Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #91
KJ's#1Supporter

KJ's#1Supporter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Is 11-13to per game a major issue?
I would've guessed we averaged more on the season. 11 is fine with me...we did go 6-2 in those games with losses at the buzzer and to Kentucky. So I can definitely live with that. We just can't have the spikes...like against Nebraska we had 18, we had 35 in the 2 game skid against UConn and Memphis, and 33 in the 2 games against Temple and Tulane.

I think those season numbers don't look too bad as the total # bc of lower possession games, but cincrulz has talked about our TO% before, and it was not good.
KJ's#1Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #92
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog01 View Post
Is 11-13to per game a major issue?
it is when you average less than 60 possessions a game. 21% turnover rate was 298th in the country.

edit: to show how big the gap is, Wisconsin has the best turnover rate and that was 12.3%.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #93
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
it is when you average less than 60 possessions a game. 21% turnover rate was 298th in the country.

edit: to show how big the gap is, Wisconsin has the best turnover rate and that was 12.3%.
^ That! raw numbers are often meaningless. Five turnovers is awesome....unless they come on ten possessions.

Cutting down on to's is the number one task this team needs to accomplish. You cannot be an elite program if you turn the ball over one out of every five possessions.
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #94
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwaver View Post
Cutting down on to's is the number one task this team needs to accomplish. You cannot be an elite program if you turn the ball over one out of every five possessions.

I'm hoping this year was just because everybody was so new. Caupain was nearly the same his 2 years (22.2 as a freshman to 22.7 this year) but Shaq had a huge increase in TORate (16.7 to 22.2). KJ went from 16.0 to 24.9, which is an absolutely absurd number.

We know Ellis is terrible with the ball (23.8 TORate) but Cobb and Clark were both decent in their TORate (14.9 for Cobb and 15.1 for Clark).

Hopefully better spacing and a better understanding of where their teammates are will help them. There's also no way Ellis can be that bad again right?
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #95
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
I believe UC will win 25-26 regular season games and be a Sweet 16 team as well as conference champion.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #96
KJ's#1Supporter

We are 4-5 in the NCAA Tournament in Mick's time. Will that record be over .500 next year? I say it'll be 7-6.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #97
KJ's#1Supporter

Can Cobb get Honorable Mention All-Conference? I think he needs to take 10+ shots in every conference game. We don't have a ton of players who look to be volume shooters but it is nice to have a guy like Cobb to ride his hot hand at times. Vaughn, Stephenson, Cash and SK I think have been the least reluctant to shoot players we've had under Mick. Cobb needs to join that group of guys not afraid to fire. You could tell he wanted to shoot a few times vs Kentucky but just didn't find enough space to pull the trigger. He needs to continue to expand on his shot making ability at every level. I'd love it if he averaged close to 12 ppg.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 PM   #98
Bulldog01
Banned

Bulldog01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ's#1Supporter View Post
Can Cobb get Honorable Mention All-Conference? I think he needs to take 10+ shots in every conference game. We don't have a ton of players who look to be volume shooters but it is nice to have a guy like Cobb to ride his hot hand at times. Vaughn, Stephenson, Cash and SK I think have been the least reluctant to shoot players we've had under Mick. Cobb needs to join that group of guys not afraid to fire. You could tell he wanted to shoot a few times vs Kentucky but just didn't find enough space to pull the trigger. He needs to continue to expand on his shot making ability at every level. I'd love it if he averaged close to 12 ppg.
Cobb needs to work on his handles and get a little stronger
Bulldog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #99
CincyForLife6

CincyForLife6 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ's#1Supporter View Post
We are 4-5 in the NCAA Tournament in Mick's time. Will that record be over .500 next year? I say it'll be 7-6.
How about 10-5?
CincyForLife6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #100
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I'm hoping this year was just because everybody was so new. Caupain was nearly the same his 2 years (22.2 as a freshman to 22.7 this year) but Shaq had a huge increase in TORate (16.7 to 22.2). KJ went from 16.0 to 24.9, which is an absolutely absurd number.

We know Ellis is terrible with the ball (23.8 TORate) but Cobb and Clark were both decent in their TORate (14.9 for Cobb and 15.1 for Clark).

Hopefully better spacing and a better understanding of where their teammates are will help them. There's also no way Ellis can be that bad again right?
I honestly think TC should be playing the 2 guard. I think his TO rate would go way down. He does not have the handles to play PG at the level we need a PG to play. He dribbles way to high and is a little too slow to break his man or the D down off the dribble. He's long and is a good passer so he gets away with having average handles for a PG. When he does get past his man going to the bucket he's pretty good at using his body in the lane.

I really hope Jenifer is the real deal at PG (I think he is or will be). That would solve 2 problems at the same time. If Evans can shoot and is a capable slasher it solves 2 more problems.

I know that is a lot riding on the frosh...but a fan can dream right? I'm not even sure if the coaches would consider moving Troy to the 2 guard but I think if Jenifer is ready the team might perform better in that type of lineup
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote