Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-17-2017, 03:45 PM   #301
Little Danny

Little Danny will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Anyone know how NKU is looking this upcoming season? We've talked about all the other big names on the schedule, but you have to figure we worked out a home-and-home or something with NKU. Although I'm a little surprised we haven't heard anything yet.

NKU was obviously pretty good last year, making the tournament with an 87 RPI and 138 KenPom. They're certainly a better play than some of the other cupcakes we'll be facing.
We are entering a series with them but it won't be for a couple years out (after we move back to 5/3rd).
Little Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #302
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Good scheduling is all about increasing opportunity.
Last year we had just 6 chances at top 50 Kenpom wins

This year we could have :
WSU x 2
UCF X 2
Ucla
Florida
Xavier
Smu x 2

That's 9 just using the teams we know will be good.
Houston, temple, uconn and miss state could all be top 50 or top 100 at worse.

Basically at minimum adding 50% more chances at top 50 wins. And even more if other teams improve
That is a solid slate which should give us a chance to get some signature wins as well as solid top 50 wins. Hopefully 1 or 2 more teams in the AAC pull their weight and we get WSU twice.

I like the idea of the committee looking at more metrics based ranking systems. The arbitrary cut offs of top 25, 50, and 100 wins doesn't tell the whole story. If you have played and beaten team in the low 50's a couple times would be an obvious example. Our wins over Houston couldn't have been much worse than a win over a team in the high 40's. Another if, for instance, the teams around 50 is higher quality or lower quality year over year.

Weighting actual rankings and win margins should be used. This way a win over a team ranked 49 is treated roughly the same as a win over a team ranked 51. In the grand scheme the team ranked 51 could actually be a better team than the one ranked 49...it could be a simple difference of a single last second full court shot made against them...in other words "luck" can play a bigger part in whether you are ranked either high 40's or low 50's.

Arbitrary cutoffs are dumb IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #303
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That is a solid slate which should give us a chance to get some signature wins as well as solid top 50 wins. Hopefully 1 or 2 more teams in the AAC pull their weight and we get WSU twice.

I like the idea of the committee looking at more metrics based ranking systems. The arbitrary cut offs of top 25, 50, and 100 wins doesn't tell the whole story. If you have played and beaten team in the low 50's a couple times would be an obvious example. Our wins over Houston couldn't have been much worse than a win over a team in the high 40's. Another if, for instance, the teams around 50 is higher quality or lower quality year over year.

Weighting actual rankings and win margins should be used. This way a win over a team ranked 49 is treated roughly the same as a win over a team ranked 51. In the grand scheme the team ranked 51 could actually be a better team than the one ranked 49...it could be a simple difference of a single last second full court shot made against them...in other words "luck" can play a bigger part in whether you are ranked either high 40's or low 50's.

Arbitrary cutoffs are dumb IMO.

I agree it is dumb.

Id almost rather the committee develop its own standard Metric and rank teams accordingly and have it be updated daily.

And then remove all stipulations in the tournament (you can play a team in your conference or a team you already played once in first round) and just take the human element out of seeding.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #304
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Danny View Post
We are entering a series with them but it won't be for a couple years out (after we move back to 5/3rd).
I've heard from an NKU team source that it will be a 4 game series
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #305
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
I've heard from an NKU team source that it will be a 4 game series
I'd rather it be a 2 for 1 kinda deal
Old 05-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #306
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I'd rather it be a 2 for 1 kinda deal
Yeah but probably wasn't going to happen since they are letting us use their arena. My guess is that had something to do with the 4 game series.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:41 PM   #307
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I wanted to move this article from the 2017-2018 thread to the OOC thread..https://www.fanragsports.com/news/ci...-forget-games/

Thanks BearcatRip..Sounds like Florida game is going to for sure happen.

I can't wait to see this matchup.

OOC sits as...
1. Lessor opponent from the Cayman Classic
2. Lessor opponent from the Cayman Classic
3. UAB/Richmond/Wyoming?
4. Iowa (hopefully)
5. Florida
6. UCLA
7. Mississippi State
8. Xavier

Last edited by GarradJ21; 06-06-2017 at 03:44 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #308
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I wanted to move this article from the 2017-2018 thread to the OOC thread..https://www.fanragsports.com/news/ci...-forget-games/

Thanks BearcatRip..Sounds like Florida game is going to for sure happen.

I can't wait to see this matchup.

OOC sits as...
1. Lessor opponent from the Cayman Classic
2. Lessor opponent from the Cayman Classic
3. UAB/Richmond/Wyoming?
4. Iowa (hopefully)
5. Florida
6. UCLA
7. Mississippi State
8. Xavier
I wish the Cayman Classic offered us at least one match-up against a surefire NCAA team, but at least the "lesser" opponents are quality mid-majors like Buffalo and South Dakota State.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:05 PM   #309
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I wish the Cayman Classic offered us at least one match-up against a surefire NCAA team, but at least the "lesser" opponents are quality mid-majors like Buffalo and South Dakota State.
The mid majors in that bracket are worth alone. Those are games we just wouldn't be able to afford as buy games. We basically can afford maybe 1 or 2 good buy games a year. Our fan base is a lot like a mostly football school where they basically don't show up until after January. So we can't buy those expensive teams
Old 06-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #310
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Crosstown Shoootout will be Saturday, December 2nd Per Rothstein on Twitter.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote