Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2017, 01:53 PM   #371
BearcatsNE

BearcatsNE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Okay...I can agree with that. I still think Jenifer is going to be one of our 5 best on the court when milking a clock.

I gave my reasons why I don't like Jenifer as much as Cane during the rest of the game. The biggest thing is we got off to a slow start and UCLA had some early success because JJ was being exposed on D. A taller PG can shoot right over him and he was blown past a couple of times early on. Besides offense Cane has more jumping ability and a longer reach and he can't do much worse staying in front of his man than JJ the first 5 minutes last night. He can get steals more often and rebound better to boot.

Please don't confuse my points about milking a clock with the rest of the game because I agree with most everyone else on that. Jenifer is our best ball control option and I don't think that means we can't have Cane on the floor at the same time when milking a clock. Cane is the superior player for most other situations other than running point when milking a clock. He can play on the wing those situations though...which means Cronin is making decisions between CB and JC at that point.
Cronin doesn’t let any of his PG just play out of control. So ball control and milking the clock wouldn’t be a problem for Cane or Justin. Every possession is ran by Cronin first. But thanks for making my flight enjoyable.
BearcatsNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #372
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatsNE View Post
Cronin doesn’t let any of his PG just play out of control. So ball control and milking the clock wouldn’t be a problem for Cane or Justin. Every possession is ran by Cronin first. But thanks for making my flight enjoyable.
I disagree here. Watch what happens when Jenifer and Broome are asked to sit out at the top of the key and let a defender hound them while they are dribbling for more than a couple of seconds. Jenifer has no issue because he is a superior ball handler. Caupain had no issue because he used his backside and length ala Magic Johnson to keep his defender from stealing the ball. Cane is not comfortable out there in that situation. He would rather be running around on the move or passing the ball to someone else than endure that type of pressure. To me it seems very obvious. Even if we let him sit out on the top of the key dribbling to run off clock...his passes after that point have not been as crisp or precise as Jenifer. I don't even think it's a close argument in these particular situations.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:44 PM   #373
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
In case anyone is interested in rewatching I have edited the clips from Synergy and compiled into one video. No Commercials or Halftime

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb567rwzb1n2shr/UCLA.mp4?dl=0
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #374
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
The Reality is Cane is the better player. And every one knows it. Jenifer has been in the program longer and Mick wants to reward his hard work. But I think by the end of the season Cane is going to be the primary ball handler in every situation.

And I fully expect Cane to start every game next year.

Cronin is an "earn my trust first" kind of coach. Cane is doing his job. Cane's biggest TO games were early in the season, he has since corrected them and now is scoring, attacking and getting fouled. He will get his turn based on the way he is playing.

I do think that starting is really over rated. Cane doesn't have to start to be effective, I think the last 4 games show that.

Mick is trying to reward both hard work and talent.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #375
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
The Reality is Cane is the better player. And every one knows it. Jenifer has been in the program longer and Mick wants to reward his hard work. But I think by the end of the season Cane is going to be the primary ball handler in every situation.

Cronin is an "earn my trust first" kind of coach. Cane is doing his job. Cane's biggest TO games were early in the season, he has since corrected them and now is scoring, attacking and getting fouled. He will get his turn based on the way he is playing.

I do think that starting is really over rated. Cane doesn't have to start to be effective, I think the last 4 games show that.

obviously this is the hope everybody has.

but it is not how mick has treated these situations in the past. the lesser player continued to get at least 20 minutes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:46 PM   #376
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In case anyone is interested in rewatching I have edited the clips from Synergy and compiled into one video. No Commercials or Halftime

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tb567rwzb1n2shr/UCLA.mp4?dl=0
Thanks!! Definitely will watch the first half
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:55 PM   #377
CHEER CINCY
Banned

CHEER CINCY is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Jenifer’s side of the backboard 3pt attempt was so Jenifer, it hurt. Cane should be running this show...he just needs the head coach to recognize when better talent exists.
CHEER CINCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #378
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Cane has started 3 games including the first game of the year and 3 of the first 4. Cronin wanted Cane to be the starting PG and gave him a chance to.

I think he will be starting again but he had to learn a few things the hard way I guess. I'm ready to give it another go...lol!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #379
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
How do you get here? Cane was mistake free too when they started pressing. Evans was the one that had the awful turnover.

Jenifer can come in if he’s gonna keep hitting free throws, but the move was benching Cumberland not Broome. Cumberland can’t be out there being a career 60% ft shooter.

But I still don’t see why cane needed to come out. It did almost feel like mick just had to even their minutes out (similar to how he benched Jenifer the other night basically the entire half for no reason)
I agree. Sad thing is the reason Cane came out wasn't to get the ball out of his hands it was to get it out of Evans hands....... seriously. If you noticed, when Broome was in there Evans was more your de facto point guard. He brought the ball up some, but Cane did mostly, but when it got into the half court cane dumped it at the top of the key to Evans every time and went to the wing. I simply just don't understand it. I know I've taken the side of why Jenifer starts to some heavy flack here, but if Cane's in there he needs to be your pg, not Evans. I love Evans, but he made several really bad passes yesterday that led to turnovers. He's simply not a pg. Mick really doesn't trust Cane running point but he needs to get him to the point where he does plain and simple. Now I'm not completely against the idea of bringing in the "sure handed" (in Micks eyes) ball handler to close out a lead, but I don't understand running Evans at point when Cane is in there. And when Cumberland missed both free throws after also missing the front end of the one and one, you have to get him out of there. At that point all logic points to you're going to get fouled everytime. He should've put Cane back in or at least Moore.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #380
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Sitting Cumberland in that spot was not a bad thought but historically he isn't a bad foul shooter. I hope he turns it around. We need him to be a better player then he was last year especially by years end. I actually think if he was playing better Cane may be getting more minuets as the PG. Williams is coming on a bit but if I need minutes in a close game at the wing I prefer it be Cane.
Cumberland's shot is off. His mechanics look bad. He nailed the one three yesterday, but his other jump shots the past three weeks or so have just looked bad and all five of his free throws look bad. He's flicking the ball sideways or something. It's always been his form, but this year he really seems to be lazier with his follow through or like he's overconfident in his shot and just not as crisp. FT's shouldn't look that bad, especially all five. I'm not trying to knock the kid cause I love his game, but they need to correct whatever is wrong with his shot and quickly. But there's no reason Mick should've kept him in the game. Maybe it hurts his confidence and Mick isn't one to take a guy out for missing shots (as long as they're not bad shot selection), but that lead could've gone to single digits and who knows what happens then and your only finger to point at would be 0-5 from free throw from Cumberland. Fortunately we got some stops and some other players hit some FT's but you can't have a guy on the floor at that point that can't hit free throws.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote