Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #101
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
If JJ plays like he did last night against UL, we are going to get destroyed inside. There were several times Blair drove around him. There were also several times Sykes drove in pulled JJ out and then passed to low block for layup/dunk.
I agree to an extent. I think the reason his D looked very poor at times is he was very worried about fouling. I'm sure Mick has been on him lately about not giving up fouls early in the game. To do that, his defense has to suffer a little. Can't just slide over and run into a guy trying to go around him. They'll call that a blocking foul every time.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #102
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BearcatNation View Post
I agree to an extent. I think the reason his D looked very poor at times is he was very worried about fouling. I'm sure Mick has been on him lately about not giving up fouls early in the game. To do that, his defense has to suffer a little. Can't just slide over and run into a guy trying to go around him. They'll call that a blocking foul every time.
I saw him talking to a referee in the second half and the ref showed him that he slid over and ran into him exactly as you are describing. If he is worried about fouling then he needs to get rid of the gimme's, the illegal screens are horrible, foul and turnover.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #103
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Guys I might point out that we out rebounded them 36-31. JJ did tie his career high in Blocks. My point is while JJ didn't lite up the board rebounding others did. Blocking shots at the rate he does sometimes can leave him out of position but if he is going to cover for there mistakes defensively by swatting away shots at the rim them crashing the boards isn't out of the question. As a team we boarded well.
Agreed, rebounding overall was pretty good. Then again, it didn't seem like UCF took many outside shots and those are the hardest to rebound. But, as for JJ's blocks, a lot of his blocks come from having to cover from his own mistakes. He had at least 3 of those last night, maybe more. Don't get me wrong, he has been great covering for others but I'd still prefer him to play good on the ball defense first, and then rely on the block if/when needed.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:22 AM   #104
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
Shouldn't be playing the 4? Hell, for the first three years everyone here thought he should be a 3. He hasn't been playing out of position lately, he just hasn't been playing as good as he is capable of playing.

And GG thinks he is a gunslinger. You could tell every time on offense he was just itching to get a 3 point shot off. You'd think with his percentages and the fact that he isn't even close on half of them that he'd stop and realize that maybe he should act like a PG.
I said he should play the four. But necessity drives what we have and the team is making the most of it.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #105
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I said he should play the four. But necessity drives what we have and the team is making the most of it.
My fault, misread you.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:25 AM   #106
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat jeff View Post
I disagree. Justin is a 5 in the system we want to run. And he has been great at it. We should have made him one earlier. We could have really used this version of Justin last year.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #107
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Guilty View Post
I disagree. Justin is a 5 in the system we want to run. And he has been great at it. We should have made him one earlier. We could have really used this version of Justin last year.
He should be on the low block or in the high post. Whether that means at a 4 or 5 doesn't really matter. Last year too much of his time was spent around the arc dribbling the ball and that is where he fails.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #108
ralph1950
Epic Member

ralph1950 will become famous soon enough
JJ, star of the game!
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM   #109
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
He should be on the low block or in the high post. Whether that means at a 4 or 5 doesn't really matter. Last year too much of his time was spent around the arc dribbling the ball and that is where he fails.
That was the system that Cronin had in place last year, the 4 out 1 in. Wanted JJ to be a wing player.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #110
Not Guilty
Elite Member

Not Guilty is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Agreed. And defensively, even though he is undersized, he protects the rim about as well as any big man in the country and uses his quickness to often deflect or steal balls from bigs that are trying to post him up.

I'm not sure there is a better combination of defensive big men in the country than Justin Jackson and Titus Rubles. Both can block shots (Titus' 4.3% block rate is solid. Justin's 14.6% block rate is absurd). Both create a lot of steals. And both have the lateral quickness to switch out on perimeter players if necessary, making it extremely difficult to run the pick and roll against us.
Not Guilty is offline   Reply With Quote