be on a top 25 team for 2 years in a renovated arena playing with Broome, Evans, Cumberland. He will realize how special that core group can be.
kskenyon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #33
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
If Bragg becomes a bearcat I will be stoked - Cronin does a lot of things well and one of them being not sugar coating what it will take to be a part of his program. If we go after him hard and get him, I will trust the coaching staff that Bragg will know exactly what he has signed up for. If he doesn't, chances are we have concerns and we'll get someone else.

He can be on a top 25 team for 2 years in a renovated arena playing with Broome, Evans, Cumberland. He will realize how special that core group can be.
Agreed. It reminds me of I think it was the Skinny Podcast where Chad was talking about Washington's defense costing him minutes...and he said Washington better improve or he has no chance bc "Guess who's not going to win that battle against Coach Cronin?" lol.

I was talking to one of my hardcore KU friends last night about it and he was saying Self just couldn't get toughness out of him. And he said if Self can't, he doesn't think anyone can. I was like...DO YOU KNOW WHO MICK CRONIN IS??? Bragg shot a lot of long 2s. Grr. But he has good touch and can easily be a Washington/Clark type guy from behind the line. I don't worry about that. A year practicing could really pay off for him. And like others have said, if we take him, we know the staff looked into the situation and feel comfortable about him as a person.

We've talked about the new arena helping recruiting. We could see the benefits right away if we bring Bragg on board. As much as he "underachieved" at KU, he did average 5 and 4 in limited minutes. Feels similar to Washington in terms of not being used in a way for him to be productive. Washington could offer a lot of wisdom to Bragg about the great opportunity he could have here.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:46 PM   #34
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear on the off the court issues with Bragg, he was accused of domestic violence by his girlfriend but was found innocent after the whole ordeal was caught on camera. She was trying to choke him and he pushed her off of him. It was one of the those stories the media new was a sensitive subject and turned it into something it wasn't.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:13 PM   #35
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Just to be clear on the off the court issues with Bragg, he was accused of domestic violence by his girlfriend but was found innocent after the whole ordeal was caught on camera. She was trying to choke him and he pushed her off of him. It was one of the those stories the media new was a sensitive subject and turned it into something it wasn't.
Yeah, Self was taking heat around here for not only not kicking him off the team, but for lifting his suspension after I think 1 or 2 games. But he clearly had details that weren't available to everyone at the time.

There are also rumblings here that Bragg took the fall on the paraphernalia charge so Mason wouldn't get in trouble. I have no idea how much there is to that, so take it fwiw.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #36
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Yeah, Self was taking heat around here for not only not kicking him off the team, but for lifting his suspension after I think 1 or 2 games. But he clearly had details that weren't available to everyone at the time.

There are also rumblings here that Bragg took the fall on the paraphernalia charge so Mason wouldn't get in trouble. I have no idea how much there is to that, so take it fwiw.
Yeah I think if you look at his off the court issues in depth they really aren't all that bad. Obviously he was wrongly accused once and then so what he got caught with a little pot or a bowl or whatever. He's a college student, they make mistakes. Obviously he is ready for a fresh start and mick is definitely the guy to get him in the right direction. Would love to land this kid. We've all been so worried about when Clark and Washington leave, this would take a lot of that stress away. He could be a stud here. Let's get it. GO CATS
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:46 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post

Yah...I don't think he picks UC without an understanding of what Cronin is going to expect out of him. I also don't think we take him unless we have a great feeling about him being re-dedicated to work ethic, team basketball, and representing the university.

That being said...since things didn't work out for him at KU he might understand now that he has to dedicate himself to working hard and he would get that treatment here. Kyle is a great example of what a change of scenery can do (not that this is the same situation). As we have seen with Kyle and Gary...Cronin is not afraid to make getting the ball to the BIGS a priority if we have the right players.

If all above boxes are checked I would snatch this kid up in a heartbeat. He would have an excellent opportunity here to be a major contributor after he sits a year. Getting him as a re-focused player could be huge!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Bragg plays more like a 3 than a 4 or 5. He is kinda soft. I don't see that changing much. Kyle is still soft. I would like to have Bragg but I don't think he is going to come in and all the sudden be a physical player
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #39
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Bragg plays more like a 3 than a 4 or 5. He is kinda soft. I don't see that changing much. Kyle is still soft. I would like to have Bragg but I don't think he is going to come in and all the sudden be a physical player
Interesting. That actually piques my interest too. Having Brooks man the post and having great height with a stretch 4 or just a very tall 3 would be new. Going 6'11, 6'10, 6'6, 6'5 would be an interesting look.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #40
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Averaged 11.9 rebounds/40 minutes. More than anyone on our team this year. He'd be a great compliment to Brooks for 2 years imo. He can and will defend 4s.