Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 AM   #1
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Town Hall Meeting

Just wanted to share my thoughts.

The meeting was designed and geared toward transparency with fans regarding their push for Big 12. But he acknowledged what's happening on football field has opened up new issues to discuss. But they showed several videos and described UC's idea behind its push. It was very well done. He said UC was under gag order during process so they couldn't share stuff before...thus the idea for town hall meeting. He said big 12 commissioner was on board for expansion and his personal opinion was they were set with us and couldn't decide on a 12th. Also said not being able to sit down with the presidents hampered our ability to sell ourselves.

The next phase was showing the new arena video. Nothing really new on that front. Arena will hold around 12000. One side of lower bowl will be club seating exclusively. Not much detail other than that. Mentioned they are still trying go decide between US Bank and NKU for games next year, basically whoever gives us the best deal. I chimed in on the traffic disaster around NKU's arena and he asked me if it was an issue of enough police handling it. I said no, it was an issue of funneling everybody into one lane of traffic. But he said traffic concerns are a big deal.

As far as football and Tuberville goes, he hears the frustrations and shares them. He said there is some good stuff tuberville does (grades,etc.), but results on the field are not what they need to be. Obviously didn't come out and say he was going to be fired, but did say if getting rid of a coach is necessary to succeed that's what they'll do. So.....

Questions people brought up. First was about officiating...like really? And he spent a lot of time talking about it. Interesting nonetheless. He said last year our conference led the nation on holding calls and all the teams were up in arms saying fans don't come to games to watch the refs. So they addressed it with league officials and now we have the least amount of holding calls. He said we can influence officials and we should be loud at refs and let them know when we disagree. Told a story of how in his early days at northern idaho??? they played gonzaga and all the players for gonzaga and the refs were on first name basis and guess who got the benefit of calls. Said you can influence officiating. Went on to say he'll say stuff during games to refs and recalled a lot of individual calls and plays in past games. Kind of impressed he could do that. I thought us nut job fans were the only ones, haha. He spent more time than needed to be talking about that. Maybe he was happy to not have to talk about Tuberville.

Someone asked why Xavier can out recruit us. He basically said a school like Xavier puts all their resources into one basket and UC cant. He did say recruiting needs to get better several times. Football and basketball. One of the things he highlighted in sell to big 12 was Ohio being #5 state for recruiting in football and badketball. Later brought up that Stat in regards to Tuberville and said he isn't getting it done in ohio. So good to see he sees it like it is. He said new arena will help basketball recruiting.

Someone asked about tuberville's comments this past week that program is in better shape now than when he took over. He said in some areas it is and some not. Obviously not on the field results. He said things like grades and off the field stuff are fine, but winning and recruiting need to happen. Said tuberville did a good job on engaging fans when he got here, but not now. Said we can't have a disconnect with fans because we are the lifeblood.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Thanks David!
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #3
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
I also want to thank you for the post. Did I hear that they were going to have another meeting at some time?
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #4
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
I also want to thank you for the post. Did I hear that they were going to have another meeting at some time?
He said if we want more, they'll do more so my guess is yes.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
He said if we want more, they'll do more so my guess is yes.
Thanks a bunch, David. I know the topic was B12, but did he talk about expectations for the 2 revenue sports?? Conference championships, etc.

We really appreciate you taking the time to post. Can anyone else whom was there add anything else?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Thanks a bunch, David. I know the topic was B12, but did he talk about expectations for the 2 revenue sports?? Conference championships, etc.

We really appreciate you taking the time to post. Can anyone else whom was there add anything else?
Not specifically. I mean I think it's a given they want to win. They sold the idea we won four of five conference championships in the big east. Sold we were the first team to make it to five straight final fours. But he didn't specifically say that's the goal.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
I was there and David hit all the points pretty spot on. About realignment, he said there could be movement. He did say the first move might happen sooner than people think. However he did not speculate so...then he talked about the AAC being a Power 6... Hard to tell what will come about.
Mentioned that a lot of other teams in the AAC have caught up to UC in football. Especially with us having down years.
I was a little disappointed with the content of discussion. He kinda indirectly kept the elephant in the room off topic.(Tuberville)
He didn't chew out or blame the fans but he did continue to say the fan base is viewed as negative when we don't show up, leave early, yell things. Mentioned Les Miles knows a ton about UC and he wouldn't like what he sees from us, aka he would never want to come here.. I thought this was crap, don't justify the crappy play on the field and expect fans to openly be happy and show up. If we had a winning atmosphere, the fans would be here. Excuses in my book.

Really wish the conversation of how the athletic dept is going to generate money without P5 money but that never came about. Truly not enough time to discuss everything.

I thought they showed too many videos of the Big 12 presentation and arena fly bye. It took majority of the time. I personally think they did that on purpose to limit Q&A. A few of the questions asked were completely irrelevant imo..

No real mention about FCC and the financial deal of playing in Nippert and or Nippert remodeling.
Overall, not what I expected..
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #8
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

Yeah I was hoping the convo was more geared toward harping on tuberville. Honestly he can't come out and say we will fire tuberville in a month but it's a secret so everyone stay quiet. The idea of the meeting was to show they were trying to get into big 12. Just the timing with tuberville makes everything else an afterthought. I thought he spent too much time talking about officials, but I'm guessing he wanted at all costs to avoid having to toe the company line on tuberville and I can't blame him. I couldn't imagine being in his shoes and having to wait to fire tuberville. Assuming of course that's his plan