Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 AM   #871
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
The guy being groomed to lead this team is KJ. Mark my words as the season progresses the guy who will have the ball at crunch time will be KJ. Other than jumping higher Shaq won"t sniff his game by seasons end.I hope i'm wrong and both kill it this season but I have doubts.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:39 AM   #872
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Shaq is so frustrating. He's my guy though -- I've said from the beginning he will have a breakout season before he leaves here, and I'll be on that ship until it either sinks or floats. I'm predicting 10-12 points this season, 13-15 next season. James White did it -- why can't Shaq? He's no less skilled than James White, minus maybe a few inches on the vertical. He just needs the confidence.
I think the James White comparison is a huge stretch. White was a great ball-handler that had no trouble playing guard. He also had a nice jumper and 3 point shot, and was a McDonald's All-American in High School. While the athleticism is similar, Shaq is none of those things I mentioned.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #873
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Guys great players make others around them better. He's had the luxury of playing with SK when every defense we played knew he was our only consistent scoring option. When was the last time you seen Shaq drive the lane draw a foul and sink two FT's. How about drive the lane,draw the D and dish to a open big for a dunk. How about drive the lane draw the D and find a open player in the corner on baseline for a 3. How about dive for a loose ball,grab a big rebound at crunch time,play lock down D in a close game. Shaq has lots of holes in his game to improve on to be the difference maker many think he is or can be. He has talent and the occassion wow factor but as of now his game has been spotty at best.

I would be thrilled if he improved his over all game and contributed 10 pg. I don't thnk it would be fair to impose lots of pressure on him to be the focal of the team when nothing he has done consistently to this point says he is capable. A good performance in the NCAA tournament 2 years ago when the other team was geared to stop others is not a career defining moment. Great players bring it everynight. Their effort is there everytime they step on the floor. That is a mind set. It is not something you can turn on and off. My fear is that if he hasn't developed that by now after 3 years in program, it not only won't happen he can't make it happen. If you have been around Mick for 3 years ,coupled with playing along side one of the most mentally tough kids to ever play at UC in SK and you still haven't reallized what it takes i'm not sure it is in him. I hope I'm wrong.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #874
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I agree about KJ. He is the most complete offensive player on the team. I love guys that can score on all levels and he can. Once he completely trusts his skills and stays agressive, he's going to be fun to watch.

I've been a Mormon fan since we started recruiting him. I think it's going to be hard to keep this kid on the bench because he can effect a game on both ends of the court. He is intense and explosive.

Clark is the guy I think will develop into a a fantastic offensive weapon. Both facing the basket and on put backs off of offensive rebounds.

Add to the mix Strickland, when he gets his legs under him and his footwork down; along with Moore who has the ability to score from all three levels as well, and this team truly has the makings of being a very good offensive team.

Caupain's steadiness, Cobb as a sharpshooter, Sanders who can down you down some threes and depth on the block. Not to mention this team collectively seems to have a good overall bb iq. If they can play D and rebound this team could be the most well rounded team Mick has had but it's all potential right now.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #875
PakMan

PakMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I agree about KJ. He is the most complete offensive player on the team. I love guys that can score on all levels and he can. Once he completely trusts his skills and stays agressive, he's going to be fun to watch.

I've been a Mormon fan since we started recruiting him. I think it's going to be hard to keep this kid on the bench because he can effect a game on both ends of the court. He is intense and explosive.

Clark is the guy I think will develop into a a fantastic offensive weapon. Both facing the basket and on put backs off of offensive rebounds.

Add to the mix Strickland, when he gets his legs under him and his footwork down; along with Moore who has the ability to score from all three levels as well, and this team truly has the makings of being a very good offensive team.

Caupain's steadiness, Cobb as a sharpshooter, Sanders who can down you down some threes and depth on the block. Not to mention this team collectively seems to have a good overall bb iq. If they can play D and rebound this team could be the most well rounded team Mick has had but it's all potential right now.
I wish I shared your optimism about Strickland. He looks soft, physically weak, and generally overwhelmed.

And yes, I know I am basing this on 1 fake game against Bahamians.
PakMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:32 AM   #876
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakMan View Post
I wish I shared your optimism about Strickland. He looks soft, physically weak, and generally overwhelmed.

And yes, I know I am basing this on 1 fake game against Bahamians.
I understand, but Strickland will be able to score. Remember the guy hasn't played in two years nor practiced with the team last year. It's going to be a mental and physical adjustment for him but the ability to score is there.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #877
PakMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I understand, but Strickland will be able to score. Remember the guy hasn't played in two years nor practiced with the team last year. It's going to be a mental and physical adjustment for him but the ability to score is there.
Hope you're right. But I've played with plenty of people who look the part, have some skill, but when shit gets physical, they can't handle it.

I'm not expecting him to be much more than a taller Jermaine Sanders type: Occasionally valuable, super frustrating, but too limited athletically and physically to improve much.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #878
PakMan

But as much as I'm hating on Strickland, I'm that high on Caupain and KJ. I think they will take us to the final four not this coming year, but the year after, with a little help from Shaq and Gary Clark.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #879
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Strickland will be a contributor by his JR and SR seasons. He needs this year plus another full off season to knock the rust off. With everyone expected to return on the front court, he really won't get minutes next year either.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:44 PM   #880
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PakMan View Post
But as much as I'm hating on Strickland, I'm that high on Caupain and KJ. I think they will take us to the final four not this coming year, but the year after, with a little help from Shaq and Gary Clark.
Based on your negative views on Strickland and Sanders what do you see in Thomas that makes you think he can help lead this team?