Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #111
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
I'm shocked that Kiel isn't the starter. I'd have thought all the talk about him being 3rd string early on was just nonsense aimed at lighting a fire under him. Maybe it didn't? Maybe the coaches don't see something in him they need to be seeing?

IMO Kiel should be the starter, you're talking about a guy who set the all time record for TD passes by a UC QB 2 years ago. He didn't play great last season but he still threw for 19 TD's. His problem has always been his inability to stay healthy, but if healthy I think he gives us the best chance to win games.

What I don't want to see, and I fear we will, is another QB merry go round under Tuberville. All good football teams need a starting QB, you can't have 3 guys rotating in and out of games depending on who's got the hotter hand at any point in time.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #112
UCBearcats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Sadly I think we will be going nowhere with any of the 3. That said, I have seen enough of Kiel. INT's and injuries have become the norm. Moore throws a bunch of picks as well. hopefully he learned from his experience and takes better care of the ball but I have my doubts.
That's a little harsh, Moore was a freshman last season and Trail is a freshman this season, I don't think the problem of going nowhere rests on those guy's shoulders.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #113
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCBearcats View Post
That's a little harsh, Moore was a freshman last season and Trail is a freshman this season, I don't think the problem of going nowhere rests on those guy's shoulders.
I hope I'm wrong but I need a bit more consistency from Kiel or Moore. Both have shown flashes. I thought Kiel was a star in the making after his first season. The fact that he can't beat out Moore or Trail is concerning. I really think it has more to do with his health. Reports out of the scrimmage were that Moore hit quite a few defenders in stride. Reports are that our defense is looking very good. Considering they have been the weak spot of our team the last couple of years worries me as well. If we can't move the ball against them we may be in for a long season. Again I hope I'm wrong.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 AM   #114
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
IMO Kiel should be the starter, you're talking about a guy who set the all time record for TD passes by a UC QB 2 years ago. He didn't play great last season but he still threw for 19 TD's. His problem has always been his inability to stay healthy, but if healthy I think he gives us the best chance to win games.
i think his biggest problem has been carelessness with the football. even when healthy, he gives the ball away way too much.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #115
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Hayden - Go Bearcats!!

The one single thing I hope is none of these guys get hurt! Depth at QB position is good because the starter keeps pushing himself to improve in practices, thus raising the bar for the other two.

Being the first guy to play in the opener technically means Hayden is the starter. I think Ross and Gunner will also see at least a quarter each in that game. There's plenty of practice, plus the first game, for more evaluation before the starter is named for the Purdue game. Nothing against Hayden, but the starter will be the guy named to start game number two which very well could be Hayden or Ross or Gunner. This QB race isn't over.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:56 AM   #116
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
You a Kiel guy?
Being down 51-3 at the half still makes me laugh
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #117
UCBearcats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman81 View Post
i think his biggest problem has been carelessness with the football. even when healthy, he gives the ball away way too much.

His first season he threw 31 TD's and 13 INT's and last season he threw for 19 TD's vs 11 INT's. Hayden Moore threw 9 TD's and 11 INT's and more than half of those 9 TD's came in one game.

INT's have certainly been a problem for him but I don't think the numbers are as bad as everyone has made them out to be. If he didn't set the bar so high his first season I don't think everyone would be so down on him now. If he could stay healthy and on the field I think you'd see his numbers more closely resemble his first season than last season.

I'm shocked the coaching staff isn't going with Kiel but I'm sure they have their reasons. I just don't see how we are better positioned to win with anyone besides Kiel as the starter.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:04 AM   #118
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Is Kiel in tip-top shape? I know he was away from the team for a while.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #119
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
His first season he threw 31 TD's and 13 INT's and last season he threw for 19 TD's vs 11 INT's. Hayden Moore threw 9 TD's and 11 INT's and more than half of those 9 TD's came in one game.

INT's have certainly been a problem for him but I don't think the numbers are as bad as everyone has made them out to be. If he didn't set the bar so high his first season I don't think everyone would be so down on him now. If he could stay healthy and on the field I think you'd see his numbers more closely resemble his first season than last season.

I'm shocked the coaching staff isn't going with Kiel but I'm sure they have their reasons. I just don't see how we are better positioned to win with anyone besides Kiel as the starter.
Exactly! Moore is nothing to write home about. I can't wait for this QB circus to start.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:56 AM   #120
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Is anyone else still waiting to receive their season tickets? I am and its hard to believe the season is one week away. What's wrong with UC ticket office?
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote