Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 08-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #31
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
I am pretty high on Diarra from the small sample I have seen. He is way more muscular than I would have thought. He also seems like a gym rat, he has posted a ton of videos of him shooting in the gym on the Gun, playing against guys etc. He is way more skilled than Scott imo. Hopefully Scott has had a good off season. I could see Diarra taking some of his minutes this year. We have some serious shot blocking weapons his year and rebounding should not be an issue.
I certainly like Diarra's upside over Scott because of his outside shot and size advantage. They have a similar athletic makeup in terms of defense and rebounding. My question about either of them is where they fit in offensively? Clark and Washington provide us with both an inside and outside scoring presence. They can score from both places if needed. There isn't really a place the offense "bogs down" because of where they are on the court. They can draw a defender out.

If there is a lack of slashing or dribbling prowess from Scott and Diarra playing from the perimeter (and neither possesses much of an inside scoring threat)...how do we work them into an offensive scheme?

I can imagine a guy like Williams (or Moore) fitting in by virtue of being able to slash and drive as well as being able to knock down an outside shot. Williams may be athletic enough to help block a couple of shots on the interior. Diarra has 3-4 inches on these guys but Scott may only have 1-2 inches or so. Diarra has a better chance of defending inside as well has a better outside shot (than Scott) but I'm not sure he's going to be a better option than going small. He has to fit into the flow of the game and not be a cog in the wheel for movement.

I think you are right...Diarra seems like a gym rat so his potential is very positive in years to come but until he develops reliable moves inside or getting in the lane from the perimeter...he might be somewhat of a stall point on the perimeter with the ball. Perhaps less than Scott. If Scott can't fix his shot...he may be relegated to a defensive stopper in our system.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM   #32
rogerOH

rogerOH is on a distinguished road
The things I know about Tre Scott that I don't know about Diarra- Scott sets great picks/ had17 steals in 356 min. to Kyle Washington's 13 in 889 min./ played great defense without getting into foul trouble(like Brooks and Quadri) and had a much better assists/turnover ratio than K.W. or Q.M.- Hope he improves his FT shooting. Diarra looks awesome on paper but can he stay in front of people/ stay out of foul trouble and not turn the ball over.
rogerOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerOH View Post
The things I know about Tre Scott that I don't know about Diarra- Scott sets great picks/ had17 steals in 356 min. to Kyle Washington's 13 in 889 min./ played great defense without getting into foul trouble(like Brooks and Quadri) and had a much better assists/turnover ratio than K.W. or Q.M.- Hope he improves his FT shooting. Diarra looks awesome on paper but can he stay in front of people/ stay out of foul trouble and not turn the ball over.
I agree with you for the most part but Scott wasn't really asked to bang with true post players. His foul trouble was going to be limited in comparison to Brooks, Washington etc. I do like that he sets picks and doesn't throw the ball away. I don't think Diarra will have foul trouble the same way as Washington will because he's not the primary defender of the rim or of the opponents best interior scoring threat. He will be more of a complimentary defensive help kind of like Evans can also be in the case of small ball. Evans is a nice help defender in that type of scenario.

The question becomes...is the defensive help better than the offensive output?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
@TyresesPieces
I appreciate all of the schools that took the time out to recruit me, it's truly been a blessing! With that said, here is my Top5️⃣🎈 https://t.co/aIOe1MaQbR
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Said on Twitter he is announcing his school of choice tomorrow. You gotta think we are out of it considering he obviously isn't coming on his visit.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #36
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Said on Twitter he is announcing his school of choice tomorrow. You gotta think we are out of it considering he obviously isn't coming on his visit.
Weren't people saying Nebraska was in good shape? He certainly would've been an interest project. But I'm sure we'll find someone else out there who can give us what we're looking for.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:13 AM   #37
UCalum08
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Weren't people saying Nebraska was in good shape? He certainly would've been an interest project. But I'm sure we'll find someone else out there who can give us what we're looking for.
Sounds like it's going to be Iowa State.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #38
UCalum08
Epic Member

It's official, ISU it is.