Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: Will UC beat Florida?
Yes 22 56.41%
No 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 AM   #11
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal070508 View Post
I agree. To much down time between games.
if they only played 2 games this week, then yea I'd agree, advantage would be to them.

But UC just got punked and we get 6 days to think about how shitty we played and try to correct it.

Florida has to spend time going over Florida State, then playing Wednesday then playing on Saturday. And they cant just over look Loyola Chicago who is a top 100 team. Because they are playing 3 games in 1 week, the NCAA allows them to Skip the day off but it also means they don't get a ton of recovery time. They also will have to travel on Friday.

IF they get 2 really intense fast paced games, it could help UC.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #12
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
if they only played 2 games this week, then yea I'd agree, advantage would be to them.

But UC just got punked and we get 6 days to think about how shitty we played and try to correct it.

thinking is the last thing our guys need to do. they just need to play. only way to get past it is to play.

and these are college kids in their athletic prime, 3 games in a week is nothing to them. they get 2 days of rest before us anyway, so with the 3 games they aren't even pulling 2 games in 3 days vs us.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I would like to motion that we add a couple of options to the poll. How about "I'm not sure"....or "We better win"...LOL!

I am not instilled with a lot of confidence after last game but I think we did see a couple of things that could help going forward. And we now have our gut check moment.

It looked to me like Cane could be a player who might flourish in bigger games. He looked more comfortable against X than he has all season. Maybe it was because we were in come back mode all game...who knows. I was a little worried early in the season about letting Cane "run wild"...but he looked damn good at it. When he gets in the flow...he can change a game.

Going from last year (point guard) being extremely structured on offense with ball control to just going into "street mode" (for lack of a better analogy) raises a lot of questions. However, I think in the tourney, it may be more of what we need. Watching BJ Taylor destroy us last year on his own was eye opening. On defense we had no answer for him.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
It looked to me like Cane could be a player who might flourish in bigger games. He looked more comfortable against X than he has all season. Maybe it was because we were in come back mode all game...who knows. I was a little worried early in the season about letting Cane "run wild"...but he looked damn good at it. When he gets in the flow...he can change a game.
at the red and black scrimmage you could see how he handles himself. he's laid back but there is a cockiness to him and i dont mean that in a bad way.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #15
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:

Going from last year (point guard) being extremely structured on offense with ball control to just going into "street mode" (for lack of a better analogy) raises a lot of questions. However, I think in the tourney, it may be more of what we need. Watching BJ Taylor destroy us last year on his own was eye opening. On defense we had no answer for him.

yeah look at the teams that give us fits. usually have a pg that we can't stay in front of. it forces help and then opens up everything else. and if the help doesn't come quick enough the guy is laying it in.

but our spacing in general must be better. 2 guys down low makes it harder on cane. more traffic to get through and more help defenders. xavier was able to triple team gary because we dont give ourselves enough space to make them pay for it. look how much room xavier makes us defend vs how much we make them defend.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
yeah look at the teams that give us fits. usually have a pg that we can't stay in front of. it forces help and then opens up everything else. and if the help doesn't come quick enough the guy is laying it in.

but our spacing in general must be better. 2 guys down low makes it harder on cane. more traffic to get through and more help defenders. xavier was able to triple team gary because we dont give ourselves enough space to make them pay for it. look how much room xavier makes us defend vs how much we make them defend.
I think spreading the floor is a good thing even though we can win some games by pounding it down low. However, if we need to, we can let Kyle or Gary draw a big defender out of the lane...because they can both make a 3 if necessary. We need to make adjustments in game. Go with the hot hand. That can be low post scoring, 3 point shooting, or guard penetration. If we are getting frustrated getting the ball on the block...then bring one of the bigs out and let the guards go to work.

Last edited by waterhead; 12-04-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:47 AM   #17
spinal070508

spinal070508 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

Florida has to spend time going over Florida State, then playing Wednesday then playing on Saturday. And they cant just over look Loyola Chicago who is a top 100 team. Because they are playing 3 games in 1 week, the NCAA allows them to Skip the day off but it also means they don't get a ton of recovery time. They also will have to travel on Friday.

IF they get 2 really intense fast paced games, it could help UC.

They had a week to prepare for the shootout and looked lost out there. Its not like they had to fly to jersey. They had a 5 minute drive down the street.

Washington couldn't handle Kanter who was also shooting at a very low percentage before Saturday. What makes you think he will be able to guard his guy this coming Saturday? The early season schedule has done them a great disservice.
spinal070508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #18
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I think spreading the floor is a good thing even though we can win some games by pounding it down low. However, if we need to, we can let Kyle or Gary draw a big defender out of the lane...because they can both make a 3 if necessary. We need to make adjustments in game. Go with the hot hand. That can be low post scoring, 3 point shooting, or guard penetration. If we are getting frustrated getting the ball on the block...then bring one of the bigs out and let the guards go to work.
as great as gary clark is, he's not danny fortson. it didn't matter how many people tried to defend danny, he scored when he wanted. gary is not that guy.

and you can still isolate one of the bigs down low and get the other one out. xavier does a great job of getting their bigs 1v1 down low, look at the shooting % of all their bigs jones at 70%, kanter at 70%, omara at 72%.

im sure all of us will take gary and kyle 1v1 vs anybody. we have the shooters on the outside, teams shouldn't be able to double and triple team them all game. something has to get figured out.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #19
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinal070508 View Post
They had a week to prepare for the shootout and looked lost out there. Its not like they had to fly to jersey. They had a 5 minute drive down the street.

Washington couldn't handle Kanter who was also shooting at a very low percentage before Saturday. What makes you think he will be able to guard his guy this coming Saturday? The early season schedule has done them a great disservice.
If our guys were surprised in this game in any way because they were playing patsies so far...then we have much bigger problems. The starters have all been in big games for the most part. They knew it was going to be a "war" out there.

I don't think you need a practice war to win a war. A good general can win either way. I hate using the war terminology because I think it's a disservice to our military and situations that are exponentially much tougher than a freaking basketball game. But it is an analogy that gets used in sports a lot so I use it very lightly and with the utmost respect.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:01 PM   #20
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
as great as gary clark is, he's not danny fortson. it didn't matter how many people tried to defend danny, he scored when he wanted. gary is not that guy.

and you can still isolate one of the bigs down low and get the other one out. xavier does a great job of getting their bigs 1v1 down low, look at the shooting % of all their bigs jones at 70%, kanter at 70%, omara at 72%.

im sure all of us will take gary and kyle 1v1 vs anybody. we have the shooters on the outside, teams shouldn't be able to double and triple team them all game. something has to get figured out.
He is not Danny F...but he is a great decision maker! If he gets the ball in the paint I trust him to figure out if he can score or if he needs to distribute the ball. You cannot underestimate that as an asset to this team.