Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 5+ 19 61.29%
UC wins by 1-4 6 19.35%
UCLA wins by 1-4 0 0%
UCLA wins by 5+ 6 19.35%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #481
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
If you guys are reading anything I've said as though it was said like something LT would say then you're going way too far in how you interpret things.

but thats a you problem. thats not a board problem.
ill take you at your word. But when you start throwing things around like Mick is unfair and playing mind games your going to get a backlash. Your reasoning is faulty and your comment irresponsible. You may differ in his method but he is not playing mind games.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #482
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
gotta say its the first time i've ever been called a mick basher. those guys used to make fun of me because i was one of cronins strongest defenders on this very site.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #483
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
gotta say its the first time i've ever been called a mick basher. those guys used to make fun of me because i was one of cronins strongest defenders on this very site.
one thing you may want to consider about Kyle.

The last two games he played were maybe his best as a bearcat. He may have had others where his stats were a bit better but coming off two tough losses and possibly our season hanging in the balance he really stepped up. Now what you call mind games I call motivating. He stepped up. Coaches have to not only know X's and O's but what buttons to push for each player. And you know what? They are not always the same for every player. Whatever Mick did or said, Kyle responded positively. To have the season we all want Kyle needs to continue to play well. My issue with you is you bashed the coach as playing mind games to justify your position because you disagreed with his methods of coaching or his use of his players.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #484
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised to see this thread turning into this. Let's just pump the brakes.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #485
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm surprised to see this thread turning into this. Let's just pump the brakes.
I'm for that. We had a big win Saturday and the team really looks to be getting better. If you look at the post you would have thought we lost and our coach is dumber then a rock for the way he utilizes his players.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:58 PM   #486
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
what upsets Mick with Kyle is mostly his defense. Being out of position or creating bad fouls. He does force his shot at times which leads to turn overs but I really believe it's his defense that gets him in trouble. What you have to understand is coaches have game preparation prior to games. If they set up their game plan and coach it over and over again and in the game the player has not done as instructed that is going to get him pulled. I feel that is what happens to Kyle. He really free lances a lot defensively which drives Mick crazy.

As for Broome it's a matter of his versatility. With Cumberland struggling at times and until recently none of our young wings have really demonstrated a ability to play quality minutes ( Williams may be changing that perception) he likes having Broome ability to play both PG and wing and use him at either in the flow of the game. Plus while we are not walking the ball up the floor we are not turning and burning with every possession. Broome is adjusting to the style and competition. He is doing very well.

My issue with him is he makes it sound like a conspiracy. We are playing well and it's a tribute to both coach and player. We are rounding into a very good team who can do some damage at the end of the year. Coach is not playing mind games. He is motivating. And guess what it is working.
Yeah I agree I don't thinks it's some conspiracy lol. I think mick is doing what he thinks right, I think what he though was right was actually wrong though, and maybe he is starting to notice it. But like you said we are playing great ball all around the last couple games, especially UCLA and o see that more as a sign of what's to come then a fluke or anything like that
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:05 PM   #487
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
Washington has shot us out of as many games as he won for us. And ignoring Jenifer and Brooks, with Washington's tunnel vision taking him out may be the smart play just because it means someone else is likely to shoot on the next possession. When Washington is on, he is great. When he is off, god is he bad and those are the games when Brooks becomes the better option.

In our losses since Washington has been here:

Florida: 4-8
Xavier: 0-4
UCLA: 2-10
SMU: 5-7
UCF: 3-11
SMU: 4-11
Butler: 2-8 (and he was particularly terrible this game)
URI: 8-15

He is completely one dimensional and kills the offense when his shot isn't falling. I don't want to turn this into a Washington thread because we need him to make any noise in the tournament, but if you can't see how he kills the team in some games I don't know what else to say.
This is a joke dude, first off 3 of the 8 he shot at least 50%, 2 of the other games were just kind of bad, and the other 3 were bad. Not really see how we were so dependent on him. We are deep enoug anyone could pick up the slack. What were our team percentages in those games, you can't just cherry pick to make your point, you need context. And I'm the first to agree Washington can struggle and even when his shot is off he still isn't afraid to put it up, that can be a bad and a good thing. But in no way, not even a little, would I ever call this team dependent on just his performance.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #488
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
This is a joke dude, first off 3 of the 8 he shot at least 50%, 2 of the other games were just kind of bad, and the other 3 were bad. Not really see how we were so dependent on him. We are deep enoug anyone could pick up the slack. What were our team percentages in those games, you can't just cherry pick to make your point, you need context. And I'm the first to agree Washington can struggle and even when his shot is off he still isn't afraid to put it up, that can be a bad and a good thing. But in no way, not even a little, would I ever call this team dependent on just his performance.
I think we agree with each other. My post was in response to someone saying Mick is picking on him and playing mind games. You will see in my other posts in this thread that part of what I was getting at is he is a very one dimensional player. If he isn't scoring he isn't doing much of anything.

I think of all the guys on the team Washington needs the most "mental" coaching and typically responds very well to it. But what I was getting at is on the games where Washington is playing poorly, he doesn't stop jacking up his shot which can kill us. I'd rather have Brooks in knowing he is only supposed to play defense and dunk with Evans/Broome/Cumberland/Gary taking possessions than Washington jacking up 25 footers. In the games Washington has lost, he has 0 assists. That was my point.
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:25 PM   #489
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
do you really think thats whats being said here?

you wonder out loud why mick has been all over kyle for every mistake this year (and wasn't last year) and this is the response from people? i just dont even understand.
Where in the hell were you last year? There is literally nothing different from Kyle, coach, or fans.

Actually there is something noticeably different. Coach has been praising Kyle for being be a fantastic leader from day one of the season and has not changed his tune whatsoever.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:47 PM   #490
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
I think we agree with each other. My post was in response to someone saying Mick is picking on him and playing mind games. You will see in my other posts in this thread that part of what I was getting at is he is a very one dimensional player. If he isn't scoring he isn't doing much of anything.

I think of all the guys on the team Washington needs the most "mental" coaching and typically responds very well to it. But what I was getting at is on the games where Washington is playing poorly, he doesn't stop jacking up his shot which can kill us. I'd rather have Brooks in knowing he is only supposed to play defense and dunk with Evans/Broome/Cumberland/Gary taking possessions than Washington jacking up 25 footers. In the games Washington has lost, he has 0 assists. That was my point.
If Brooks was great on D we might have a conspiracy...but he's not...and we don't. I wish we did...but I don't think it's even close. Kyle by a mile IMO. Warts and all.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote