Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2017, 07:06 PM   #811
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I loved rashad bishop I would take a player like him in a second, could hit the outside shot good rebounder and decision make and probably the best defensive player under Mick Cronin
I was just thinking of bishop the other day. Was thinking/Hoping moore can turn in to that type of player. (Right handed version). I don't know if he is as athletic as bishop tho.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #812
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I was just thinking of bishop the other day. Was thinking/Hoping moore can turn in to that type of player. (Right handed version). I don't know if he is as athletic as bishop tho.
Moore is a much better shooter than Bishop. I would be satisfied if he could become half the rebounder and defender that Bishop was. I see Moore as more of a Field Williams type. If he provides more than that, that will be great.

Another name that comes to mind in this conversation is Jaquon Parker. One of the best all around bearcats, alot like Bishop in that he could do it all. Clark probably fits that mold on this team.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 06:55 AM   #813
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I loved rashad bishop I would take a player like him in a second, could hit the outside shot good rebounder and decision make and probably the best defensive player under Mick Cronin
Looking back at Bishops junior and senior year were very good actually. His freshman and soph years were a little less desirable.

Other than FT shooting his junior year he had good numbers in his last two years although on somewhat low FG attempts. I know he was a stud defender. He took care of the ball, didn't foul a lot, shot with good efficiency, etc. Not flashy but all around good.

A funny thing looking at his numbers on Sports Reference he scored exactly 5.4 ppg in his Fr and So years and 8.4 in his Jr and Sr years.

Having him to spell Cumberland and Evans would be a great thing. Hopefully Williams and/or Moore can give us what we need.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #814
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Looking back at Bishops junior and senior year were very good actually. His freshman and soph years were a little less desirable.

Other than FT shooting his junior year he had good numbers in his last two years although on somewhat low FG attempts. I know he was a stud defender. He took care of the ball, didn't foul a lot, shot with good efficiency, etc. Not flashy but all around good.

A funny thing looking at his numbers on Sports Reference he scored exactly 5.4 ppg in his Fr and So years and 8.4 in his Jr and Sr years.

Having him to spell Cumberland and Evans would be a great thing. Hopefully Williams and/or Moore can give us what we need.
He also averaged exactly .3 blocks his Fr and So years and .6 in his Jr and Sr years.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM   #815
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
While I certainly think we will be a faster paced offense this year. What I want to see more then anything is us getting to the FT line more. We shoot way to many 3's and far to few Ft's.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #816
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
While I certainly think we will be a faster paced offense this year. What I want to see more then anything is us getting to the FT line more. We shoot way to many 3's and far to few Ft's.
One stat I always hear about the teams that are left at the end of March is "team X made more free throws than their opponent attempted". I would love to see UC fit that category this year.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 09:27 AM   #817
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyfromNKY View Post
One stat I always hear about the teams that are left at the end of March is "team X made more free throws than their opponent attempted". I would love to see UC fit that category this year.
Getting some easy transition buckets and shooting more FT's will go a long way in making us a better scoring team.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:36 AM   #818
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I agree with this and we have 2 guys coming into the starting lineup who have been pretty good at this compared to the two guys who left. They just get to the line more.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #819
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We were 90th in attempts last year, and that's total. We played 36 games, which is more than most teams. So per games we were probably in the 100s. Not sure it's that we shoot way too many...after all, all 5 of our starters are capable of hitting them when open. Most teams don't have that. For me, it just comes down to who is shooting them. Obviously it'd be nice to get more FT attempts. Guys like Williams, Broome, and Cumberland settling for contested 3s wouldn't be good. But we can still shoot just as many as we did last year overall and it wouldn't be a huge deal. We did have our best offense ever under Cronin, right? Making teams respect our shooting is huge for stretching out the defense. Evans and T Moore can shoot as many as they want imo. Cumberland too, since he has the good natural instincts and knows when to drive, when to pump fake, and when to shoot. I get that 3s vs FTs can be a mentality thing, and that's important. But it's also important to have guys who can actually get to the line. That's a skill. Most college players don't have that skill. If you see our FTs go up this year, I think it'll mostly have to do with having 3 players who can get to the line regularly as part of their natural game. Just like we don't want to force 3s, we don't want to force drives. It stalls out the offense when it doesn't work.

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 10-18-2017 at 09:43 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #820
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We were 90th in attempts last year, and that's total. We played 36 games, which is more than most teams. So per games we were probably in the 100s. Not sure it's that we shoot way too many...after all, all 5 of our starters are capable of hitting them when open. Most teams don't have that. For me, it just comes down to who is shooting them. Obviously it'd be nice to get more FT attempts. Guys like Williams, Broome, and Cumberland settling for contested 3s wouldn't be good. But we can still shoot just as many as we did last year overall and it wouldn't be a huge deal. We did have our best offense ever under Cronin, right? Making teams respect our shooting is huge for stretching out the defense. Evans and T Moore can shoot as many as they want imo. Cumberland too, since he has the good natural instincts and knows when to drive, when to pump fake, and when to shoot. I get that 3s vs FTs can be a mentality thing, and that's important. But it's also important to have guys who can actually get to the line. That's a skill. Most college players don't have that skill. If you see our FTs go up this year, I think it'll mostly have to do with having 3 players who can get to the line regularly as part of their natural game. Just like we don't want to force 3s, we don't want to force drives. It stalls out the offense when it doesn't work.
Jake I agree our personnel is better but to beat good teams you have to get to FT line and get some easy hoops in transition. Let's also not forget that last years team while better offensively didn't get out of the first weekend. We on this board were screaming for someone to play downhill. If we get that with some easy transition baskets we will be a tough out. I'm not saying we shouldn't take open looks just saying to great instead of good we need to run and also get to the line much more then past years