Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #711
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
15 seed, 22 point lead with under 11 min vs a 7 seed, an 11 seed, and a 9 seed and we could've made a Final 4.
Seeds have been shown to be completely irrelevant this year. I think we knew it was as wide open as it's been in a while but this is nuts.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #712
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
I just want to thank everyone for helping me work through my emotions with this loss. I love this board. I did not play basketball and I have learned so much from reading the posts. I think the vast majority of the posters are knowledgeable and appropriately respectful of contrary views. I also appreciate the moderators helping us to keep the right perspective from time to time. Wherever we stand as a program and that is debatable, we are definitely top 10 as a fan base. Keep it up.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #713
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
I just want to thank everyone for helping me work through my emotions with this loss. I love this board. I did not play basketball and I have learned so much from reading the posts. I think the vast majority of the posters are knowledgeable and appropriately respectful of contrary views. I also appreciate the moderators helping us to keep the right perspective from time to time. Wherever we stand as a program and that is debatable, we are definitely top 10 as a fan base. Keep it up.
nice post
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #714
Defense first

Defense first is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Seeds have been shown to be completely irrelevant this year. I think we knew it was as wide open as it's been in a while but this is nuts.
Not going into to much, but we get players who are willing to come here, that Cronin feels will add something to the team. It's slim pickings for teams outside the power 5 conferences. Cronin is big on size and athleticism. That's what had gotten us to the dance, just need some star players to join the fray. Out development has been great compared to the players we get. In the tournament you have to have guys who can shoot and dribble drive. We had a good squad as a collective bunch, just didn't have the players that are great in one on one situation. Cane needs to move to the shooting guard spot. But if he doesn't play this year as the point guard, whose minutes would if he taken, not Cumberland and not Evans. I'm not a coach hater, actually love everything about him besides the tournament achievements. But it's time to get with the new reality, don't need two bigs, need 4 guards and a big. Need to teach defense to offensive players and not the opposite way around. Evans and Clark had the potential, just not the instinct. I think cane having more opportunity this year in his perspective role will step up bigger. Need some higher talent players though. Transfer it up or however,j just get them. Our best tournament succuss came when we had 4 guards, that's wasn't on accident, that's because it's easier to score, the Lane doesn't get clogged up, and usually there are more options offensively. Defense doesn't win championships anymore, offense does. Cronin will all ways have effort from his players, get the offense fixed now.

Last edited by Defense first; 03-23-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Defense first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #715
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense first View Post
Not going into to much, but we get players who are willing to come here, that Cronin feels will add something to the team. It's slim pickings for teams outside the power 5 conferences. Cronin is big on size and athleticism. That's what had gotten us to the dance, just need some star players to join the fray. Out development has been great compared to the players we get. In the tournament you have to have guys who can shoot and dribble drive. We had a good squad as a collective bunch, just didn't have the players that are great in one on one situation. Cane needs to move to the shooting guard spot. But if he doesn't play this year as the point guard, whose minutes would if he taken, not Cumberland and not Evans. I'm not a coach hater, actually love everything about him besides the tournament achievements. But it's time to get with the new reality, don't need two bigs, need 4 guards and a big. Need to teach defense to offensive players and not the opposite way around. Evans and Clark had the potential, just not the instinct. I think cane having more opportunity this year in his perspective role will step up bigger. Need some higher talent players though. Transfer it up or however,j just get them. Our best tournament succuss came when we had 4 guards, that's wasn't on accident, that's because it's easier to score, the Lane doesn't get clogged up, and usually there are more options offensively. Defense doesn't win championships anymore, offense does. Cronin will all ways have effort from his players, get the offense fixed now.
This is probably the only reason I still have some hope for next year if Evans stays. We have some good guards. We can't clog the paint for them with guys who can't score there. If we do put in 2 bigs...we are going to need something from Diarra from the outside. I don't have high hopes for Scott from a shooting perspective. Brooks is average at paint scoring. Williams is going to be key IMO to see if we can run with 4 guards. I don't think we can run with Cane and Justin on the court for too long because they are under sized.

