Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #61
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Yes getting to a sweet 16 every couple of years in a non p-5 conference is a tough job.
If that’s too much to ask for a good coach, what are we even talking about? Should we ever expect a 2nd weekend run since we are not in a P5? We have seen team after team from non p5 conferences but it’s too hard cincinnati? Weird
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #62
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I thought this program was better than expecting one sweet 16 every 20 years. Maybe that’s my fault. If that’s the case I don’t know why any recruit would come here
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #63
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I thought this program was better than expecting one sweet 16 every 20 years. Maybe that’s my fault. If that’s the case I don’t know why any recruit would come here
I think the program is better then a sweet 16 every 20 years.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #64
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If that’s too much to ask for a good coach, what are we even talking about? Should we ever expect a 2nd weekend run since we are not in a P5? We have seen team after team from non p5 conferences but it’s too hard cincinnati? Weird
Only 34 teams have made at least 2 Sweet 16's the past 8 years that UC has made the NCAA. Only 4 of those teams are currently NOT in P-5 + BE. (Gonzaga {4}, UConn, San Diego St. & Wichita State {all 2}. The SEC and P-12 have only had 3 different teams do it. Villanova and Virginia (2 each), for example, have only 1 more than UC during that time. Now having said all of that, UC should have been 1 of 35 to do it.

Last edited by indydoug; 04-20-2018 at 12:54 PM.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #65
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
I'm not arguing with you I think he has had the talent on a couple of his teams to get to the sweet 16. Look it has been well documented that not being in a P-5 conference hurts recruiting What is the most frustrating thing for me about Mick is he has in many cases overcome that obstacle by finding and developing players who have been over looked by others. This years team was a perfect example. You know what I am most frustrated about? He could have kicked that door down this year. He could have shut up all the people posting on the threads about his lack of ability. He was being discussed as Coach of the year. We were nationally ranked. Most of the time in the top 10. Our name and his were out there. The NCAA couldn't have fallen better for us. A two seed and with all the upsets it was there for the taking. And in 11 minutes it all went by the wayside. Back to square 1.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #66
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Only 34 teams have made at least 2 Sweet 16's the past 8 years that UC has made the NCAA. Only 4 of those teams are currently NOT in P-5 + BE. (Gonzaga {4}, UConn, San Diego St. & Wichita State {all 2}. The SEC and P-12 have only had 3 different teams do it. Villanova and Virginia, for example, have only 1 more in that time. Now having said all of that, UC should have been 1 of 35 to do it.
Thanks Doug. I was just going to try and pull those numbers. Its not exactly a easy task in our current state. But that said we should have done it.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #67
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Only 34 teams have made at least 2 Sweet 16's the past 8 years that UC has made the NCAA. Only 4 of those teams are currently NOT in P-5 + BE. (Gonzaga {4}, UConn, San Diego St. & Wichita State {all 2}. The SEC and P-12 have only had 3 different teams do it. Villanova and Virginia (2 each), for example, have only 1 more than UC during that time. Now having said all of that, UC should have been 1 of 35 to do it.
We should be in that group. Easily.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #68
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We should be in that group. Easily.
Don't disagree with you as my post indicated. However, it does give a little perspective on how few teams outside P-5 + BE have been able to consistently get to the S16 at least once every 4 years on average.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:27 AM   #69
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
We definitely are pretty close in viewpoints. I bring up Louisville specifically because of their unique situation/trajectory. The hookers, payouts, cheating etc. is obviously not good and I would never go on record saying I would welcome it here. But if everyone is doing it and we are hurting cause we don't look the other way and bend the rules than that's a problem. This investigation/scandal stuff will pretty quickly fade away and in 10 years the only thing people will remember is the national title and their current position in a power conference with a historic top 10 team. That is a trade off I would do 100 times out of 100 if I were being perfectly honest with myself.
Do you have kids? Slippery slope here.
I hope you rethink this.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #70
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Do you have kids? Slippery slope here.
I hope you rethink this.
If you think CBB is clean then you have the naivete of a child. Spare me the "think of the kids" BS.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote