Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #11
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Anyone wanting to insult our coach will find fault in anything he says.
Haters gonna hate.

When we win - it's the kids.

When we lose - it's Mick.

Whatever.
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcginnjw View Post
Yeah nothing's wrong with Mick stating obvious facts. I have watched Dayton play an actual home game in the tournament.
I don't think you understand the definition of the word fact.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I don't think you understand the definition of the word fact.
I think it would be a fact that the only thing the ncaa cares about is money
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
HoosierCat
Elite Member

HoosierCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think it would be a fact that the only thing the ncaa cares about is money
Absolute fact.
HoosierCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #15
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I didn't even think this was news. Hasnt the commitee admitted to setting up interesting match-ups? I thought that was all he was saying
I'm not denying there's not some truth to what he's saying, it's the way he delivers his message that I take issue with. Mick wants everyone to treat him and his program like we're one of the big boys but he doesn't do enough with the results to justify that treatment.

It comes across as whining to me. If you don't want to piddle over the mid tier seeds in the NCAA then play to a higher level. We play a n the AAC and we've had a pretty good year but another year without a conference championship. Win championships and take care of your business and maybe you will get invites to Maui and higher seeds in the NCAA's.

It's not all about money, that may factor into some matchups but the better teams get the higher seeds. Everything Mick says comes across as excuses and whining in this interview. At least that's my perspective.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #16
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
I'm not denying there's not some truth to what he's saying, it's the way he delivers his message that I take issue with. Mick wants everyone to treat him and his program like we're one of the big boys but he doesn't do enough with the results to justify that treatment.

It comes across as whining to me. If you don't want to piddle over the mid tier seeds in the NCAA then play to a higher level. We play a n the AAC and we've had a pretty good year but another year without a conference championship. Win championships and take care of your business and maybe you will get invites to Maui and higher seeds in the NCAA's.

It's not all about money, that may factor into some matchups but the better teams get the higher seeds. Everything Mick says comes across as excuses and whining in this interview. At least that's my perspective.
I like mick, I don't think he is perfect. I do agree he whines a lot
Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:

I don't think he was saying that better teams don't get high seeds. I think he was saying if they have to move a team a seed line to get a better matchup they will. And I agree. Why wouldn't they? They want more interesting games
Old 03-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #18
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

I'd much rather have a coach that says what his on his mind and is candid about it than someone that acts like a politician and is afraid to speak his mind. You want to call it whining, fine. I call it honesty. The reality is that Mick wasn't saying, "UC always gets the shaft," though one could argue that when we got a 6 seed against Florida St. No way that team should have been a 6 seed. He was saying that the committee will move teams off seed lines to set up more interesting match ups. Does anyone actually think this doesn't happen? No one found it odd that we seemingly always ended up in Ohio State or Kentucky's brackets? The committee wanted to see the match up because those games don't happen in the regular season and it would generate conversation. Conversation generates ratings. Ratings generate money. Therefore, conversation generates money. The transitive property at work! Kind of ironic when you think about it considering the NCAA really couldn't care less about education of student athletes.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #19
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I'd much rather have a coach that says what his on his mind and is candid about it than someone that acts like a politician and is afraid to speak his mind. You want to call it whining, fine. I call it honesty. The reality is that Mick wasn't saying, "UC always gets the shaft," though one could argue that when we got a 6 seed against Florida St. No way that team should have been a 6 seed. He was saying that the committee will move teams off seed lines to set up more interesting match ups. Does anyone actually think this doesn't happen? No one found it odd that we seemingly always ended up in Ohio State or Kentucky's brackets? The committee wanted to see the match up because those games don't happen in the regular season and it would generate conversation. Conversation generates ratings. Ratings generate money. Therefore, conversation generates money. The transitive property at work! Kind of ironic when you think about it considering the NCAA really couldn't care less about education of student athletes.
Yeah, I think I've heard them say they will set interesting match ups before. As far as the point about screwing Uc over. I disagree with that. I don't think anyone cares about us enough to try to screw us over.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #20
cincyguy13
Epic Member

We haven't won anything in forever, not sure why anyone would be out to get us. I've heard this argument before from fans and never understand it