Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 07-20-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
'11 MI OLB Ed Davis (Michigan State Verbal)

Outside Linebacker
Detroit, MI (Southeastern HS)

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 208 lbs

Offers: Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Cincinnati, and several smaller schools

From his Scout Profile: Excellent athlete who runs and covers like a defensive back. Changes directions well, has very good ball skills, as well as coverage awareness. Quickness and speed makes him dangerous as a blitzer and edge rusher, although he will need to add strength to continue to do that in college. In general, he needs to add weight, and bulk, which will help him take on and shed blockers.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Ed Davis is a linebacker from Southeastern High School in Detroit. Michigan has been targeting Ed since his performance at their summer camp. Everything had seemed to be going good for Michigan until MSU and Iowa offered the 6-foot-3 linebacker. Davis previously held only a few offers from smaller schools, and saw his recruitment take off after a tour of camp visits. Ed also received an offer from Cincinnati, which seemed to peak his interest.
A few visits and some negative recruiting later, and Davis was confused about where he stood. He came out and said that MSU and Iowa were at the top of his list, and then later somewhat retracted that statement.

The coaches must have gotten word of Davis' confusion, and got him and his father on campus for an impromptu visit. That visit just recently happened, and no one really knew until after the fact.

Davis has now said that he has reached his decision, and he's ready to announce. "I'm at about 80% with it," he said about his choice. The schools that he narrowed his list down to are Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, and Cincinnati (surprise!). "I'll be announcing my decision the day before my first game of the season," Davis told me. I believe their first game is August 28th against Hudsonville, so he will be announcing on the 27th.

He's kept all of this very close to the vest, and won't even really give any insight. People have asked me where I think he'll end up, and I really have no clue. There's been so many twists and turns in this that I got lost at the last fork in the road.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/tomvh-ed-davis-update
Old 07-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
JasonS
Football Moderator

Every year, at least one prospect comes along that shoots up the state and national rankings. For 2011, that player is Detroit Southeastern linebacker Ed Davis. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Davis has gone from zero scholarship offers to offers from multiple BCS-conference programs, including Michigan State and Michigan.

Last season, Davis and incoming MSU freshman William Gholston formed one of the most dominant pass-rush combinations in the nation. Teams that focused on the five-star recruit, Gholston, quickly learned that Davis would make them pay, to the tune of 106 tackles and 15 sacks for the Jungaleers.

Several national recruiting analysts watched Davis at the recent Sound Mind, Sound Body camp at Wayne State and his recruiting ranking is sure to rise soon. Davis also had a strong showing at the Michigan camp in June. MSU has an elite player camp in July and Davis may attend. Numerous other nationally-ranked prospects, like Lawrence Thomas, DeAnthony Arnett and Doran Grant are expected to be there.

Davis recently said he does not have a specific timetable for a college decision, but hopes to make his selection before his this upcoming football season. Davis wants to focus on helping the Jungaleers reach the state championship game at Ford Field in late November.

http://www.freep.com/article/2010070...aises-eyebrows

This article is from early July. The previous post is more recent.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

Ed Davis
Position: LB

High school: Detroit Southeastern

Ht./Wt.: 6-2 1/2/207

40-yard dash: 4.60

Versatile performances in June at Michigan's one-day camp, the Sound Mind, Sound Body Academy at Wayne State, Iowa's camp, and Michigan State's camp earned him offers from the Wolverines, Hawkeyes, Spartans, and the Syracuse Orangemen. At each stop he flashed the kind athleticism that allowed him to be effective at linebacker, receiver, and safety at various points in his career. Much like Fisher, Davis could reach a decision in the next few weeks. His choice will come down to the three schools: Iowa (the first BCS conference school his family visited together), Michigan (the first BCS conference school to offer), and Michigan State (the BCS conference school where a former teammate and former coach now reside).

Wherever Davis ends up, he has the talent to develop into an impact defender.

"Davis is still light, coming in around 6-3, 210 pounds, but he is very fluid, athletic and comfortable in space," said Trieu. "He covers like a defensive back, changing direction and stopping and starting like a smaller player. When the ball was in the air, he found it, and made plays on it. In his limited reps as a pass rusher, his speed and quickness was tough for blockers to deal with."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100708/...#ixzz0uF4weJcr

This is from July 8th so it is a little dated. It looks like we are making a late push with Ed and have done enough to at least get into his final 4 schools. I have a feeling MSU or Iowa are the teams to beat here.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
At some point one of these highly recruited defensive guys is going to have to commit to UC. Look at all the things that recruits supposedly would like:

-UC plays in a AQ BCS conference
-Games are televised on national TV
-UC has won said conference the past two years, winning said conference(8 members) is easier than going to a school like Michigan State or Illinois where you have no chance of winning
-UC is loaded offensively is in the hunt to three-peat
-As a talented defensive player, my chances of starting is migh higher than at other schools. Said player could be a three year starter if he is that good.
- A number of UC players have been drafted into the NFL in the past five years or more.
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

Detroit LB Ed Davis is apparently announcing his decision on Aug 4th, and it seems like Michigan State are the favorites. Davis is the former teammate of William Gholston, who was a top recruit out of Detroit Southeastern last year and went on to pick the Spartans.

http://mgorecruit.blogspot.com/

It would be an upset if he were to announce UC as his decision next week. I fully expect MSU to be the school he chooses.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Racinejake

Racinejake will become famous soon enough
Committed to Michigan State

http://michiganstate.scout.com/a.z?s...%2f989052.html
Racinejake is offline   Reply With Quote