Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2017 Recruiting Profiles

Old 05-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #151
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Also depends on scholarships. If we use all 13, we have flexibility to have our roster include a range of players who are on different trajectories.
Exactly. Plus, Keith Williams is not a project and one could argue has more talent than what Gary Clark had coming in as a freshman.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #152
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Also depends on scholarships. If we use all 13, we have flexibility to have our roster include a range of players who are on different trajectories.
This! It has been hard for us to fill a roster of 12-13 players in general (last year we had 11 with one sitting out). It would be even harder for US to fill that roster with players in very high demand because they will see playing time openings at other schools.

When we get a chance to fill the roster with decent quality depth I think we should do it so we can be picky with next year's recruits. For that 13th scholly I would rather hold it for an impact player or late bloomer though because we don't necessarily have to fill it. Obviously we filled it with Diarra but I would have been okay holding it too.

Next year we lose 3 players I think. I would like to see quality and no projects. A BIG, a PG, and a wing. We are opening a new arena and I think that will be a nice selling point in addition to other selling points. We will have playing time to offer for a quality BIG, one year for a PG to get his feet wet, and one year for a quality wing to do the same.

Last edited by waterhead; 05-02-2017 at 08:26 AM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #153
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Next year we lose 3 players I think.
Just wanted to add that it could easily be 4. Evans is currently projected to go 39th (early/mid 2nd round) next year in the draft, per Draft Express.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #154
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Just wanted to add that it could easily be 4. Evans is currently projected to go 39th (early/mid 2nd round) next year in the draft, per Draft Express.
You could be right. The only problem I see is that Evans was not ready this year to break out and be THE MAN just yet. It may be tough to do this year as well with 4 other quality scorers on the floor...all who want the ball with the possible exception of Gary who doesn't demand the ball as much. Cumberland is probably going to be more assertive this year with his touches and we know Kyle will try to maximize his touches and it sounds like Broome will do the same.

For Jacob to make another jump...he will have to have worked hard on something in the off season. Specifically, being more efficient with his drives off the bounce. He can shoot, he can defend, but he still has a little too much Shaq Thomas hesitation in him when he dribbles around on the perimeter and doesn't get into the lane for a shot attempt or drawing a foul.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #155
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You could be right. The only problem I see is that Evans was not ready this year to break out and be THE MAN just yet. It may be tough to do this year as well with 4 other quality scorers on the floor...all who want the ball with the possible exception of Gary who doesn't demand the ball as much. Cumberland is probably going to be more assertive this year with his touches and we know Kyle will try to maximize his touches and it sounds like Broome will do the same.

For Jacob to make another jump...he will have to have worked hard on something in the off season. Specifically, being more efficient with his drives off the bounce. He can shoot, he can defend, but he still has a little too much Shaq Thomas hesitation in him when he dribbles around on the perimeter and doesn't get into the lane for a shot attempt or drawing a foul.
I really hope Jacob and Jarron work together in the off season or that Jacob watches game tape of Jarron. Jarron has the instinct to know when to put the ball on the floor and go. He has the best pump fake we have seen in over a decade...and his timing to drive off that fake is impeccable. He wastes no energy with extra dribbles when he decides to drive...it's just one or two dribbles and drive.

Jacob has been known to dribble around for too long and too much dribbling usually doesn't end all that well for him. It's basically indecision or paralysis by analysis. Jarron doesn't seem to have indecision...his instincts are off the charts. If Evans can master that he could move up and play in the league no doubt.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #156
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
What I like about Nsoseme,Diarra and K. Williams is they seem to have the hustle-motor whatever you want to call it. I have seen a lot of Nsoseme's games he tries extremely hard and does whatever the team needs. K. Williams could easily be top 50 but he plays team ball and didn't take nearly the amount of shots of some of the other NYC kids that I watched and are rated above him. Diarra missed a lot of time because of an ACL injury and broken bones in his hand or he would be higher rated. I really think K. Williams will be really good right away and Diarra might be. Nsoseme will take time.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:16 PM   #157
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I really hope Jacob and Jarron work together in the off season or that Jacob watches game tape of Jarron. Jarron has the instinct to know when to put the ball on the floor and go. He has the best pump fake we have seen in over a decade...and his timing to drive off that fake is impeccable. He wastes no energy with extra dribbles when he decides to drive...it's just one or two dribbles and drive.

Jacob has been known to dribble around for too long and too much dribbling usually doesn't end all that well for him. It's basically indecision or paralysis by analysis. Jarron doesn't seem to have indecision...his instincts are off the charts. If Evans can master that he could move up and play in the league no doubt.
YESSSS! JC is one of the best UC players under Cronin as far as pure basketball instincts goes. He just knows how to play basketball. I know that last statement sounds simple but we really haven't had many players who were true basketball players. That comes from many hours in the gym and many hours around good basketball mentors.
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #158
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Some cool stuff from coach LD...

"It takes the pressure off because in any given (recruiting) year you might go in really needing a big guy and you might strike out on a guy that's really good enough and have to take a lesser guy that you develop that's got a lot less skill," Davis said. "Getting this guy, who's highly skilled, and having him in the fold, with who we're going to lose a year from now, is huge."

"He can really shoot the ball at 15 feet," Davis said. "He can make threes. He can handle the ball. He can shot-fake you and drive it. We loved him because he played so hard. He's a shot blocker. He tries got get every rebound and he's got some offensive skills. He's not a back-to-the-basket guy, but he can score down there. His game is probably like Gary Clark's is now. Gary Clark was more of a center who translated out. I'm not saying he's as good as Gary right this minute, but he's very similar to Gary in terms of his skill set."

"It's a way that we can get probably a higher level player than maybe we could," Davis said, "although that's beginning to change. If we keep winning 30-some games and if we can just get over the hump and make one deep run in the tournament, it won't matter what conference we're in."

Last edited by waterhead; 05-04-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:40 PM   #159
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

"It takes the pressure off because in any given (recruiting) year you might go in really needing a big guy and you might strike out on a guy that's really good enough and have to take a lesser guy that you develop that's got a lot less skill," Davis said. "Getting this guy, who's highly skilled, and having him in the fold, with who we're going to lose a year from now, is huge."

"He can really shoot the ball at 15 feet," Davis said. "He can make threes. He can handle the ball. He can shot-fake you and drive it. We loved him because he played so hard. He's a shot blocker. He tries got get every rebound and he's got some offensive skills. He's not a back-to-the-basket guy, but he can score down there. His game is probably like Gary Clark's is now. Gary Clark was more of a center who translated out. I'm not saying he's as good as Gary right this minute, but he's very similar to Gary in terms of his skill set."

"It's a way that we can get probably a higher level player than maybe we could," Davis said, "although that's beginning to change. If we keep winning 30-some games and if we can just get over the hump and make one deep run in the tournament, it won't matter what conference we're in."
I hope this comes to pass but I would love to get out of this conference. Not just for Basketball but Football. If you take away the P5 barrier from both our coaches with what they have accomplished it would be very exciting to see where we end up. Good facilities, good education, pro town, a emerging fan base. The past administration understood what needed to be done. We need to finish the job.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #160
Bearcatboy
Epic Member

Bearcatboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Wow winning 30 some games means something who would of thought........
Bearcatboy is offline   Reply With Quote