Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Mississippi State?
Yes 21 84.00%
No 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #321
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Its a performance driven world. No better place to learn it then in a sporting competition.

The thing that gets me is the generalizations used by some to make a point concerning how our coach handles his players.

First we have no idea how many times Mick and staff cautioned or instructed his team or player on what he pulled him for during game preparation. As example If Mick identified who the shooter was and told defenders not to leave him alone at the arc and said player did not close on the shooter giving up a clean open look then pulling him is not a issue.

We won by 15 points against a undefeated team. I don't think we ever trailed. We are still a work in progress. We have a tough game against UCLA out west that is a resume effecting game. Hope to take another step forward. Right now I am looking for some consistency. I see much room for improvement.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #322
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Much better game last night. Won wire to wire I believe.

Still was careless with the ball on occasion. Didn't really have a great night shooting.

Washington stepped up on offense. Gary ruled the glass and Evans I believe had his best overall game of the season. PG's were steady but not spectacular. The bench got some run but demonstrated that they are still a work n progress.

My big concern is Cumberland. He has been MIA most of the season. I don't know if it is because people have tape on him now or what but he looks lost and not very confident in his abilities. Without him providing some consistent scoring we may be in for a disappointing season. His lack of effectiveness is one reason I am not surprised Mick is running Broome at the wing on occasion. Whatever the reason I hope he finds his game. We need his offense badly.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #323
CHEER CINCY
Banned

CHEER CINCY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Play at Us Bank. The arena isn;t great but it has plenty of parking a a ton of entertainment options for before and after the game. And 20 minutes closer for the majority of fans that attend Bearcat basketball games.

Now - cost is obviously a factor...but I don't know what the cost delta was, and I also don;t know how hard it was to negotiate with US Bank.

But strictly basing this on fan experience, NKU is an awful choice. Poor traffic flow in...and out. Nothing near the stadium, might as well be in the middle of a cornfield. I've been going to games for a decent amount of time now (23 years total, 16 year season ticket holder) and this is the first time I actually start to dread all the nonsense around getting to and from the game. It's an awful experience.

Can't wait to be home again next year.
THIS. SPOT ON MY FRIEND. Having to arrive 1hr prior to tipoff to beat traffic only to have literally NOWHERE to grab a drink or bite to eat, its unbearable. Our PG play is better than the fan experience NKU provides
CHEER CINCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #324
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
THIS. SPOT ON MY FRIEND. Having to arrive 1hr prior to tipoff to beat traffic only to have literally NOWHERE to grab a drink or bite to eat, its unbearable. Our PG play is better than the fan experience NKU provides
Quite Honestly I have been giving my tickets away this year because of the venue. I love going to the UC campus and consider it part of the game experience. I just try to focus on how much better the game experience will be when the renovations are complete. In the mean time I sit in my recliner and watch the game and try to tune my wife out when she wants to talk Xmas shopping. Gosh I hope no one on here knows my wife. LOL!!! She thinks I'm actually listening to her.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 12-13-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #325
CHEER CINCY
Banned

CHEER CINCY is on a distinguished road
You and a ton of others obviously either giving tickets away or not using them at all. Place is half empty even when they announce a near sellout. Def not the homecourt advantage this team needs and the senior deserve. Its pains me to see Gary Clarks Senior year turning out like it is
CHEER CINCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #326
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEER CINCY View Post
You and a ton of others obviously either giving tickets away or not using them at all. Place is half empty even when they announce a near sellout. Def not the homecourt advantage this team needs and the senior deserve. Its pains me to see Gary Clarks Senior year turning out like it is
Couldn't agree more about Gary Clark he is one of my all time favorites.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #327
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post

Still was careless with the ball on occasion. Didn't really have a great night shooting.

Washington stepped up on offense. Gary ruled the glass and Evans I believe had his best overall game of the season. PG's were steady but not spectacular. The bench got some run but demonstrated that they are still a work n progress.

My big concern is Cumberland. He has been MIA most of the season. I don't know if it is because people have tape on him now or what but he looks lost and not very confident in his abilities. Without him providing some consistent scoring we may be in for a disappointing season. His lack of effectiveness is one reason I am not surprised Mick is running Broome at the wing on occasion. Whatever the reason I hope he finds his game. We need his offense badly.
Good sum up of the game. I think one thing hurting Cumberland, aside from his shot not falling, is he's been on the receiving end of a lot of questionable calls. I think because he's such a strong dude they don't call alot of fouls committed on him plus he gets called for charges when they weren't. Its like Lebron getting fouled every time in the post but becasue hes so big it doesnt get called half the time.
Unfortunately Cumberland isn't the finisher LeBron is lol
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM   #328
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Cumberland has been getting 30+ minutes because he does a lot of things right even when he is not hitting shots. He has that BB IQ fans talk about sometime. He can pass the ball pretty damn well. He can get the ball to the high or low post. Many of his fouls and turnovers come from aggression rather than stupidity. IE...Charges or traveling calls when he starts off too quick.

I think his scoring will come around. Not sure his demeanor is a lot different than last year...but it could be I guess. If his head wasn't in the game I would expect a lot more than just shooting woes. Dumb mistakes would increase as well.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #329
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

the variance from small sample sizes. he's probably not as good of a shooter as his numbers first indicated so he struggles in the half court. he's much better as a freight train in transition.

kinda slower feet from a set position so he has trouble getting open looks.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #330
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Cumberland has been getting 30+ minutes because he does a lot of things right even when he is not hitting shots. He has that BB IQ fans talk about sometime. He can pass the ball pretty damn well. He can get the ball to the high or low post. Many of his fouls and turnovers come from aggression rather than stupidity. IE...Charges or traveling calls when he starts off too quick.

I think his scoring will come around. Not sure his demeanor is a lot different than last year...but it could be I guess. If his head wasn't in the game I would expect a lot more than just shooting woes. Dumb mistakes would increase as well.
I watch him a lot on D...Cumberland. He doesn't have that quick athletic reaction time of a guy like KJ. But he does have the instinct to know where you are going before you get there so he doesn't have to react that much. His lateral quickness is not great but he knows cut off angles. He knows how and when to switch. His hands are always active. Even if you can get past him he can punch the ball out from behind or follow up with a block.

Even when he's not hitting shots he's a guy you need on the court. He understands the game.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote