Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Blogs, News, and More > Help, Feedback & Suggestions

Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #1
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Site Announcement

I have spoken with several moderators over the past couple days. While they agree and support the idea of cleaning things up, they simply don't see how it can be done without banning people. Based on how things continued yesterday after we thought the worst had passed, I absolutely agree with them. We have also received countless PMs from good members not liking what most of these threads are turning into. So instead of hearing my voice all the time, asking this to stop...we will now go straight to handing out bans. No more begging and pleading with people to be civil. So no one is getting banned this second, but 1 week bans will start being handed out regularly on a majority-vote moderator decision.

#BearcatNation, you say your post wasn't all that condescending? C'mon, you're a good dude. You know what you were doing. And so do LongHaul, HoosierCat jds513 and others. Tearing others down isn't going to work as the popular and accepted way of conducting yourself on this site. And for the record, I wasn't any better yesterday bc I was getting involved in that conversation as well. So add me to the list.

We are getting rid of what people have become so comfortable with, which is the idea that it is OK to sign on here with the intention of ripping someone else down. That has become some members' entire identity on this site. "I'm going to go log on to BearcatTalk and talk some crap on this guy I don't like." Then those very people call for others to get banned. The moderators on this site do not support that. Targeting people, ripping on people, and not having the self-control to ignore people, will not get results here.

Now, it is very obvious that a lot of this has been directed at the interactions with bulldog. So bulldog, you have to help yourself too. Many people have brought up the idea that if we can't rip each other, we can't rip players and coaches either. That one is a little tougher to define, but mods and members alike have agreed that you tend to go too far with your criticisms. General, generic statements and complaints are one thing, but when you make it personal towards certain players, it is impossible to ask fellow die-hard fans to not tell you to back off. You have to know when you're saying something that will cause a big negative reaction. So while in no way are the responses thrown at you acceptable, we just ask that you help yourself too by toning down on the name calling of our players and coaches in the program. It isn't constructive. If you want to call for Cobb to get quicker bc he doesn't get enough open looks, that's fine. We can have a conversation about that. But calling Caupain garbage? No place for that.

I just want everyone to know that we are listening. It has bern tougher without Jeff around lately, no doubt. But all the other mods have stepped up and weighed in on how they see things going from here. We decided to lay things out in a clear way, so no one has questions about what is and isn't OK. If someone does something that you deem a ban-able offense, please report the post or PM a mod and we will get together to come to a decision. Simply jumping into a thread creates chaos. Again, I personally am just as bad at this as anyone else. It leads to angry members and trashed threads. We have great people here with a ton of knowledge. Let's share our thoughts and hopes for the Bearcats in the best way possible.

Thanks so much for hearing us out. Let any of us know if you have anything else you'd like to add. We can be reached by PM at:

jacobkdoyle
bearcat Jeff
the_one_32
JasonS
Bearcat Rob
adrock

Thanks again!

Last edited by jacobkdoyle; 03-25-2015 at 09:21 AM.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Is there any kind of policy regarding posters with multiple screen names? j/k.

I 100% support and applaud all efforts to eliminate the personal attacks on this site. Thanks for your efforts. We're all Bearcats and we all want the same results for this program. But, we all have different opinions on how to get those results. Nobody should be called names and attacked for their opinions, no matter how bizarre the opinions seem.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
I appreciate what you mods do. Things can get intense, but like LT said, in the end, we're all rooting for the same team wanting to see success. Thanks for doing your best to keep everything civil (no matter how impossible that may seem haha).
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #4
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Is there any kind of policy regarding posters with multiple screen names? j/k.

I 100% support and applaud all efforts to eliminate the personal attacks on this site. Thanks for your efforts. We're all Bearcats and we all want the same results for this program. But, we all have different opinions on how to get those results. Nobody should be called names and attacked for their opinions, no matter how bizarre the opinions seem.
If you believe someone has multiple user IDs, please let me know. I can check the IP addresses and determine if the usernames are the same person. Send me a PM with the user names you feel are the same person. Thanks.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #5
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
If you believe someone has multiple user IDs, please let me know. I can check the IP addresses and determine if the usernames are the same person. Send me a PM with the user names you feel are the same person. Thanks.
There's this guy named KJ's #1 Supporter......

Ok, before I get Jacob banned, I was just kidding Jason.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
There's this guy named KJ's #1 Supporter......

Ok, before I get Jacob banned, I was just kidding Jason.
I know about this one. LOL

We do run into issues from time to time with people trying to skirt a ban by creating a new username. That was more my reference. Thanks though.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
BCM
Epic Member

BCM is an unknown quantity at this point
Sockpuppeting is far worse than a joke, haha.
BCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
I will be more involved like I used to be if anyone has any questions or concerns im available.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman has been banned for a week. If you want to know more, please PM one of the mods.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 AM   #10
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

This is what everyone read when they registered their account. I'll leave it here as a reference.

Forum Rules

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.
Although the administrators and moderators of BearcatTalk.com will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of BearcatTalk.com, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.
By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.
The owners of BearcatTalk.com reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.