Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
bearcatbacker82

bearcatbacker82 is on a distinguished road
ESPN Firings and Trickledown Effects

I'm not sure if I should be worried but I am. If the Biggest major network and home to most of Cincinnati bball and football games is struggling this could be bad for us. The AAC is already not respected by media members l. I feel that it would be easy to drop coverage for smaller conferences as a way to save $$. I don't see any other networks that would jump at the chance to add AAC with the same money as ESPN has paid for the last few years. Hopefully I an worried for nothing but I don't like this situation and we need to find a way into a power conference FAST.
bearcatbacker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatbacker82 View Post
I'm not sure if I should be worried but I am. If the Biggest major network and home to most of Cincinnati bball and football games is struggling this could be bad for us. The AAC is already not respected by media members l. I feel that it would be easy to drop coverage for smaller conferences as a way to save $$. I don't see any other networks that would jump at the chance to add AAC with the same money as ESPN has paid for the last few years. Hopefully I an worried for nothing but I don't like this situation and we need to find a way into a power conference FAST.
Someone will pay for our conferences games. Cutting content is not what will help espn's bottom line. I think we are respected about as much as we can be for having 1 sweet 16 in the last 10+years. We win when it counts and we'll get respect no matter what ur network coverage is.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
bearcatbacker82

My concern is will the new network pay the amount ESPN has been paying. We were already being lowballed anyway
Old 04-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatbacker82 View Post
My concern is will the new network pay the amount ESPN has been paying. We were already being lowballed anyway
The AAC cut can't get much lower as it is. Might be worthwhile to move in another direction when the deal is up anyway. I'm not losing any sleep over any of this. ESPN has been a sinking ship for years anyway. This day has been a long time coming.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:46 PM   #5
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Live sports is still coveted. ESPN is failing because they have dozens of awful shows with blowhards who offer nothing to the viewer.
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
Cataclysmo

Cataclysmo is on a distinguished road
I feel as though your concerns are misguided. ESPN is the reason we are in this dirt conference. I wish them nothing but failure.
Cataclysmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 PM   #7
bearcatbacker82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataclysmo View Post
I feel as though your concerns are misguided. ESPN is the reason we are in this dirt conference. I wish them nothing but failure.
I hope you are right. I just wonder if coverage for AAC goes down or pushed solely to ESPN3. Things are going to change big time when the tv contracts are up. I pray we are on the winning side of things when it happens. There is a lot of positive momentum happening with bball and football right now.
Old 04-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #8
rayscott425

rayscott425 is on a distinguished road
Half of our games are on fox sports already
rayscott425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayscott425 View Post
Half of our games are on fox sports already
I must be watching the wrong team.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #10
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDC View Post
Live sports is still coveted. ESPN is failing because they have dozens of awful shows with blowhards who offer nothing to the viewer.
They won't get rid of live sports. Live sports is what will keep them relevant going forward. I think the lay offs were a good thing for ESPN. they had too many people and they were probably making way too much. They could do another round of layoffs if they wanted.

I think it's a weird time for ESPN. Highlights are irrelevant with the Internet and how many debate shows can you have. I would think they try to get more live sports. Was surprised they didn't get the premier league contract a couple years ago.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote