Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #21
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I bet Cronin could've had the Pitt job if he would've wanted it.
Maybe, but Cronin has a better situation here. Money, low expectations, home.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #22
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I bet Cronin could've had the Pitt job if he would've wanted it.
I think your right. I wish he would have taken it. Not because I think he is a bad coach but because he has always been in a tough spot here. He followed Huggins who to many is a legend. Not only that but when Bob was let go he fought the outcome for a year further dividing the fan base. Mick will never win many of them over regardless what he does. He has done a great job getting us back on track so to speak. He should utilize his success and seek a better opportunity. Then the new coach can come in and hopefully unite the fans and delivery on what Mick has started. A win for everyone.

Of course Bettering what Mick has delivered will not be easy and it scares me but it is what I think.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Maybe, but Cronin has a better situation here. Money, low expectations, home.
The low expectations would be really nice to go along with the millions. Literally do anything and people will die for you without a second's thought. He's like a cult leader lol (jk jk relax).
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 AM   #24
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I think your right. I wish he would have taken it. Not because I think he is a bad coach but because he has always been in a tough spot here. He followed Huggins who to many is a legend. Not only that but when Bob was let go he fought the outcome for a year further dividing the fan base. Mick will never win many of them over regardless what he does. He has done a great job getting us back on track so to speak. He should utilize his success and seek a better opportunity. Then the new coach can come in and hopefully unite the fans and delivery on what Mick has started. A win for everyone.

Of course Bettering what Mick has delivered will not be easy and it scares me but it is what I think.
He had a great opportunity to win everyone over for good this year. But he did the impossible and went down in flames instead. I really don't know if he'll ever recover here. And I totally get what you mean about a new opportunity for him. Could be best for everyone.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #25
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post

I think we are all scared. We could easily backslide if Mick falters and leaves/fired but I have to think a LOT of really good coaches would consider this a top 25 job considering the leeway (Mick gets 15 years!), all the resources (arena, donors), and the money. Problem is I don't think selecting a good coach is a given. I am at the point where I think we need to try something different. My attitude would be much different if we had another 4/5 star recruit coming.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
I think we are all scared. We could easily backslide if Mick falters and leaves/fired but I have to think a LOT of really good coaches would consider this a top 25 job considering the leeway (Mick gets 15 years!), all the resources (arena, donors), and the money. Problem is I don't think selecting a good coach is a given. I am at the point where I think we need to try something different. My attitude would be much different if we had another 4/5 star recruit coming.
Our future after Mick leaving could depend on if he takes LD with him. If so, good. If not, we wouldn't be dumb enough to hire him as the head coach would we? Bc that would be a disaster.

It'd be cool to have new school coaches (Savino doesn't count for this bc he gets it) who like actually have twitter accounts and use them. Stuff like that. Everywhere you look on twitter, you see stuff about our football recruits getting offers, being excited, coming on campus, having graphics and animations made for them, etc. It's a new age. Savino is the only one on our staff active in that world in any way.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #27
Helicopter

Quote:
Our future after Mick leaving could depend on if he takes LD with him. If so, good. If not, we wouldn't be dumb enough to hire him as the head coach would we? Bc that would be a disaster.

It'd be cool to have new school coaches (Savino doesn't count for this bc he gets it) who like actually have twitter accounts and use them. Stuff like that. Everywhere you look on twitter, you see stuff about our football recruits getting offers, being excited, coming on campus, having graphics and animations made for them, etc. It's a new age. Savino is the only one on our staff active in that world in any way.
I would basically look for a young guy with strong NBA ties who has a proven track record of recruiting.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Mick didn't get 15 years he earned them.That is my view. He inherited a dumpster fire started by Bob and Nancy. He has made the dance 8 straight years. Check out the names on that list. If how he does in the NCAA is what your basing your opinion on I guess your unhappy. Like you I would like more success in the tourney but getting there is not a given either. Nor is yearly competing for league titles even in the AAC especially when your not a one and done school but a school that relys on 4 year players who must develop. As for Mick and his recruiting I see things differently. First Mick was credited by one HOF coach and another soon to be HOF'er in Huggins for being a very good recruiter. Replacing his expertise will not be easy. He is one of the best. So much so they hired him. Finding someone to recruit under our current parameters will not be easy for anyone. Not saying its impossible but it certainly is not a slam dunk. We are a good program because of Micks ability not in spite of him. Whoever replaces him will need to be very good because he has set the bar very high regardless if its realistic or not. Lets say you hire a guy who comes in and doesn't make the tourney for a few years. How will that sit with you? Does he get a honeymoon? I mean Mick wins at least 20 games a year and makes the dance now. If the newcomer regresses what then? Are you wiling to wait it out or try again. While your waiting suppose attendance slips or the FB team is still not filling the Nip. How will that impact the bottom line. Lots of moving parts in the process of replacing Mick. Some big time risk both monetarily and performance driven. I guess what I'm trying to say is that finding a guy to better what we currently have will not be easy. Much risk associated with a decision like that. We could both sit here and throw names or situations at each other supporting our stances but in the end I think we can both agree it won't be easy.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #29
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
GOOD SHOOTERS

For the life of me, I do not understand this. These college players basically work at the game 24/7 year around. They have managers work with them every day tossing them the ball, working on moves etc., and they still can't shoot the ball very well. Free throw percentage is woeful. So the idea of teaching someone to shoot is not very easy, and yet we recruit guys that can dunk but can't shoot--puzzling!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #30
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M64W View Post
For the life of me, I do not understand this. These college players basically work at the game 24/7 year around. They have managers work with them every day tossing them the ball, working on moves etc., and they still can't shoot the ball very well. Free throw percentage is woeful. So the idea of teaching someone to shoot is not very easy, and yet we recruit guys that can dunk but can't shoot--puzzling!
I see what your saying but you not only have to shoot you have to guard. More to the game then standing at the 3 point line waiting for a shot. I will concede that the game is evolving away from post play. In todays game you have to be able to knockdown open looks or go home. I think you will see that come into effect more as time goes on. Even in the NBA the 3 is a huge weapon. Big scoring centers better have range. Game is certainly changing my friend.