Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #71
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
All you have to do to question Evans jumping ability is watch that block shot he had in the NCAA tourney against Kansas state his sophomore year, he’s a sneaky athlete because it looks effortless when he does stuff.

Also the whole game against st Joes the year before that, but one play in particular when we are making a run to get back in the game he goes in thinking he’s gonna have a finger roll and then here’s footsteps and just decides to dunk it instead, the kid is a crazy good athlete
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:49 PM   #72
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
All you have to do to question Evans jumping ability is watch that block shot he had in the NCAA tourney against Kansas state his sophomore year, he’s a sneaky athlete because it looks effortless when he does stuff.

Also the whole game against st Joes the year before that, but one play in particular when we are making a run to get back in the game he goes in thinking he’s gonna have a finger roll and then here’s footsteps and just decides to dunk it instead, the kid is a crazy good athlete

nobody is out here saying he's not an athlete. the write up was simply saying he's an average NBA athlete, which still makes you a freak.

he's probably above average in vert and average to below average in explosiveness. and for a D and 3 its a pretty nice combo.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #73
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
nobody is out here saying he's not an athlete. the write up was simply saying he's an average NBA athlete, which still makes you a freak.

he's probably above average in vert and average to below average in explosiveness. and for a D and 3 its a pretty nice combo.
I enjoy reading your posts.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

There were two comments about his athleticism.

A classic 3-and-D prospect who shoots and defends well, though he’s not a jump-out-of-the-gym athlete

Average athlete who will need to prove he can defend the NBA’s elite, which he will be tasked with in his projected role.

I am not going to address explosiveness because that is kind of subjective but a 43" vert (if accurate) is a "jump out of the gym" athlete.

It goes on to say he would be drafted (in part) to defend NBA elites which requires that he is at least above average.

This just doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the context of what he is being drafted for.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM   #75
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
There were two comments about his athleticism.

A classic 3-and-D prospect who shoots and defends well, though he’s not a jump-out-of-the-gym athlete

Average athlete who will need to prove he can defend the NBA’s elite, which he will be tasked with in his projected role.

I am not going to address explosiveness because that is kind of subjective but a 43" vert (if accurate) is a "jump out of the gym" athlete.

It goes on to say he would be drafted (in part) to defend NBA elites which requires that he is at least above average.

This just doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the context of what he is being drafted for.

you dont have to be an elite athlete to guard elite nba players. look at the guy that really started the D and 3 movement, Bruce Bowen. he was a tough hard-nosed defender but i dont think anybody would call him very athletic.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #76
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I would called Jacob a fluid Athlete just not an explosive one.

His chase down transistion blocks and put back dunks show he is an athlete. Does he have explosive Edmund Sumner type of athleticism, no, but as a 3 & D guy, Im not sure he has to.

Some of the best Teams in the NBA have a high level 3 & D player:
Klay Thompson
Danny Green
Trevor Ariza
Robert Covington

And honestly, Evans could end up being a Kawhi Leonard lite type player. A lock down defender who can shoot, & play make. Kawhi gradually become a superstar, and while i don't think Evans will ever be Leonard, I think he can be molded into a similar type player.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #77
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

His chase down transistion blocks and put back dunks show he is an athlete. Does he have explosive Edmund Sumner type of athleticism, no, but as a 3 & D guy, Im not sure he has to.

Klay Thompson
Danny Green
Trevor Ariza
Robert Covington

And honestly, Evans could end up being a Kawhi Leonard lite type player. A lock down defender who can shoot, & play make. Kawhi gradually become a superstar, and while i don't think Evans will ever be Leonard, I think he can be molded into a similar type player.

agree with this 100%.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #78
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
you dont have to be an elite athlete to guard elite nba players. look at the guy that really started the D and 3 movement, Bruce Bowen. he was a tough hard-nosed defender but i dont think anybody would call him very athletic.
Fair enough. I agree Evans is better described as fluid than quick. I still would not call him average. I would call him above average athlete. Not elite.

If it were just about his max vert I would probably lean towards elite but there are obviously other aspects to consider.

I don't recall what the max vert was for Levett, Kmart, or Bostic etc. White was obviously an elite jumper. I am ready to see some elite dunkers! We haven't had any human highlight reels lately in that department. Williams has shown some decent signs. Even Logan Johnson has shown some pretty nice ability even though it's high school. For 6'2" he can throw it down pretty well...with either hand.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #79
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Klay Thompson
Danny Green
Trevor Ariza
Robert Covington

My comparison for what I think Evans peak could be in the NBA has been Jimmy Butler. According to ESPN (which is most likely not accurate), Leonard has about an inch and 20 pounds on Evans. Evans is 6'6 215ish, Butler is 6'7 220. Butler's junior year he put up 15.7/6.1/2.3 on 10.3 SPG. Defensively he averaged 1.4 steals and .4 blocks per game. Evans' junior year he put up 13.0/4.7/3.1 on 10.5 SPG with 1.3 Steals and 1.0 blocks. Damn near identical numbers. Evans is a bit better 3 point shooter in college.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #80
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Saw this on Twitter

@BRNBADraft
More NBA Combine: Cincy’s Gary Clark joined by teammate Jacob Evans. Louisiana will be represented at the Chicago event as Evans, a Baton Rouge native, will be joined by New Orleans products Melvin Frazier (Tulane) & Mitchell Robinson. All 3 LA guys likely 1st rounders.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote