Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Being at square 1 is a reality every year. You have to make the tourney to do well in the tourney. Define your idea of a successful program.
We have had some success. I am not a Mick basher. My idea of a successful program includes being able to perform in the dance. A great coach should be able to step it up a notch in March...not step it down a notch.

As I said...he needs to make a run and then validate in a reasonable time frame for me to give him the keys to the program for life. He has enough years under his belt (15) that he should be able to learn by now how to get more out of his team on the biggest stage. 8 straight trips with little to show.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #42
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
We have had some success. I am not a Mick basher. My idea of a successful program includes being able to perform in the dance. A great coach should be able to step it up a notch in March...not step it down a notch.

As I said...he needs to make a run and then validate in a reasonable time frame for me to give him the keys to the program for life. He has enough years under his belt (15) that he should be able to learn by now how to get more out of his team on the biggest stage. 8 straight trips with little to show.
Fair enough. Let's hope he can deliver because he is very close and I think finding the guy who can do that is not a easy task. The easier path is Mick kicking that door down. The shame is he missed a big opportunity in last years tourney. I think he knows that more then anyone.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Fair enough. Let's hope he can deliver because he is very close and I think finding the guy who can do that is not a easy task. The easier path is Mick kicking that door down. The shame is he missed a big opportunity in last years tourney. I think he knows that more then anyone.
I'm not sure how close he is really. We land about 1 very good impact HS player per year but it's hard to get them all performing well together at that rate. Last year we had Washington and Broome playing as transfers to help. He has to keep using the transfer and juco market if we continue to land talent at the rate we do from HS.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #44
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think why I struggle with Mick's results so much is because we have been so close. I think that is what frustrates most people.

How about if Gary Clark isn't playing on one leg. Does anyone think we lose a close game to St,Joesph?

How about the game against UCONN. A freaking 3/4 length court shot and they go on to win the NCAA.

We are better then 99% favorable to beat Nevada with a 22 point lead and 11 minutes to go and we blow the game.

If we win those games we are not even having this conversation.
If I had wheels, I'd be a wagon.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #45
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He can help himself by making adjustments along the way. I get frustrated when we lose and the exact same offseason happens over and over. With no changes to anything. We just run it back. And run it back. And run it back. And run it back. And run it back. You are allowed to do something different.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:44 PM   #46
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
He can help himself by making adjustments along the way. I get frustrated when we lose and the exact same offseason happens over and over. With no changes to anything. We just run it back. And run it back. And run it back. And run it back. And run it back. You are allowed to do something different.
Jake he coaches to what he perceives is the strength of his players. Other then the Tourney his results have been good. I guess he could try to attract different players but I do not know enough about that process to offer a opinion. I know he judges talent very well. Why he can't get hem to come to UC has been beat to death. This years squad was put together very well. He won the league and the conference. Was a 2 seed. vA lost and a clear path was there to go to the final 8 or better. We blew a 22 point lead. I really don't have any answers. They are not going to fire him and I really don't know if that is the answer. As Chad mentioned he would get hired in a heartbeat if we let him go. This is a tough job. A program with a rich tradition who' s fan base expects big time results in a system that has less then favorable conditions as we currently stand. If I'm Mick I am telling my agent to float my name. I really think he has only one way to go and that is down. He is probably as hot as he is ever going to be coaching at Cincinnati. For whatever reason he can not attract the kind of recruit that the UC fan base wants and expects which would put him over the top. Might be time for both parties to go their separate ways.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #47
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I really think Mick recruits kids who fit his style and that he has a legitimate shot at getting. His results other then the NCAA have been quite good.
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:47 PM   #48
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Come on man. I'm not exonerating Mick. He certainly deserves criticism for the loss but blowing a 22 point lead with 11 minutes to go is a loss that all parties had a hand in.
When a company fails, it’s on the ceo.

That loss is on Mick. He left Cumberland in. He started his awful Jacob Evans dribble for 20 seconds offense early (like he did all freakin year). And most times teams made a comeback. It’s on Mick.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:31 AM   #49
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

That loss is on Mick. He left Cumberland in. He started his awful Jacob Evans dribble for 20 seconds offense early (like he did all freakin year). And most times teams made a comeback. It’s on Mick.
Not trying to exonerate Mick but the players had a hand in that loss as well.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #50
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

Oh and Cincy when a company fails more times then not the CEO still walks away with his Golden Parachute.