Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #461
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Cronin can get his team to a top 20 defense with all walk ons.

I mean. I am never concerned about the defensive end because knows how to coach defense.

Next years goals for me:
Top 20 on D
Top25-30 on O
I think part of this is due to the fact we have often recruited athleticism over skill and those guys were starting rather than role players and it's probably why our offense was so horrible. Jackson, Rubles, KJ, Ellis, Bishop etc.

Ellis was our leading scorer at under 10 PPG his first year back. KJ was 5th that year...6.5 PPG.

It's not hard to field a good defensive team when you are starting many non skilled athletes. When Rubles was a senior he was 3rd on team in scoring at 7.8 PPG...but he was a damn good defender! Jackson's junior year he averaged 3.8 points.

We are fortunate right now to have Clark and Evans who can do both...but Washington and Cumberland do not fit the mold of years gone by. I prefer the new recruiting and if we can somehow manage to hold onto our defensive efficiency that's great...but I don't expect to be quite as good.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #462
Bearcat513
Elite Member

Bearcat513 is on a distinguished road
I have no idea if this has been posted because, honestly, not keeping up with this thread lol. But, this tweets shows how many players are transferring out of the AAC. Not a good look.

https://twitter.com/tcf_15/status/851859986795773952
Bearcat513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:49 PM   #463
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post
I have no idea if this has been posted because, honestly, not keeping up with this thread lol. But, this tweets shows how many players are transferring out of the AAC. Not a good look.

Par for the course.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #464
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think part of this is due to the fact we have often recruited athleticism over skill and those guys were starting rather than role players and it's probably why our offense was so horrible. Jackson, Rubles, KJ, Ellis, Bishop etc.

Ellis was our leading scorer at under 10 PPG his first year back. KJ was 5th that year...6.5 PPG.

It's not hard to field a good defensive team when you are starting many non skilled athletes. When Rubles was a senior he was 3rd on team in scoring at 7.8 PPG...but he was a damn good defender! Jackson's junior year he averaged 3.8 points.

We are fortunate right now to have Clark and Evans who can do both...but Washington and Cumberland do not fit the mold of years gone by. I prefer the new recruiting and if we can somehow manage to hold onto our defensive efficiency that's great...but I don't expect to be quite as good.
I think I heard Cumberland was only behind Clark in deflections (might have been per minute). And again, when we're in zone he's often at the bottom, which is an easier assignment. Especially for a guy with good instincts. There was concern about his defense coming into this year...that didn't really show to be true, especially as the year went on. It's not like he's a bad athlete. And he'll only get better.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #465
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I think I heard Cumberland was only behind Clark in deflections (might have been per minute). And again, when we're in zone he's often at the bottom, which is an easier assignment. Especially for a guy with good instincts. There was concern about his defense coming into this year...that didn't really show to be true, especially as the year went on. It's not like he's a bad athlete. And he'll only get better.
I can believe that about deflections. His instincts are off the charts even if his jumping ability is not...Lol!
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #466
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat513 View Post

Johnny Dawkins son transferring from Michigan to UCF, that's interesting.

I don't think anyone outside of people who post on a board like this knows or cares about how many kids are transferring out of the AAC. I don't think it's a "look" for our league, I'm sure you could put together a similar list for almost any conference.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #467
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Johnny Dawkins son transferring from Michigan to UCF, that's interesting.

I don't think anyone outside of people who post on a board like this knows or cares about how many kids are transferring out of the AAC. I don't think it's a "look" for our league, I'm sure you could put together a similar list for almost any conference.
Agree, no one on that list Besides the Lawson's, will turn any heads
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #468
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Per the banquet, the player with most deflections per minute played for 16-17 - Cumberland got the award
Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 PM   #469
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can believe that about deflections. His instincts are off the charts even if his jumping ability is not...Lol!
I think that we agree that is something can be improved more easily than improving lateral quickness. Give Rehfeldt a year with Cumberland. See the changes Evans had vertically between fr and So.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #470
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Agree, no one on that list Besides the Lawson's, will turn any heads
And only one of the Lawsons does that