If Scott really works on shooting...it would be a big help next year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:23 PM   #716
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Ok.....so I've avoided all things Bearcats and basketball for the past week and a half. I'm not reading through these threads and don't want to. I'm still in utter shock at the loss. Especially witnessing it in person. And knowing the easy draw the next two rounds I really feel we should've breezed to the final four. But I need to vent to my fellow Bearcats....

I knew Nevada was a good team and had we lost a close game throughout I might feel different, but to lose a game where we dominated and just completely fell apart? I just have no words. I know everyone blames Mick and I get it, but reality was we missed point blank shot after point blank shot. Bunnies, put backs, everything. And the refs just completely swallowed their whistles the last 12 minutes of the game on Nevada. That makes me more mad than anything. They actually had more technicals called on them than personal fouls the last 12-13 minutes.... I mean seriously. But our second ranked defense they had no problem calling fouls on.... and fouling guys out..... and off the ball bullshit..... And no one can make a basket... complete and utter self destruction. I'm really starting to think we're just cursed. Only way to make sense of what happened. The ONLY saving grace in all of this was Xavier lost too. Like....if we had to lose like that and watch f.ing Xavier make a final four or even championship game run, I might be on suicide watch. I guess I'm too invested in these games. I don't know that I can make another tourney trip. It took me a week to recover from losing sleep from driving home after the game and having to be at work 3 hours after I got home. And for what? Witnessing what can only be described as fate imploding against you. We play that game 100 more times with a 22 point lead and everything clicking with 12 minutes to go and we win all 100. I guarantee it.... but not in the second round of the tournament. No.... we're cursed. I'm cursed. My freshman year was 96-97, the Iowa State 2nd round loss. Like, I don't really believe in voodoo, but.... I think I personally must be cursing the team. That was the start of all the second round exits.

So I'm coming off the ledge and trying to cope with the fact that we had a really great year and the last two years have been really fun. Even losing to UCLA last year was ok, cause they were a better team and we gave them our best shot. I said it earlier in the year and I'll say it now. It's sad and unfair when the success of your season hinges on one game the first weekend of the tourney. Lose and it's an early exit and you have nothing to show for it. Win and you've made the sweet sixteen and accomplished something. One game. ONE GAME. One you can't control. Even with a 22 point domination on your back. And we blame coach, but I blame the players more. Or my own curse... I mean that's really the only thing that makes sense isn't it?

Onto next year. Have no choice. At least Mack is gone and maybe Xavier can regress a little. I mean I hope. This is going to be a long, uncomfortable offseason. I hope I can get my joy and hopes back for next season, cause I'm really starting to believe in a curse I don't believe in...

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 03-28-2018 at 02:36 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 04:00 PM   #717
Garybearcat

Garybearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Ok.....so I've avoided all things Bearcats and basketball for the past week and a half. I'm not reading through these threads and don't want to. I'm still in utter shock at the loss. Especially witnessing it in person. And knowing the easy draw the next two rounds I really feel we should've breezed to the final four. But I need to vent to my fellow Bearcats....

I knew Nevada was a good team and had we lost a close game throughout I might feel different, but to lose a game where we dominated and just completely fell apart? I just have no words. I know everyone blames Mick and I get it, but reality was we missed point blank shot after point blank shot. Bunnies, put backs, everything. And the refs just completely swallowed their whistles the last 12 minutes of the game on Nevada. That makes me more mad than anything. They actually had more technicals called on them than personal fouls the last 12-13 minutes.... I mean seriously. But our second ranked defense they had no problem calling fouls on.... and fouling guys out..... and off the ball bullshit..... And no one can make a basket... complete and utter self destruction. I'm really starting to think we're just cursed. Only way to make sense of what happened. The ONLY saving grace in all of this was Xavier lost too. Like....if we had to lose like that and watch f.ing Xavier make a final four or even championship game run, I might be on suicide watch. I guess I'm too invested in these games. I don't know that I can make another tourney trip. It took me a week to recover from losing sleep from driving home after the game and having to be at work 3 hours after I got home. And for what? Witnessing what can only be described as fate imploding against you. We play that game 100 more times with a 22 point lead and everything clicking with 12 minutes to go and we win all 100. I guarantee it.... but not in the second round of the tournament. No.... we're cursed. I'm cursed. My freshman year was 96-97, the Iowa State 2nd round loss. Like, I don't really believe in voodoo, but.... I think I personally must be cursing the team. That was the start of all the second round exits.

