Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 25+ 13 40.63%
UC wins by 15-24 15 46.88%
UC wins by 1-14 4 12.50%
USF wins 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM   #191
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Haha I love fans.

If we had no bench, we would be complaining that our guys are too tired at the end of games because they are playing 35 minutes a game. But now that we do have a bench people are complaining that we aren’t playing our best guys 35 minutes a game.

No coach in the country wants to play their entire starting 5 35 minutes a game especially with the way mick wants them to play.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:44 PM   #192
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Dude. We can’t be the 3rd best defense in the country and still have our starters playing 37 minutes a game.

I dunno how many of you guys actually play basketball, but giving the elite effort that mick asks of his players and still having enough in the tank for offense Is really hard.

There is one guy on the team who can do that; Jacob Evans.

The reason our defense is so good is because it comes in waves. Our worst defender off the bench is better then a lot of teams #1 defender.

Again I’m not saying cane shouldn’t start. I’d be happy if he did. But I’m saying that I trust that our coach who lead this team to being top 15 in the country with out a single 5 star recruit and very few top 100 guys, and continues to win. That has garnered some trust with me. And I believe in him. He’s doing what he is doing for a reason.

I just don’t see what the issue is.
Great post, no matter what some want to believe, you do need production off your bench. In a perfect world we would like our starters to play 40 minutes s game, as was said that is just not possible to retain our defensive pressure. As far as production with less heralded recruits, mick might be the best coach in the nation at this. I trust what he does, even when sometimes I haven't agreed. Very few and far between though. Top fifteen in country, absolutely astonishing defense and progressing, pretty damn good offense. The one thing I have seen from Jennifer that he is better at other than not turning ball over is ball pressure. That dude is a pit bull at hounding the ball handler, even if his steals are not showing this. Let's just keep winning and the other crap will work itself out. But to even think our starters should be playing that many minutes, makes me know that some people on this board doesn't understand basketball, especially basketball at Cincinnati.

Last edited by Defense first; 01-14-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #193
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dude. We can’t be the 3rd best defense in the country and still have our starters playing 37 minutes a game.

I dunno how many of you guys actually play basketball, but giving the elite effort that mick asks of his players and still having enough in the tank for offense Is really hard.

There is one guy on the team who can do that; Jacob Evans.

The reason our defense is so good is because it comes in waves. Our worst defender off the bench is better then a lot of teams #1 defender.

Again I’m not saying cane shouldn’t start. I’d be happy if he did. But I’m saying that I trust that our coach who lead this team to being top 15 in the country with out a single 5 star recruit and very few top 100 guys, and continues to win. That has garnered some trust with me. And I believe in him. He’s doing what he is doing for a reason.

I just don’t see what the issue is.
It's a hypothetical. But that's not even the point about getting all of them 37 minutes. It's about why the other 4 are starting. They are the best players at their position. They aren't sitting on the bench because the bench needs scoring.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #194
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I love when guys take what others say, twist it, and then say they dont understand basketball.

Raise your hand if you think the starters should play 37 minutes every game?

Oh wait nobody. Ok then.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #195
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It's a hypothetical. But that's not even the point about getting all of them 37 minutes. It's about why the other 4 are starting. They are the best players at their position. They aren't sitting on the bench because the bench needs scoring.
Watch what Jenifers role is when he starts: it’s to literally feed the post. UC tries to establish a post game first in every game. It’s a bad use of canes time to just feed a post player. Why have him doing that when he can be out leading spark off the bench. Teams tend to sub around the same time. When they sub in their low scoring guys, we sub in a guy who can score on anyone and it creates an advantage.

Look at the role of Dwade with the cavs. He is better than jr Smith in almost every way. Yet, his role is to be the best player on the floor when the second team goes in. The cavs aren’t running out the 5 best players. They are creating roles and doing what will be best for in game strategy
Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #196
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I love when guys take what others say, twist it, and then say they dont understand basketball.

Oh wait nobody. Ok then.
Yeah it's very clear that it's meant to demonstrate what might be needed in a loser goes home.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:28 PM   #197
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

Oh wait nobody. Ok then.

I’m not twisting anything.

You guys are the ones saying that a guy can’t play 30+ minutes in a game unless he starts. Which is just not even close to be true since we generally sub around 16 minute mark every game.

Winning is the measuring stick for a successful game plan.... I think we’re doing that right?
Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 PM   #198
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Watch what Jenifers role is when he starts: it’s to literally feed the post. UC tries to establish a post game first in every game. It’s a bad use of canes time to just feed a post player. Why have him doing that when he can be out leading spark off the bench. Teams tend to sub around the same time. When they sub in their low scoring guys, we sub in a guy who can score on anyone and it creates an advantage.

Look at the role of Dwade with the cavs. He is better than jr Smith in almost every way. Yet, his role is to be the best player on the floor when the second team goes in. The cavs aren’t running out the 5 best players. They are creating roles and doing what will be best for in game strategy
NBA 2nd units are actual 2nd units though. The main point is about the max amount of minutes available if needed. I'm not going to dwell on it all year. Already lost that battle. Coach was saying on the radio too that Jenifer is our point on defense. If he thinks it sets the tone for the #3 defense and he can still go to Broome if needed, ok. And I'll bet in a crucial game that Broome will start the 2nd half if we need some punch.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #199
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

You guys are the ones saying that a guy can’t play 30+ minutes in a game unless he starts. Which is just not even close to be true since we generally sub around 16 minute mark every game.

Winning is the measuring stick for a successful game plan.... I think we’re doing that right?
So we sub @ 4 minutes into each half. Cane is limited to 32 minutes. Our other best players have all played in games when we needed them for at least 36 minutes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:34 PM   #200
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:

What is Broome's season high in minutes? And he's max 30 minutes if he sat 4 minutes each half and played the entire 2nd half. Unrealistic to think he would just come in and play straight through. He'd at least need a 2 minute break at some point.