Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get this year in the Tournament?
1-4 24 38.71%
5-8 35 56.45%
9-16 3 4.84%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #1741
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
The big east is a basketball only league. Certainly your not suggesting that its unique status doesn't play a part in their success recruiting. Conference is not a excuse it is reality. We need to land in a Power 5 conference.
Yes I am suggesting that.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #1742
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just depends who you are in basketball imo. Obviously most of the teams in the AAC feel the pain of the lack of 4/5* depth in the conference. It matters much less for us and UConn. That's the same for P5 in that regard. It's very top heavy. Many of the P5 schools have nothing on us in terms of tradition and recent success.

I have a hard time telling where some posters fall on this stuff. On one hand we use the rankings here as an excuse. Sometimes though, we use the rankings to point out how many stars our starters are. And other times (usually after we land a recruit) we talk about rankings not mattering, there is little difference between player #50 to #250.

Here's what I know...we aren't going to recruit with the best of the best of the best. There are only a few schools out of 351 who get multiple one and dones. But we should be able to develop competitive D1 players over the course of their careers. And when it comes to our conference, where about 2/3 of our games are played, we're actually the ones who have the advantages. We can blur things with "landscape" talk, but I've still never heard a reason why we shouldn't be winning the AAC regular season and/or tournament damn near every year. I'm tired of the constant "reasons" why not. Get it done.
I can agree with all of that. Get it done!!
Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #1743
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Just depends who you are in basketball imo. Obviously most of the teams in the AAC feel the pain of the lack of 4/5* depth in the conference. It matters much less for us and UConn. That's the same for P5 in that regard. It's very top heavy. Many of the P5 schools have nothing on us in terms of tradition and recent success.

I have a hard time telling where some posters fall on this stuff. On one hand we use the rankings here as an excuse. Sometimes though, we use the rankings to point out how many stars our starters are. And other times (usually after we land a recruit) we talk about rankings not mattering, there is little difference between player #50 to #250.

Here's what I know...we aren't going to recruit with the best of the best of the best. There are only a few schools out of 351 who get multiple one and dones. But we should be able to develop competitive D1 players over the course of their careers. And when it comes to our conference, where about 2/3 of our games are played, we're actually the ones who have the advantages. We can blur things with "landscape" talk, but I've still never heard a reason why we shouldn't be winning the AAC regular season and/or tournament damn near every year. I'm tired of the constant "reasons" why not. Get it done.
I'm all for getting it done but beating UCONN will never be a walk in the park.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #1744
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Wh your a very passionate fan. Dilusional but passionate. Oh and WH I don't need to make excuses for the program because I am satisfied with our situation. Doesn't mean I don't want to win more games but I like our program.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 PM   #1745
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Wh your a very passionate fan. Dilusional but passionate. Oh and WH I don't need to make excuses for the program because I am satisfied with our situation. Doesn't mean I don't want to win more games but I like our program.
You can call me delusional all you like but if you can't offer a rebuttal that is telling. Delusional fans offer excuses for more things than need excuses for.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #1746
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Quote:
You can call me delusional all you like but if you can't offer a rebuttal that is telling. Delusional fans offer excuses for more things than need excuses for.
Chad is on line. Let's ask him. He has direct contact with these kids. Does league affiliation have a big impact on landing 4 and 5 star talent?
Old 11-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #1747
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
oh and I printed the tweet. Which was certainly evidence of such. You mentioned the BE. Not exactly apples and oranges because it is a basketball only league.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:38 PM   #1748
Chad Brendel
Elite Member

Chad Brendel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Chad is on line. Let's ask him. He has direct contact with these kids. Does league affiliation have a big impact on landing 4 and 5 star talent?
Huge impact. Next kid I hear say he wants to play in the AAC will be the first. Hear it all the time with the P5 and Big East. Had the parent of a recruit this fall say not getting in to Big 12 was a deciding factor and kid went elsewhere. Another kid in the summer the staff loved, but picked a P5 league with that being a major factor. The AAC is seen as a second tier league in basketball circles and kids with tier 1 options aren't interested. Is what it is...
Chad Brendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #1749
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Brendel View Post
Huge impact. Next kid I hear say he wants to play in the AAC will be the first. Hear it all the time with the P5 and Big East. Had the parent of a recruit this fall say not getting in to Big 12 was a deciding factor and kid went elsewhere. Another kid in the summer the staff loved, but picked a P5 league with that being a major factor. The AAC is seen as a second tier league in basketball circles and kids with tier 1 options aren't interested. Is what it is...
Thanks Chad.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #1750
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You are conflating the point and moving the goal post. Let's ask him whether or not the big East is such a hot bed for recruitment that they should beat the AAC 13-2 in high ranking recruits simply because of conference affiliation. Rather than other things like coaches etc.