Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #81
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
If we beat them twice they might be starting to appear toward the bottom end of the top 25.
Sure, but that's also true of other teams at the top. If Purdue beats Michigan St and Ohio St, then the Big Ten really only has one "marquee" team. If Auburn beats Kentucky, then the SEC only has one "marquee" team despite being really a solid conference.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #82
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Why label them as a certain group if there are tiers within that group? That doesn't make sense to me. The committee is going to look at Group 1 wins and then analyze how "Group 1-y" they really are?
Of course they will. Column 1 can include a win away against #75 or #1. The committee should and will treat them differently as they are fine tuning seed lines.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM   #83
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Sure, but that's also true of other teams at the top. If Purdue beats Michigan St and Ohio St, then the Big Ten really only has one "marquee" team. If Auburn beats Kentucky, then the SEC only has one "marquee" team despite being really a solid conference.
true true...but WSU is the ONLY team we have to do this with. We need WSU to stay as high in the ranking as we can...while still beating them...lol! We don't need them losing any more games outside of UC right now.

Last edited by waterhead; 01-19-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:00 AM   #84
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Of course they will. Column 1 can include a win away against #75 or #1. The committee should and will treat them differently as they are fine tuning seed lines.
Well then what's the point of making the groups at all? And why set the parameters that way if there are such big differences within a group? I don't get that. A Group 1 win should be a Group 1 win should be a Group 1 win. If it isn't looked at that way, then they shouldn't have set it up like that.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #85
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Well then what's the point of making the groups at all? And why set the parameters that way if there are such big differences within a group? I don't get that. A Group 1 win should be a Group 1 win should be a Group 1 win. If it isn't looked at that way, then they shouldn't have set it up like that.
It's a starting point for a seed line. There are lots of other variables when they get to fine tuning. We should look very good in certain variables. Like...the committee likes to see road and neutral success. We will only have 1 chance at a column 1 win at home...provided a team like SMU doesn't sneak in which I doubt. Our wins will be away from home...that is a very good thing.

We also haven't played a single game in our true home arena which I would hope the committee will be aware of. It's not a true home game and also not a true neutral game.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #86
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
RPI groups are simply designed to initially sort teams. Sorting hundreds of teams would be next to impossible for a human if you didn't have a small number of criteria to compare. But when splitting hairs between a few teams, then it's easier to compare more details. Still, the number of Group 1 wins is really important even if they're all at the bottom of Group 1, because it puts you on the right side of the first process used to sort teams.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #87
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
It's a starting point for a seed line. There are lots of other variables when they get to fine tuning. We should look very good in certain variables. Like...the committee likes to see road and neutral success. We will only have 1 chance at a column 1 win at home...provided a team like SMU doesn't sneak in which I doubt. Our wins will be away from home...that is a very good thing.

We also haven't played a single game in our true home arena which I would hope the committee will be aware of. It's not a true home game and also not a true neutral game.
But they just did it this year. So if it's already known that a Group 1 win can be dismissed for being low-end in that group, them why not adjust the Groups? It's not a good sign if this new thing is already looked at like "Yeah but" when they're the ones who created it to begin with. If a Group 1 win needs to be that special then why not do Top 10 at home, Top 25 neutral, Top 40 on the road? They didn't do it so they can't come back after the fact and take credit away from you bc "yeah your wins are in this group that we set up but are they reeeeallllly in this group?".
Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #88
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

yeah i dont really like it. its another way for them to choose to use certain criteria for specific teams. for a blue blood school they might only want to look at group 1 record. for a non power 5 then they might start to break down where in group 1 the actual teams are.

when they first came out with the groupings my first thought was "oh a win at duke is the same as a win at UCF now"? obviously that would be silly.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #89
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
RPI groups are simply designed to initially sort teams. Sorting hundreds of teams would be next to impossible for a human if you didn't have a small number of criteria to compare. But when splitting hairs between a few teams, then it's easier to compare more details. Still, the number of Group 1 wins is really important even if they're all at the bottom of Group 1, because it puts you on the right side of the first process used to sort teams.
Getting mixed messages.

I agree with you. I think they should be very important. It is the top group after all.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:16 AM   #90
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
But they just did it this year. So if it's already known that a Group 1 win can be dismissed for being low-end in that group, them why not adjust the Groups? It's not a good sign if this new thing is already looked at like "Yeah but" when they're the ones who created it to begin with. If a Group 1 win needs to be that special then why not do Top 10 at home, Top 25 neutral, Top 40 on the road? They didn't do it so they can't come back after the fact and take credit away from you bc "yeah your wins are in this group that we set up but are they reeeeallllly in this group?".
Remember how bad it was last year? It was straight up top 50 home or away and then top 100 home or away. They have adjusted it a little which is good but it's not what I would like to see. I would rather them go straight up metrics like Kenpom which considers margin of victory as well as SOS.