Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #31
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Come on. Don't be naive. You don't think the CFP teams are chosen as a result of getting viewership as high as possible? Huge fans of College Football would watch regardless. They are trying to gain viewers from the casual fans. That's why Ohio State was in over Penn State. The same thing happens in college hoops. There just happens to be 68 teams that get invited. They have to follow rules as to where they put teams but there is enough wiggle room that they can manipulate the bracket to interest casual fans. It happens every year. It will this year too. And like I said, I'm fine with it.
Not naïve at all. Of course it happens. That is the point Mick is making. Personally I really don't think trying to max out earning potential is a reason to seed teams. You are charged huge prices for tickets, concessions are way over priced. Sports are on a very slippery slope as it is with regard to creating equal playing fields. Be careful what you are OK with!

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 03-02-2017 at 06:30 AM.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #32
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Isn't it funny (not really) that all year, everyone uses all these complex matrices, seedings, formulas, etc to predetermine seedings and rankings. Then when it's actually time to seed the field, human nature takes, biases, and greed take over and essentially analytics goes out the window.

Yes they use matrices to seed teams but the committee really sets the matchups. Shouldn't they use one of the formulas that basically ranks the team's and place those teams on theIraq respected line. I guess that would be near impossible because we would have a lot of same conference teams playing earlier and there is not one true matrix the committee uses. Interesting to think about.
They do have the means to manipulate the selection process.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:20 AM   #33
eric3287

eric3287 is on a distinguished road
I'm probably easier on Mick than some, possibly because we are both Lancers, but the part about the NCAA seeding seemed less whining and more just answering a question. I believe he was asked what he thought this Houston game means in terms of NCAA seeding. He could have given more of the standard "coach" answer and just said, "We're just worrying about winning each game and we'll let the seeds fall where they may." I think that part of the answer was understood.

I don't know enough about how Maui chooses its participants to know whether that was whining or fair criticism. Looking at the teams that play in it, it's not just a collection of Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky every year. They haven't had as many second weekend runs as we'd all like to see, but they're "worst loss" in the tournament was probably the Harvard loss, and that Harvard team was 32 in KenPom and got a 12 seed. (For reference, UC was 31 in Kenpom the year they got the 6 seed and went to the Sweet 16, and 32 last year as a 9 seed). Maybe Maui places more emphasis on occasional Sweet 16s and Elite 8s than consistently winning 22+ games and making the NCAA tournament. If so, fair enough. Make a couple runs and get your invitation.
eric3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #34
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
I don't think you understand the definition of the word fact.
What is the answer to 99 out of 100 questions
Old 03-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #35
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
Come on. Don't be naive. You don't think the CFP teams are chosen as a result of getting viewership as high as possible? Huge fans of College Football would watch regardless. They are trying to gain viewers from the casual fans. That's why Ohio State was in over Penn State. The same thing happens in college hoops. There just happens to be 68 teams that get invited. They have to follow rules as to where they put teams but there is enough wiggle room that they can manipulate the bracket to interest casual fans. It happens every year. It will this year too. And like I said, I'm fine with it.
Penn State didn't get in bc they had 2 losses, one of which was by over 30.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #36
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I watched the interview and it didn't seem all that "whiny" to me. I have heard Cronin whine (a lot) before about refs etc...but this didn't have the same vibe.

I just hope we can win on senior night and close out this season undefeated at home!! That would be huge. I wonder how many seniors get to even attempt that feat?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

They definitely set up matchups people would want to see. Undefeated Wichita State vs Kentucky in the 2nd round in a perfect example. They also matched up Wichita and KU one year in the 2nd round. Stuff like that happens all the time.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:34 AM   #38
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
They definitely set up matchups people would want to see. Undefeated Wichita State vs Kentucky in the 2nd round in a perfect example. They also matched up Wichita and KU one year in the 2nd round. Stuff like that happens all the time.
Sad to see you've bought into the fake news
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:35 AM   #39
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I watched the interview and it didn't seem all that "whiny" to me. I have heard Cronin whine (a lot) before about refs etc...but this didn't have the same vibe.

I just hope we can win on senior night and close out this season undefeated at home!! That would be huge. I wonder how many seniors get to even attempt that feat?
I'm really hoping Johnson and Caupain hand down the 2nd longest home win streak in the country. Would be a hell of a mark to leave. No season ticket holder seeing a single loss all season? Can't beat that.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #40
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Sad to see you've bought into the fake news
I don't really care that much about the topic but I'd have a hard time believing they never do it.