Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 11+ 11 30.56%
UC wins by 6-10 14 38.89%
UC wins by 1-5 8 22.22%
Temple wins 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #501
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
But its not just 1 ******* game. Its his 3rd year in the program. And you are so stuck on the not a division 1 basketball player. Like holy shit dude. youre missing the entire point of the actual conversation because you are fixed on that...Hes a terrible basketball player. actually hes not a basketball player, hes an athletic athlete. And how can you say he didnt get playing time because he had a bad "game" it was 4 minutes. there are 40 in a game. If mick had confidence in his..."experienced role player" wouldnt he have more than a 4 minute leash in a game where an "experienced role player" is actually needed?. Our bigs were in foul trouble and mick had such little faith(and yes I can say this because if you are supposed to be an "experienced role player" your coach would play you in those exact circumstances)

Isnt that the point of the "role playing bench players" to play a role? well his role is supposed to come give quality minutes when Gary is tired or in foul trouble
He had 4 turnovers in 4 minutes. That is not typical from Scott. That is why he came out and that is why it was a bad game.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #502
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But its not just 1 ******* game. Its his 3rd year in the program. And you are so stuck on the not a division 1 basketball player. Like holy shit dude. youre missing the entire point of the actual conversation because you are fixed on that...Hes a terrible basketball player. actually hes not a basketball player, hes an athletic athlete. And how can you say he didnt get playing time because he had a bad "game" it was 4 minutes. there are 40 in a game. If mick had confidence in his..."established role player" wouldnt he have more than a 4 minute leash in a game where an "experienced role player" is actually needed?. Our bigs were in foul trouble and mick had such little faith(and yes I can say this because if you are supposed to be an "eestablished role player" your coach would play you in those exact circumstances)

Isnt that the point of the "role playing bench players" to play a role? well his role is supposed to come give quality minutes when Gary is tired or in foul trouble
I'm fixed on 1 part bc you keep defending it. Mississippi Valley State is ranked 351. Trevon Scott couldn't get 1 of their 13 scholarships? But as a SO he can get double digits minutes on a Top 15 team? I won't move on until this is addressed. This is your sh*tty take. Take it back and we can continue.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #503
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Get Cane back in there. Get Cumberland on track. Stop the turnover train.

Our ceiling is very high if we can somehow get these things done. Two of these things are easily addressed. One of them was addressed in the 2nd half last night. Another is as simple as waiting for an ankle to heal. Even if for some reason Cane doesn't start I think we all saw last night we will take 20-25 minutes of Cane over not having him in there.

The Cumberland issue is a head scratcher.
I don't think anyone questions the ceiling of the the team. I think people are questioning the actual play we have seen in some of these games.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #504
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
You have mentioned this "second unit" a few times. We don't have a Goon Squad anymore. It's not like we are going to take all the starters out and send in Brooks, Scott, Williams, Moore and Cane.
WH I am not saying we take the whole unit out. I'm saying you have to get scoring from each 5 on the court. You also have game circumstances to deal with. Oh and last night we did have Brooks, Scott, Evans, Williams and Moore in the game.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #505
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don't think anyone questions the ceiling of the the team. I think people are questioning the actual play we have seen in some of these games.
Right. Cumberland is off. We turn it over too much. Cane needs more minutes. That was my post....that's what needs fixed IMO.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #506
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hes getting double digit minutes in games against zero competition. He got double digit minutes against our two losses(maybe theres something to that) and since then has only seen 15 minutes COMBINED in 3 games against above average competition
The bolded part is how I know for a fact that you're just talking out of your ass. Not good.

Cronin's livelihood revolves around evaluating players and using them when he sees fit. I'm going to pull one from Waite's book and assume he's more qualified to make the call on Scott than the guy who doesn't even think he'd ride the bench at Mississippi Valley. Have a nice day. You aren't worth my time.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #507
Madman81
Elite Member

Madman81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I'm fixed on 1 part bc you keep defending it. Mississippi Valley State is ranked 351. Trevon Scott couldn't get 1 of their 13 scholarships? But as a SO he can get double digits minutes on a Top 15 team? I won't move on until this is addressed. This is your sh*tty take. Take it back and we can continue.
this is a stupid fixation on your part. the guy is making the point that scott sucks at basketball - to go after the mechanism of the statement for its specifics is stupid pedantry.
Madman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #508
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
WH I am not saying we take the whole unit out. I'm saying you have to get scoring from each 5 on the court. You also have game circumstances to deal with. Oh and last night we did have Brooks, Scott, Evans, Williams and Moore in the game.
You don't need 5 scorers on the court at all times. That is a luxury that few teams have when you also have to use the bench.

We had a unique situation last night with 2 bigs out and Cane being injured. You can't sit guys on the bench wondering if or when this will happen again. Plug and play as required.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #509
coachpipe
Banned

coachpipe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I mentioned it once and then I continued to say hes bad and hes awful...so you are the one still stuck on the least important thing ...There are much more important things to worry about other than is he good enough to play on 1 of the 352 division 1 basketball teams....

Hes not a role player on a team that will make a run in march. unless that role is playing 3-5 minutes
coachpipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:54 AM   #510
Big Perm

Big Perm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
They have 7 losses on the season already. They have some decent wins but they have a number of bad losses too. This isn't going to be a win that changes anything come March, I don't think.
Agree, but had we lost it certainly could have been.

A win is a win and I'm just glad the foul didn't cause us to go into OT. Temple will not make the tourney. The broadcasters last night mentioned possibility of 6 teams from AAC making NCAA's...they must be high.

Wichita, UC, SMU and Houston. Maybe UCF if they can get some wins versus prior mentioned four teams.
Big Perm is offline   Reply With Quote