So I'm coming off the ledge and trying to cope with the fact that we had a really great year and the last two years have been really fun. Even losing to UCLA last year was ok, cause they were a better team and we gave them our best shot. I said it earlier in the year and I'll say it now. It's sad and unfair when the success of your season hinges on one game the first weekend of the tourney. Lose and it's an early exit and you have nothing to show for it. Win and you've made the sweet sixteen and accomplished something. One game. ONE GAME. One you can't control. Even with a 22 point domination on your back. And we blame coach, but I blame the players more. Or my own curse... I mean that's really the only thing that makes sense isn't it?

Onto next year. Have no choice. At least Mack is gone and maybe Xavier can regress a little. I mean I hope. This is going to be a long, uncomfortable offseason. I hope I can get my joy and hopes back for next season, cause I'm really starting to believe in a curse I don't believe in...

Cheer up........... how do you think they felt in 1960. We just lost in final four for the second straight year without making the championship game. All with arguable the greatest college basketball player ever. I’m sure our fan base was feeling like we missed our only shot at an NCAA title. What the heck happened the next year we win it all. Then again in 62. Just missed another one in 63. I’m not saying we win it all next year or ten years from now, but if our team keeps plugging away and putting in the work I guarantee luck will find us. I was born March of 1962. When people ask me how long has it been since we won it all, it is an easy answer for me I just need to know my current age. I hope someday in my lifetime the answer to that question will be something different.

Last edited by Garybearcat; 03-28-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Garybearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:28 AM   #718
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I don't think this game hits the average fan as hard as the die hard fan. The casual fan will just wait for the next legit team we have to get excited again.

For the die hard fan this is a gut punch because it was our best chance BY FAR. It could take a while before we get a top 10 quality team. If our coach can't evolve on offense a little...it's hard to imagine a deep run without a dismantled bracket like we had this year.

I have to wonder if we have seen the ceiling for Cronin. My gut says yes...but I can only hope I am wrong. I think I am now in the "I'll believe it when I see it mode". That is a big step back for me as I consider myself an optimist.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:24 AM   #719
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I don't think this game hits the average fan as hard as the die hard fan. The casual fan will just wait for the next legit team we have to get excited again.

For the die hard fan this is a gut punch because it was our best chance BY FAR. It could take a while before we get a top 10 quality team. If our coach can't evolve on offense a little...it's hard to imagine a deep run without a dismantled bracket like we had this year.

I have to wonder if we have seen the ceiling for Cronin. My gut says yes...but I can only hope I am wrong. I think I am now in the "I'll believe it when I see it mode". That is a big step back for me as I consider myself an optimist.
Trust me, I get what youre saying but that's the beauty of the tournament, get in and anything can happen. People thought Michigan would not be good this year, Kansas State doesn't have some amazing team and ended up playing a 16 seed in the second round and getting to the elite 8. I mean you just never know what can happen that's what's so great about at least being competitive enough to always make the tourney. I know it hasn't happened for us but it will break one of these times.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:38 AM   #720
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
So 7 of 8 years without playing in the 2nd weekend and 11 out of 12 overall...

How many more years without a 2nd weekend appearance before some of you would move on? 2? 3? 5? Doesn't matter? I'm curious to see where everyone is at on that.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote