Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #71
2bearcatdad

2bearcatdad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Let me rephrase, anything that matters to me. He has won 1 conference regular season championship (tied for 1st) and zero conference tournaments. We have (1) sweet 16 appearance. So in actuality it isn't fair for me to say that he hasn't won anything, but IMO he definitely hasn't won enough.

He's clearly not he worst coach in the world and I think in the last few years he's made some great strides in recruiting. This season was a huge success IMO opinion but not winning the conference with this team is a let down. We were right there and we couldn't close it out and the recent trends in this team's play are cause for concern. I'm very excited about next year's team BTW and I have big expectations for what they can achieve. I just think there is a lot of room for improvement with coach and simply wanting more out of this program doesn't make someone a "Mick hater".

Mick's comments sounded like whining and excuses to me and I'm of the mindset that he has yet to deliver this program to it's full potential. I find it frustrating that Mick has tendency to always talk about how the deck is stacked against him rather than just get the job done and win championships. That was the reason for my thread.
Good post. I agree with essentially all of this (with the exception to the whining - Mick complains about things sometimes, but I don't think he's a chronic whiner).
2bearcatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 AM   #72
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
Let me rephrase, anything that matters to me. He has won 1 conference regular season championship (tied for 1st) and zero conference tournaments. We have (1) sweet 16 appearance. So in actuality it isn't fair for me to say that he hasn't won anything, but IMO he definitely hasn't won enough.

He's clearly not he worst coach in the world and I think in the last few years he's made some great strides in recruiting. This season was a huge success IMO opinion but not winning the conference with this team is a let down. We were right there and we couldn't close it out and the recent trends in this team's play are cause for concern. I'm very excited about next year's team BTW and I have big expectations for what they can achieve. I just think there is a lot of room for improvement with coach and simply wanting more out of this program doesn't make someone a "Mick hater".

Mick's comments sounded like whining and excuses to me and I'm of the mindset that he has yet to deliver this program to it's full potential. I find it frustrating that Mick has tendency to always talk about how the deck is stacked against him rather than just get the job done and win championships. That was the reason for my thread.
If we go 16-2 in conference (very possible at this point) and end up in 2nd because SMU went 17-1, you kind of just have to tip your cap. Sure, winning the conference is nice, but does it really matter *that* much? 16-2 in conference would leave me very little to complain about. We've done our part. I wouldn't feel "let down" at all.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #73
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
We aren't talking about making a 1 seed a 7 seed, I (and mick) were talking about moving a team 1 seed line. If you don't believe they do this, okay. I can't prove it, but if you think the ncaa is ethical or worried about being ethical, that's a whole other issue
Thinking the tournament committee is ethical is not the same thing as thinking the NCAA is ethical.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
See this is just crazy and hurts your argument. You can debate how much you would like to have...but not that you haven't gotten anything. The reason you are probably met with so much adversity is that you don't acknowledge what he has achieved...so that you can point out what he hasn't.
We are teetering on the brink of the next level.

Worst case we have been to the dance 7 years in a row. We have the second longest win streak in the country at home. THAT IS SOMETHING!!

Now...we can all debate about wanting more (and so do I) but that can't take away what HAS been accomplished. We have one of the better coaches in the country...but we want the best. Can he do that? IDK but it took some great coaches pretty long to figure it out (Calhoun, Boheim). We seem to be on the track of getting better this year and by most arguments will only get better next.

I wonder how many debates those other coaches generated and how many they do now? I don't know exactly what we have now...but it's certainly not bad by any stretch. The only question remains is can he achieve next level stuff. I am on the fence until he can...but I can't ignore what he has done.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:02 PM   #75
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bearcatdad View Post
Good post. I agree with essentially all of this (with the exception to the whining - Mick complains about things sometimes, but I don't think he's a chronic whiner).
I think mick whines, but they all do. Coach k is the worst at it and he is doing ok. I don't think its a big deal but sometimes is annoying
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:05 PM   #76
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
If we go 16-2 in conference (very possible at this point) and end up in 2nd because SMU went 17-1, you kind of just have to tip your cap. Sure, winning the conference is nice, but does it really matter *that* much? 16-2 in conference would leave me very little to complain about. We've done our part. I wouldn't feel "let down" at all.
It doesn't matter if you are winning other things but we are not. My only thing is, if you want to take that next step and be a program that they want in the Maui or a program that gets respect, you have to win something
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
It doesn't matter if you are winning other things but we are not. My only thing is, if you want to take that next step and be a program that they want in the Maui or a program that gets respect, you have to win something
I agree...but so far we have done a pretty good job this year. If we can run out and we lose the conference to an SMU team that runs the table and ends up top 10 I can't complain much. Who would have expected that?

SMU coach deserves coach of the year! If we end up 2nd with two losses I will be very happy about our performance! Every year there is an excuse I guess. We have had eventual NCAA champs in our conference as well...playing at home in conference tourney.

Those are two of the 4 years. I would have liked to take care of business in the other two years...but playing UConn at home in the tourney is not our fault either. Edit...well I guess it could be...lol!

Last edited by waterhead; 03-02-2017 at 12:23 PM.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #78
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
Yeah I agree. I'm all about winning the conference and winning home games. At the beginning of the year if you would've told me we could have a real shot at 18-0 at home and 16-2 in AAC, I would've taken that no questions asked.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #79
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Can't speak for NTS, but no I do not think they "rig" it or consider narratives or stories for matchups. If they did, it'd be a massive scandal and a huge deal and bad for business if it ever leaked.

The committee changes members all the time (not sure how often though) and if this ACTUALLY happened there wouldve probably been a smoking gun leak by now with the constant changing group. Someone would talk. Guaranteed.

They do consider geography and other principles referenced earlier. I don't agree with the methods the committee uses and I often disagree with their conclusions, but I don't think they are unethical and lying with regards to how the bracket is created.
Exactly. If you disagree with the methodology (in terms of seeding/locations) then fine, but they are just following the bracketing procedures. They changed the rules in 2002 that created the "protected seeds" (so top 4 seeds in each region are protected from a home court disadvantage in the first round).

I think most people don't actually follow or understand how the bracketing happens but seem to have no problem commenting on what they consider "oddities." If Mick is so confident in his claims, take them to court and see what happens? There isn't enough evidence to make that claim which is why no one ever will.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #80
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Never thought there'd come a point in time where I was actually defending the NCAA...well done Mick.
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote