Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What seed will UC get?
1-2 9 14.52%
3 27 43.55%
4 15 24.19%
5 9 14.52%
6 2 3.23%
7 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #101
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
I just want to add that at although the quality of these wins is different, at least they are both good wins. Under the old system, a win at Duke was the same as a home win against Maryland! I agree that no system is perfect, but the new groups are lightyears better than just top 50 in my opinion.
oh yeah ill agree with that for sure. there must be more credit given to winning road games. obviously if we beat smu at home and on the road that the road win was much more difficult.

maybe it needs to expand beyond just top 25 at home? or maybe come down from 75 road teams. im not sure. kenpom 27 fsu would be favored at 67 ncsu and 74 BC by 1 point according to kenpom. but fsu would be a group 2 home game while wins at ncsu and BC would be group 1 road wins.

Last edited by cincrulz11; 01-19-2018 at 10:29 AM.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:27 AM   #102
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Our schedule has been met with some adversity all along. UCLA lost a few players and a lot of teams lost games right in front of us making our games against them kind of "must win" situations for them. UCF lost two players but they were supposed to be a top level AAC team. We played UCF with Taylor his first game back on a night when the football team was honored. We are playing off campus for the first time in 30 years. We are playing more away/neutral games because of that. We had to pick up some poor non con games because of that. We will play away on senior night two times for the second year in a row. That should not happen.

If we come through this without too much damage it's going to be a great year. The committee isn't going to realize half of this stuff which is unfortunate. But we should be very well prepared as a team in March regardless of our non con SOS.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #103
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Its early still and the RPI can be pretty volatile. But the league is hugely improved in that category which really helps teams maintain their ranking by playing top 100 teams.

I'm all about Kenpom but looking at RPI since its what the committee uses

Last year top 100 RPI teams: 4 (UC, SMU, Houston, UCF)
This year Top 100 RPI teams: 9 ( UC, WSU, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, UCONN)

Tulsa is 121 currently

When top 100 teams play each, win or lose, generally will stay top 100. If the teams in the top 9 of RPI can avoid losses to ECU and USF, we could finish with 9 teams in the RPI top 100. Which gives us a lot of good win opportunities.

While this league could still be a 2-3 bid league, there is no doubting that its improved on all fronts.

Once they fire Ollie and get Tom crean, UConn will start winning again.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:46 AM   #104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Its early still and the RPI can be pretty volatile. But the league is hugely improved in that category which really helps teams maintain their ranking by playing top 100 teams.

I'm all about Kenpom but looking at RPI since its what the committee uses

Last year top 100 RPI teams: 4 (UC, SMU, Houston, UCF)
This year Top 100 RPI teams: 9 ( UC, WSU, SMU, Houston, Tulane, Tulsa, UCF, Memphis, UCONN)

Tulsa is 121 currently

When top 100 teams play each, win or lose, generally will stay top 100. If the teams in the top 9 of RPI can avoid losses to ECU and USF, we could finish with 9 teams in the RPI top 100. Which gives us a lot of good win opportunities.

While this league could still be a 2-3 bid league, there is no doubting that its improved on all fronts.

warren nolan's predicted results only have the first 4 finishing in the top 100 in rpi.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #105
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

I'm not quite sold on this idea. We were around #7 as a conference in OOC and that is probably where we landed last year. We are top heavy with two teams just like last year. The middle of the conference is getting mucky again.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #106
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
maybe it needs to expand beyond just top 25 at home? or maybe come down from 75 road teams. im not sure. kenpom 27 fsu would be favored at 67 ncsu and 74 BC by 1 point according to kenpom. but fsu would be a group 2 home game while wins at ncsu and BC would be group 1 road wins.
Yeah, when you get near the cutoff points for each Group, things are going to get messy. That will happen regardless of how the groups are set up.

And that's why I root for the teams on our schedule to stay on the right side of those cutoffs. It doesn't necessarily mean a team is significantly better, but it makes a big difference in how they appear to the committee.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:53 AM   #107
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
warren nolan's predicted results only have the first 4 finishing in the top 100 in rpi.
But rpiforecast has six finishing in the top 100 (actually all six end up top 75, which is what really matters). Warren Nolan's predictions are biased toward higher ranked teams, since he assumes the favorite wins every single game. That hurts predicted records for middle of the pack teams.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #108
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
But rpiforecast has six finishing in the top 100 (actually all six end up top 75, which is what really matters). Warren Nolan's predictions are biased toward higher ranked teams, since he assumes the favorite wins every single game. That hurts predicted records for middle of the pack teams.
and they are all right on the fringe of the top 100 even in his predictions.

but it still remains possible they all miss the cut. i wouldn't expect UCF to miss the top 100 and i think temple can stay in it too (who wasn't even in the 9 teams he listed). i dont really have much faith in any of the others though.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #109
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
and they are all right on the fringe of the top 100 even in his predictions.

but it still remains possible they all miss the cut. i wouldn't expect UCF to miss the top 100 and i think temple can stay in it too (who wasn't even in the 9 teams he listed). i dont really have much faith in any of the others though.
I think that's the problem is we are playing fringe teams that could be on the inside our outside of arbitrary cutoffs. Whereas a different conference may have more teams squarely inside the cutoff or higher ranked in general.

We have too many border teams which means we are going to have to get the job done in a big way to avoid getting jobbed again.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #110
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think that's the problem is we are playing fringe teams that could be on the inside our outside of arbitrary cutoffs. Whereas a different conference may have more teams squarely inside the cutoff or higher ranked in general.

We have too many border teams which means we are going to have to get the job done in a big way to avoid getting jobbed again.

but the original point from justin still remains. the conference is trending up and hopefully this is just the start. this can be a solid bball conference.