Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #391
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Cumberland's shot is off. His mechanics look bad. He nailed the one three yesterday, but his other jump shots the past three weeks or so have just looked bad and all five of his free throws look bad. He's flicking the ball sideways or something. It's always been his form, but this year he really seems to be lazier with his follow through or like he's overconfident in his shot and just not as crisp. .
He has a really strange hitch in his shot. Its like he is uncoiling a spring or something. It is really slow 90% of the way through and then he speeds up all the sudden and tries to flick the ball in using only his wrists. It worked last year because he was barely jumping but I think they probably worked with him over the summer to stop shooting flat footed and its thrown off his timing.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:20 AM   #392
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
If you subtract his stats, UC is shooting 40% as a team from 3
Yes he hasn't shown a ability to hit from the perimeter. But if he does he has the rest of the package. Goes to the rim and is very good defensively. Hope he can find a shot.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #393
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

We got 16 points 4 ast . 1 TO 4 Reb 9-10 FT's from our PG tandem. I'll take that all day. Especially going against UCLA in Pauley. That's good production. Coach did so by utilizing the strengths of both players and playing to those strengths as the game unfolded.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 12-18-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #394
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I think someone mentioned Kyle's shot selection against UCLA and he did take a couple of long jumpers (good thing he was making shots). One in particular was later in the game he took one from about 2-3 feet inside the top of the arc when Cumberland was standing in the corner all alone for 3 with nobody within 15 feet of him. Kyle made it...but I was watching Cronin and I think he was coming out if he missed that shot...lol!

Kyle can make open shots...but he should have kicked that one to Cumberland. He has tunnel vision and has little ability to see the court when he gets the ball. All he sees is the rim. That is both good and bad I guess. It's good when he's on and bad when he's not. I like that he has the confidence and the ability to hit those shots but he has to stop hunting points and realize when there is a much better opportunity than the shot he is taking.

Can't complain too much after a good game from Kyle I guess. He's looked much better the last two games so I don't want to kill his confidence.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #395
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

anybody come to their feet when Clark blocked Welch's 3 point attempt into the third row.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #396
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Cane is .5 ppg away from making us a 5 man double digit scoring team which I think most of us were expecting we could get to. Ultimately I think we will get there with the way Cane has been playing his last few games.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #397
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
anybody come to their feet when Clark blocked Welch's 3 point attempt into the third row.
Oh yeah! One of my favorite plays of the game. Gary was about to go Mutumbo out there...but stopped short of the finger wave. I think he got another 3 point block a little bit later unless I am mistaken and it was someone else. Those were huge!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #398
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think someone mentioned Kyle's shot selection against UCLA and he did take a couple of long jumpers (good thing he was making shots). One in particular was later in the game he took one from about 2-3 feet inside the top of the arc when Cumberland was standing in the corner all alone for 3 with nobody within 15 feet of him. Kyle made it...but I was watching Cronin and I think he was coming out if he missed that shot...lol!

Kyle can make open shots...but he should have kicked that one to Cumberland. He has tunnel vision and has little ability to see the court when he gets the ball. All he sees is the rim. That is both good and bad I guess. It's good when he's on and bad when he's not. I like that he has the confidence and the ability to hit those shots but he has to stop hunting points and realize when there is a much better opportunity than the shot he is taking.

Can't complain too much after a good game from Kyle I guess. He's looked much better the last two games so I don't want to kill his confidence.
i agree about his shot selection. I do like his perimeter game. Creates much better spacing and opens up the inside. It also allows Evans and Clark to operate on the offensive glass.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #399
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Oh yeah! One of my favorite plays of the game. Gary was about to go Mutumbo out there...but stopped short of the finger wave. I think he got another 3 point block a little bit later unless I am mistaken and it was someone else. Those were huge!
The 3 point block is so hard to do without risking the foul which is a huge no no. Most of the time we are happy just to alter it...let alone send it into the seats on a 7 footer.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-18-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:04 AM   #400
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The thing about Kyle is that he is unstoppable down low with his patented flick hook shot. That's why Cronin gets a little upset when he takes long 2s. I read Cronins lips during timeout vs Mississippi State and he said they can't block or defend your shit inside so keep going with it. If he only take his inside shit, he will be shooting at an incredibly high percentage. Got to stay with your bread and butter. I understand they will try and force him off the block, but he basically unstoppable if he gathers himself and gets down low. Kinda like Williams shooting threes, eventually he will need to expand his game, but he is lethal when taking ball to basket. Stick to what your good at when your elite at it.

Last edited by Defense first; 12-18-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote