Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 25+ 13 40.63%
UC wins by 15-24 15 46.88%
UC wins by 1-14 4 12.50%
USF wins 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #31
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
That temple game was the first game all year we played in the 50's in terms of possessions.

I mean you talk about sample size, 3 games is as small as it gets. We played 2 games in what is our normal overall pace of mid to upper 60's in possessions and one well below it. But Temple was doing every thing they could to slow that game way down. Its what they do.

We pushed the pace against SMU and you can go back and watch the film, we didn't really play stall ball much at all. And thats really all I care about. I want constant motion, and moving with purpose and momentum. I mean if you're going to point out our AAC offensive time of possession, then you have to also point out that our defensive time of possessions has skyrocketed to 19.1 seconds.

If we keep playing stingy defense and play offense like we have all year, Ill be happy. I think the pace were playing at now is just fine, right around the middle of the pack nationally.

The only way we ever get our overall tempo to be top 100 is if we do an all out press all game that is actually trying to generate TO's. Other than that., our defense is working great when we are forcing teams to use a lot of time to find an open look.
We can't allow the Temple and UCF type games on the road to be dictated by the opponent. We can't be a willing participant in that type of game. It's the only way we lose.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
We can't allow the Temple and UCF type games on the road to be dictated by the opponent. We can't be a willing participant in that type of game. It's the only way we lose.
you know we actually had 70 possessions at temple last year. of course we still only scored 56 points in that one.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #33
cincrulz11
Epic Member

and maybe the review of the temple tape was an aha moment for mick. somebody told me mick talked about pace again last night and said if we're stuck in a rock fight like vs temple anybody can win that game.

lets hope he takes it to heart and lets these guys go.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #34
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and maybe the review of the temple tape was an aha moment for mick. somebody told me mick talked about pace again last night and said if we're stuck in a rock fight like vs temple anybody can win that game.

lets hope he takes it to heart and lets these guys go.
Yeah he did say that.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #35
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
and he's only going to be a 50% free throw shooter. should probably replace him in late game situations.
So you can look at trends on the last 3 games to make a point but no one else can?

Also, Jacobs TO rate in conference play this year is about at the elite level it was for his entire freshman and sophomore seasons. Chances are he moves more toward a number like he has in AAC play. Historical data suggests that.

Evans protects the balll and does it at a high level. That’s a fact
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #36
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
Go back and watch how quickly temple defense got back.

I mean, what do you do ? Especially when shots aren’t falling.

Mick said on the radio that UCF presses so they can get their bigs down the floor.

We need to push the pace but it’s fsr easier to slow down a game then to speed it up
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Go back and watch how quickly temple defense got back.

I mean, what do you do ? Especially when shots aren’t falling.

Mick said on the radio that UCF presses so they can get their bigs down the floor.

We need to push the pace but it’s fsr easier to slow down a game then to speed it up
I get that it's harder but most teams manage to score more against Temple than we did. I'd guess they are pretty much all higher possession games too. It can be done. You just have to stay committed to it.

I don't think we should press UCF at all, at least to start the game. They'd be more than happy to take forever to get a shot off on every possession. Pressing would just play into that.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #38
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
So you can look at trends on the last 3 games to make a point but no one else can?

Also, Jacobs TO rate in conference play this year is about at the elite level it was for his entire freshman and sophomore seasons. Chances are he moves more toward a number like he has in AAC play. Historical data suggests that.

Evans protects the balll and does it at a high level. That’s a fact
if his role had stayed the same and he wasn't being asked to take care of the ball more often i would assume his TOrate would go back down to what it has been for his career.

however that isn't the case, his role has been expanded and he has made some very poor decisions making the adjustment.

i dont think a player of his level should have a problem improving his decision making in those situations as we go forward.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #39
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Kenpom's TORate is expected to increase as time with the ball increases. It would be nice to have a measure of how often a player turns it over per amount of time with the ball, but TORate isn't that stat. It simply measures how many times a player commits a turnover compared to how often he shoots.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #40
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Kenpom's TORate is expected to increase as time with the ball increases. It would be nice to have a measure of how often a player turns it over per amount of time with the ball, but TORate isn't that stat. It simply measures how many times a player commits a turnover compared to how often he shoots.

guys that just spot up shooters are going to have artificially lower rates (kenpom notes this).

its just too hard to be able to track how often a guy has the ball (time wise) vs how many times he turns it over.

percentage of possessions used on turnovers is still an important stat. makes me marvel at guys like jalen brunson.

Last edited by cincrulz11; 01-12-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: typed higher when i meant lower TOrate