Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
http://www.theringer.com/Article/New...2-QB-Maty-Mauk

Quote:
Maty Mauk l QB l 6’1 190 l Kenton (OH)

Strengths

- Pedigree/Intangibles. Comes from a football family and his older brother, Ben, put up prolific numbers in college. Growing up in that environment from an early age is a major plus. Also is a 4 year starter, that leadership and experience gained with that much playing time in an offense as elaborate and complicated as Kenton’s will help him immensely.

- Release Point. A huge strength for a QB who’s not as tall is to have a proper elevated release point, essentially where we come with the phrase for a QB who “plays bigger than his size.”

- Arm Strength. Similar to seeing a frail guy like Tim Lincecum bring the heat, the slight framed Mauk can sling it effortlessly down field in a way that will confuse and mesmerize you. The ball flies out of his hand without being lofty.

- Toughness. Will run and not shy away from some contact, while also displaying some deceptive speed.

- Escapability/Eyes. He’s able to avoid pressure due to a good pocket presence and feel but when he scrambles he keeps his eyes down field which shows a veteran attribute you love to see from a kid as young as he is.

Weaknesses

- Size. Not the tallest and certainly needs to bulk up some in order to withstand the wear and tear of a full college season. You’d like to see him up to at least 200 before the end of the ’12 cycle.

- Footwork. Maty can get a bit lazy at times with his footwork and become flatfooted and back heavy, meaning his weight has shifted to his heels and deflating much of the necessary velocity.

- Under Center. He played strictly out of the shot gun, so how he’ll translate in some sets is a mystery.

Maty has so many great qualities that make you excited for his future; a blend of intangibles and physical talents. His intelligence is what really separates him from the rest of the pack as the offense he comes out of is very advanced. His 4 years of experience speak highly, as does his family tradition. Seeing him flick the ball down field, running away from defenders, you’re surprised this is coming from a kid barely over 6 foot and isn’t even 200 pounds soaking wet. He has a very high floor which makes him a very safe, and attractive, QB to offer. Cincinnati, Notre Dame, and Missouri have all offered and he’d be a perfect fit into all of those offenses. He’s an above accurate passer, hits his WR’s in the chest and in stride especially on screens so he has the range of touch you love to see.

If Maty came in at 6’4 and 225 you’d probably be looking at a sure fire 5* QB, but the reality of the situation is he’s not. That still won’t stop him from being a high 4* QB with a very bright future. He has a desire to play in a similar fast paced offense in college and wants to play early. He’s more advanced than his brother Ben was at this age which is saying something since Ben threw for 3,000+/30 TD’s his senior season at Cinci. Maty would likely benefit from redshirting and bulking up a year or two, but regardless of whether he has that benefit or not we expect Maty to continue to put up huge numbers at the next level.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
So when's Maty going to give his verbal to the 'Cats?

UC is in on a bunch of high profile QB's for the 2012 class... with Coyne in the fold for 2011 and Weatherford I think they only need to land one of them and I think Mauk is their best shot as it stands right now.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:32 PM   #23
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.ph...&name=MatyMauk
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
swg
Epic Member

http://notredame.scout.com/2/1046635.html (free)

Quote:
A look at early names at the top of the Irish recruiting list for the Class of 2012. We continue our series with the quarterback position where the Irish have already targeted a trio of players.

As Brian Kelly has stated, the Irish will look to take a quarterback in each class in the coming years. For 2012, the Irish have issued a couple of offers looking to snag up their future signal caller early in the process.

Maty Mauk: Kenton (OH) High School

HT: 6-foot-2 / WT: 190-pounds

Scout.com Ranking: 3-Star

The Breakdown: Just like Kiel, head coach Brian Kelly knows all about Maty and offered him during his freshman year of high school while at Cincinnati. While many just assumed the younger Mauk held an Irish offer, it was just in the past few weeks the Irish staff stressed their solid interest. Maty knows what to expect from Brian Kelly and while older brother Ben may be pushing towards Kelly, Maty is looking at several different options as more programs are seeing his overall potential. Like Kiel, many felt Mauk would accept his offer without much thought; however, it seems the plan now is to look at a few things before pushing forward.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #25
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
http://notredame.scout.com/2/1046635.html (free)

Quote:
A look at early names at the top of the Irish recruiting list for the Class of 2012. We continue our series with the quarterback position where the Irish have already targeted a trio of players.

As Brian Kelly has stated, the Irish will look to take a quarterback in each class in the coming years. For 2012, the Irish have issued a couple of offers looking to snag up their future signal caller early in the process.

Maty Mauk: Kenton (OH) High School

HT: 6-foot-2 / WT: 190-pounds

Scout.com Ranking: 3-Star

The Breakdown: Just like Kiel, head coach Brian Kelly knows all about Maty and offered him during his freshman year of high school while at Cincinnati. While many just assumed the younger Mauk held an Irish offer, it was just in the past few weeks the Irish staff stressed their solid interest. Maty knows what to expect from Brian Kelly and while older brother Ben may be pushing towards Kelly, Maty is looking at several different options as more programs are seeing his overall potential. Like Kiel, many felt Mauk would accept his offer without much thought; however, it seems the plan now is to look at a few things before pushing forward.

See now I thought it was that Ben was pushing for UC- not Kelly.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #26
swg
Epic Member

Ben let it be known to me that he dislikes ND alot.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #27
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
After Tate Forcier left the program the new Michigan coaches were left scrambling to find a late addition to the 2011 class. They found a diamond in the rough with Texas QB Russell Bellomy, and patched the hole. While they picked up Bellomy, the Michigan coaches will still be looking for a quarterback in this class, and QB Maty Mauk (6'2", 185 lbs/Kenton, Ohio) was the latest to receive an offer from the Wolverines. Here's what he had to say.

TOM: I guess the main question right now is if Michigan has offered you yet?

MATY: Yes, they offered me yesterday (Thursday). The offensive line coach has been the one recruiting me from Michigan.

TOM: So is that five offers now?

MATY: Six, Illinois just offered too. (Bowling Green, Michigan, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, and Missouri)

TOM: I know your brother was at Cincinnati when Brian Kelly was there, so you almost have two separate connections now with Cincinnati and Notre Dame. Are they the two that are at the top right now?

MATY: I'm wide open right now, so everyone (including Michigan) has a good chance.

TOM: Spring ball is going to start to pick up soon and you're not too far from Ann Arbor, are you going to make it up to Michigan any time soon?

MATY: Yeah, I'm going to go up to Michigan sometime in the next couple weeks.

TOM: What do you want to experience on the visit, or what about Michigan is interesting to you?

MATY: The stadium and the tradition they have is great. The offense is going to be a force, and just to meet the coaches.

TOM: Taking visits this early, is this the start of the process for you or do you want to get things done pretty quickly?

MATY: No, I'll probably take my time with everything; I think I'm going to wait. I'm hearing from the schools that have offered and Arkansas, Auburn, Louisville, Penn State, Kentucky, Iowa, LSU, and a few others nationally.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/tomvh-qb-...michigan-offer
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
swg
Epic Member

Right now, I'd say ND and UC look good. He's smart to keep his options open though. Depending on which QB commits first at a school could make their verbal offer (or written) null and void.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #29
psax889906
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swg View Post
Right now, I'd say ND and UC look good. He's smart to keep his options open though. Depending on which QB commits first at a school could make their verbal offer (or written) null and void.
Yeah... hoping ND lands someone else first.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #30
swg
Epic Member

Me too.